* This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2017 *

Started Dec 2, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2017 *

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either in this thread, or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,438
Pot of gold ?

I'm still a beginner at these type of photos. Struggling to get the colours, focus,  shadows, highlights, contrast etc right.

OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Thirsty

The water hole in the desert is the meeting point for animals of all sizes.
Etosha park, Namibia.

Nikon 1 V3 with 70~300 CX, processed in Capture One 10

Cheers,
Holger

Tongariro Regular Member • Posts: 424
Mowgli

J5 and 10mm f2.8.

My apology, a cat photo.

Mowgli, touted to us as bomb proof, and so he is. His first action upon arrival, was to unleash with both paws like Mike Tyson upon our labradors chin. Surprisingly no reaction other than puzzlement. Large bush rats are not faring so well though.

I just purchased the J5, and am totally in love with it. Superbly built, and I'm quite happy to take it out for almost any purpose other than erratic action when the D500 does the job.

Don

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2017 *

Up lift

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Disneyland last night - princess castle

We got off work early yesterday so I decided to run over to Disneyland since it's close to where I'm staying out here in CA. I walked around for about 3 hours and took pictures, but right before I left, I snapped this of the castle.

Really enjoying the J5 and the 6.7-13 and 10-100 last night. A winning set for sure for this kind of stuff.

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLRs - D750, D7200, D90
Compacts - Coolpix A, Nikon V1, Panasonic GH4

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +22 more
30-110 at the limit

From my window.  Could not get closer.

OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Smile - you are on camera!

Not really good at it, but the giraffe at least tried!

Post-processed in Capture One 10

Cheers,
Holger

wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
AW-1 in the garden

In the garden, early summer down here in New Zealand!

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: AW-1 in the garden

Nice shots wolfie, I enjoyed them. I'm looking out the window & watching the snow fall here in the Midwestern USA.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
AW1 weather

It was AW1 weather today. Still people are working outside to get the renovated road ready for opening on Saturday.

It’s Kirkegade (Church Street) and archaeologists found medieval skeletons and other stuff close to the church.

wolfie
Re: AW-1 in the garden

Crashton wrote:

Nice shots wolfie, I enjoyed them. I'm looking out the window & watching the snow fall here in the Midwestern USA.

I'm originally from New York - and I do miss the "white Christmas" of my child hood memories. But nice sunny weather is appreciated whatever holiday it lines up with!

-- hide signature --

Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2017 *

There is a bit of a story behind these images at Kanyakumari. I just got back from vacation in South India. We were extremely fortunate with our timing around Cyclone Ockhi. It struck the the area hard on Dec 1 while we were further up the coast in Kerala. By the time we got down to Kanyakumari, the most southern point on the Indian subcontinent, the storm had past but severe damage was apparent as our train got closer. There was widespread crop damage from wind and flooding. Trees, banana plantations were flatten. Coconut plantations, rice fields flooded.

Later we learned of the extent of property damage and lost of lives, especially fishermen who were caught out at sea. As of yesterday, according to the government 70 fishermen died and 250 are still missing. In reaction to allegations of a lack of government warning on the cyclone and poor rescue efforts villagers staged a mass protest blocking the railway on Dec . Fortunately, we had made our way out the area 4 days earlier.

sunrise at Kanyakumari

sunset at Kanyakumari

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
A few from the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta (J5 + 6.7-13)

It was a brief family trip, not much time for photography. Here is a few that are more from general than family category. It is a very dark place to photograph, so VR helped a lot to get more keepers. There are many original artifacts on display there, often 60-80 million years old. The place expanded a lot since last time we were there about 4 years ago, much more to see and for kids to play with. We enjoyed it much more this time.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
wolfie
Re: Mowgli

Your photo EXIF says Nikon D500 and 300m lens?

KiwiDon wrote:

J5 and 10mm f2.8.

My apology, a cat photo.

Mowgli, touted to us as bomb proof, and so he is. His first action upon arrival, was to unleash with both paws like Mike Tyson upon our labradors chin. Surprisingly no reaction other than puzzlement. Large bush rats are not faring so well though.

I just purchased the J5, and am totally in love with it. Superbly built, and I'm quite happy to take it out for almost any purpose other than erratic action when the D500 does the job.

Don

-- hide signature --

Hiwhat
Hiwhat Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Mowgli

wolfie wrote:

Your photo EXIF says Nikon D500 and 300m lens?

Well, it`s a black cat - and she`s crossing from the right.

Hiwhat's gear list:Hiwhat's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Re: 30-110 at the limit

Halina123 wrote:

From my window. Could not get closer.

Tiny, shy and easily startled.

dleuen1 Forum Member • Posts: 68
Blue Heron

Nikon 1V3 70-300 CX

dleuen1's gear list:dleuen1's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +14 more
Sue Hart Forum Member • Posts: 58
Wheat on a Cold Clear Morning

This wheat was hiding from the ice winds up against the greenhouse.

Sue Hart's gear list:Sue Hart's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus Stylus 1s Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon 1 V2 +12 more
wolfie
B&W Moods of a tree on the beach

Bleached white tree standing on a beach, with different renderings in post processing.

Nikon AW-1 with 11-27 UW lens.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads