* This month with your Nikon 1 - January 1018 *

Started Jan 2, 2018 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - January 1018 *

A little late but not less cordial - happy new year 2018 to all of you!

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either in this thread, or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
I am the walrus

This scene reminded me of the old Beatles song... I didn't get it why someone would swim close to these animals. A moment later the group panicked and jumped into the water all at once - looked rather dangerous to me.

Off the coast in Namibia - processed in Capture One 10

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Broomsticks and Unidentified Flying Objects

There’s all kinds of witchcraft going on in the forests of Denmark. Borrowed a high speed broomstick for a ride and collided almost with some Unidentified Flying Objects, which were taking off and crossing my path through the air.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,169
Dunnock

taken last year in Dec, no chance of photography in 2018 as yet

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Allappuzha

Allappuzha is known as the Venice of the East. I had the fortune to do an overnight houseboat trip on its backwaters recently. This little shrine on the water just happens to be a short walk from where our boat had moored for the night.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
The AW-1 doing what it can do ...

Above water in the rain

and below water

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
polarbear1010 Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - January 1018 *

This is a photo from Aug 2017. I overexposed the white breast feathers a bit and did my best to save them. Hope I did okay, I'm not the best with post processing

Edit: I'm also wondering if I should've cropped closer. C&C welcome

Broad-tailed hummingbird

Roses with glove

Going through some older images, I found this rather strange one.

Justin9999 Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Re: Broomsticks and Unidentified Flying Objects

That is cool.

How did you do that?

Justin9999's gear list:Justin9999's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
A bit of winter fun

Took a few shots of my kids having fun on the slides. Wish there was a built-in ND filer in J5 like in some modern compacts to get some panning shots under bright sun (aren’t we getting too spoiled by technology these days? :-))

All J5 + 10-100 PD.

I adjust white balance manually in every shot and looks like I pulled too much to the warm side in this one comparing to other samples below. Also a bit dark as well...

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Re: Broomsticks and Unidentified Flying Objects

Justin9999 wrote:

That is cool.

How did you do that?

It’s the old technique of zooming while the shutter is open.

You start zooming and the press the shutter button.

As for the flying objects - you have to be lucky, that there is something that crosses the frame diagonally. No tricks here.

I’m not sure if zooming with an electronic lens is healthy.
At least I stopped it enough down to avoid the wide apertures, that change during zooming.

For the processing I changed the WB to tungsten and applied a bit of split toning in DxO.

Here’s the situation safely back on earth, but still a bit dizzy

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499
Between clover flowers

Between clover flowers

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Between clover flowers

Wow that is a beeutiful shot!

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499

Thanks Crashton,

I was practicing with the tilt screen down in the grass at the bees knees level..

Bees knees

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Crashton

I think I may like this one even more. Grant shots! Keep up the good work.

Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
greggyh Regular Member • Posts: 157
Water and Sky

greggyh's gear list:greggyh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +10 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Eye Contact

Damn, clipped the wing.

Kestrel

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Crashton
Re: Eye Contact

Still a wonderful shot! I wouldn't have noticed the wing had you not mentioned it.

Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: Eye Contact

Thank you. - The Sony rx10 iv might have got the full bird with its focal length of 600mm. But then, where would be the challenge if getting the shot were too easy...

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Justin9999 Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Firat Use of Fill Flash

I just learned what fill flash is. Tagged my wife & son on a sunny mountain top. I noticed much saturation, so I figured I would see how far I could take it in post processing.

Feedback, tips, and education are appreciated.

Justin9999's gear list:Justin9999's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads