* This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2017 *

Started Jun 29, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2017 *

Welcome to another monthly thread. I have immensely enjoyed the contributions throughout the previous months, and am looking forward to another great variety in July. Thank you all for posting and viewing!

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2017 *

Surajpur Bird Sanctuary, India

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
floating art

There’s a exhibition of floating art near the harbour of Vejle in Denmark.
Some of the work is a bit disturbing when you come really close.

VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Trip to a local attraction center (with J5 + 18 1.8)

This lens continues to amaze me with its versatility.

Nothing special, just my kids at the local attraction center. They are pretty much 90% on my subjects, so this is all I have to share most of the time ...

Waiting in line for Go Carts...

This one is cropped probably up to 50%, I wanted to go for motion blur, so had to use highest aperture. Unfortunately this was the only spot close enough to the tracks but the sun was behind causing strong shadow on the face. A lot of noise even at ISO 160, but this is limitation of the sensor which I have to cope with as a price for compactness. I don't have any long lenses yet but 70-300 should arrive soon. Hope it will open more opportunities for "action" photography like this one but with better quality. Good light is critical with smaller sensors and being able to chose the right spot with longer lens should help improve the IQ. At least in my theory

Having fun at the Fun Centre. The seats were constantly vibrating and shaking so it was impossible  to get a good focus as well as avoid motion blur... But the "decisive moments" of fun were exactly at the peak of the action, thus this is the keeper despite of lack of sharpness...

Tried some "moody" portraits near window to get a bit better light... Surprisingly, both kids were quite cooperative, which is not often the case

Same spot... Just noticed that the boy has some scratches on his face which I didn't retouch. He refuses to tell where he got them from, my theory is that he might have been "practicing" shaving but he denies it...

I also brought 10 2.8 but found it more difficult to use and images showed more noise even at the same ISO, don't know why (underexposure, distance maybe). Here is a couple just to show the difference. Should have brought 32 1.2 as well; they don't add any weight at all

I think I will be using 10 2.8 more for landscape type photography rather than people.

Again, same spot as above...

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145

Tbilisi, Georgia ...

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 999
Asters in a Field

Taken during an evening walk in a nearby park.

Asters in a Field (Nikon V1 + FT-1 + AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G)

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
anotherrich Regular Member • Posts: 449

Arriving at an Independence Day parade (Bainbridge Island WA USA)

anotherrich

anotherrich's gear list:anotherrich's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 +3 more
Oldroller Junior Member • Posts: 29

I am a new member, so am not familiar with all the etiquette. I have downloaded a few wild life photos in my gallery. I and my wife live in Lichfield Staffordshire UK and we are fortunate in having a large lake right near to the City centre, where a variety of wild fowl nest on the banks and on two small floating islands.

Oldroller

Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

Got the old J1 out of the car boot mounted it on my smallest tripod, then placed it on the car roof & had at it shooting fireworks last night.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Jakes Senior Member • Posts: 2,011
before the parade

the lineup...19 Model A s

Winner ...1st place

-- hide signature --

jakes
WSSA# 107

VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Arrived!!! 70-300CX test shots, a little bit of everything, no kids this time :)

The final lens in my N1 setup arrived today, faster than I expected. Was so excited when picking it up that forgot to ask about warranty. Maybe will call them tomorrow to confirm that I am getting 5 years Nikon Canada warranty.

Came home in the evening and went on a quick walk around my neighbourhood.

Overall first impressions - a lot of fun to use photography wise (see pictures below). Handling is nice, it is compact and light for what it is, solid feel, made in Japan, sharp. Time will tell about reliability though. I am not sure if it is better to keep it extended while on a walk or constantly expand and collapse. I am afraid it may suck up a lot of dust as the gaps looks rather unsealed. Need to come up with some strategy how to minimize dust collection.

Well, here is some test shots with a bit of commentary.

This shot is at 300mm, hand held, I stand on the hill at least 10 miles away from the downtown. There was a lot of visible hot air movement, you may see the effect if zoom in. I think it still looks good considering all circumstances.

Every time I walk by branches sticking through the fence, I can't help but take a shot

I love the "picturesque" effect you can get with long zooms, like this one. Really fun to play with.

I think I was going for longer exposure here to create motion effect, should have tried f5.6 as well to freeze water drops...

Testing compression and selective focus effects ...

After birthday party... Or maybe a garage sale?  I just liked the contrast of bright balloons against dark shadow on the background wall...

Wow, don't our bunnies look a bit creepy? Again, so fun to be able to shoot these creatures without scaring them away... Actually, it was scared away by the dog, otherwise I would have much more samples... Just less than 5% crop at the bottom to compensate for out-of-frame ears.

I am not a birder but couldn't resist this little guy posing for me Had to raise ISO as it was in the shade.

NIKON MACRO LENS ATTACHMENT 4T with step-down ring.This is just a quick snap as I was quite tired from the walk (did I mention we have hills? ). The flower is about the size of a quarter. No crop. Zoom 300mm, distance about 40 cm or 15 inches.

The same flower with 3T and 4T lens attachments added together. Distance is about 20cm or 8 inches. At f10 the DOF is still razor thin. Hand held, manually focused by moving lens back and forth from the subject. I think I am going to stick to only one attachment at a time, just way too hard to focus.

I also tried catching some high flying airplanes but couldn't get them on the screen in time. It is crazy hard, maybe I should zoom out first and then zoom in?

Anyways, I think I am going to love this lens. Hope it will last.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Oldroller Junior Member • Posts: 29

Super shots Bijan.

Oldroller

DaveyB Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
An Adder at Hay Bridge Nature Reserve

This Adder shot was taken with a V2 and 70-300 CX, a week ago,

-- hide signature --

Cheers
David

DaveyB's gear list:DaveyB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic G85 +4 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,164
Young Coots

looking more and more like adults every day

and finally the hail Mary reaction shot, literally came out of nowhere and just had enough time focus and mash the shutter for a single shot....slightly motion blurred but it was a lucky lucky picture

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Wonderland Trail - Mt Rainier NP

Since the famous subalpine meadows of Mt Rainier are still melting out, I went on a lower elevation hike on the Wonderland Trail in Steven's Canyon. My V2 was used for all shots with the 18.5mm used for flower shots and the 6.7-13mm used for all wide shots.  Due to the extreme dynamic range of the sunlight vs forest shadows, I was often under exposing by 1.0-1.3 EV and still got some small areas of blown highlights. Tweaked in the exposure etc. on raw files using LR 5.7.

Wonderland Trail by Steven's Creek.

Bunchberry and Vanilla Leaf.

Bunchberry

Bridge over Steven's Creek

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,522
Re: Arrived!!! 70-300CX test shots, a little bit of everything, no kids this time :)

Hey, looking good! Glad to have see someone else here with 3T and 4T close up lenses. They are my go to on my 30-110 for macro. Enjoy your 70-300!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Crashton
A couple of old coots.....

Nikon J1 10-30-pd

Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Crashton
Georgette....

Nikon J1 10-30-pd

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,522
Random shots in the garden

I like to use my 30-110 with Nikon 3T and 4T close up lenses as my "macro" or close up lens. I also have tried them on the 55-200 VRII with mixed results, will have to experiment further. The shots with the 55-200 used the 4T.

This little guy was only about 5mm long, anyone know what it is?

Mulberries, yum!

No close up lens here obviously.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Crashton
Where's Waldo.....

It's right here, Waldo Ohio for the best fried baloney there is.

We took our little roadster.....

Nikon J1 10-30 pd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads