* This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2017 *

Started Mar 31, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2017 *

Continuing this monthly thread. Without any new N1 gear on the horizon, let's work with what we have and get the most out of it.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,166
an older shot of aircraft

been mainly shooting the Fuji X100 recently, will be doing some  aircraft stuff next week though with the Nikon 1

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Drplusplus Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Re: an older shot of aircraft

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

been mainly shooting the Fuji X100 recently, will be doing some aircraft stuff next week though with the Nikon 1

Very clean result!  PC-21s, are they?

Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2017 *

J5, 70-300 at 155mm, f/7.1, 1/40th, ISO 160, MEIKE tubes

OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Parallel worlds

This is one of my favourites from last year. It demonstrates the main advantages of the V3: high frame rate, large-ish buffer, fast focus acquisition, small form factor. And also the disadvantages: noise and colour degradation at higher ISO levels.

On the underground. The high frame rate allowed to capture the exact moment when the train left the station and entered the tunnel. The image layers are a direct view of the platform escalators, a mirror reflecting the platform, and the train window reflecting the inside of the train.

With a DSLR, everybody would have been staring at me; the N1 however got ignored, as usual...

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Re: dreamy rose plus

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +1 more
detritus Regular Member • Posts: 450
Better Late than Never

Nankeen Night Heron

...marking my entry to the CX 70-300 world! And now I must make up for all that lost time!

Mid-Autumn here and the strong, ever-present sunlight of Summer is well and truly past. I took this about a week ago, just hours after picking up the lens. The sun was already setting behind the trees, but the late hour was a good opportunity to test the VR and AF performance.

-- hide signature --
 detritus's gear list:detritus's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
detritus Regular Member • Posts: 450

I like it! It seems like extension tubes provide a huge boost to the N1's creative appeal, when in the right hands. I think you've done a great job here. Would like to see a version with a bit more contrast (darker background) for a bit of a "dramatic" look to it.

-- hide signature --
 detritus's gear list:detritus's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Waiting for My Lenses

Two painful weeks

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
The usual stuff, and a By-catch

Just my usual small birds in flight (sBIF), and a by-catch.

Chaffinch

Hawfinch

Treecreeper

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

detritus wrote:

I like it! It seems like extension tubes provide a huge boost to the N1's creative appeal, when in the right hands. I think you've done a great job here. Would like to see a version with a bit more contrast (darker background) for a bit of a "dramatic" look to it.

Thanks! A lot of folks are getting fantastic results with tubes and the 30-110, I tend to use them with the 70-300.

This is a screen grab of an attempt at your request. Notice it starts to drive some of the background into shadow clipping, although we may not care about clipping in that part of the image.

Wu Jiaqiu

Drplusplus wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

been mainly shooting the Fuji X100 recently, will be doing some aircraft stuff next week though with the Nikon 1

Very clean result! PC-21s, are they?

those are PC-9M's, just had to make sure

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Tulips at Dawn

These are a year old, but I figure now is a good time to share some tulip shots.

The challenge of bright sunrise vs. flowers still in the shade.

SOOC JPG.  Just didn't see much reason to tweak this one with PP.

Also SOOC JPG.  Having a bit of fun with DOF.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Drplusplus wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Very clean result! PC-21s, are they?

those are PC-9M's, just had to make sure

I am not that familiar with Pilatus products--I guess if I was I would have realized these don't have five-bladed props so they wouldn't be 21s.

I always enjoy your airplane work.  Please keep posting it!

purpwaltz
purpwaltz Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Tulips at Dawn

Lovely shots! The first two in particular!

purpwaltz's gear list:purpwaltz's gear list
Leica Q Leica D-Lux 7 Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-T3 Leica M Typ 240 +7 more
purpwaltz
Re: The usual stuff, and a By-catch

Fantastic pictures! Catching birds in flight must be a hugely challenging task, and you have done it so well!

purpwaltz

What a great shot! Curious - why did you step down to f9, rather than use a larger aperture? Thanks.

Wu Jiaqiu

purpwaltz wrote:

What a great shot! Curious - why did you step down to f9, rather than use a larger aperture? Thanks.

shooting shutter priority so i can get a shutter speed slow enough to show the props blurred, this automatically chooses the aperture

purpwaltz

A few images from a morning walk with the J5 in tow...the J5 is also such a pleasure to carry on walks - lightweight, but with top notch image quality.

Frangipani flower on a manhole cover...

Flowers and fence...

DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: Tulips at Dawn

Thanks purpwaltz.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads