* This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2017 *

Started May 31, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2017 *

Another month gone by, and again without any new N1 gear on the horizon. Let's continue to work with what we have and get the most out of it.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Joyride

Referring back to last month's thread, where I had posted this picture of a mouse failing to reach the makeshift bird feeder:

Tree-climbing mouse in search for dinner - Nikon 1 V3 converted with Capture 1

In the meantime, the normal feeding station is back in business. It is suspended from a nylon thread, spinning around itself if birds or the wind give it a push:

Processed in Capture NX2 - for me still the best raw converter for the V3 NEFs

Seeing the new target, the mouse tried a different strategy. With a dauntless jump, it managed to land on the slippery feeder:

Again a quick conversion with Capture NX2

Then tried to reach one of the windows - it only worked on the 2nd attempt (1st ended in a straight 1-meter drop to the ground):

Using Capture 1 - renders in different colour tonalities - not sure if prefering this over Capture NX2?

After eating as many seeds as possible:

Converted using Capture 1

... it stayed on board and very obviously enjoyed the ride on the merry-go-round for another 20 minutes:

Back to Capture NX2

Capture 1 - trying to get the same colour rendition as from the Nikon product

After all, the Capture 1 output is fully acceptable - gets more out of underexposed high-ISO files

By the way, if you compare the lens EXIF between the first two pictures and the later ones, you'd detect my latest acquisition. Don't know why I had waited so long... more reach definitely helps with the feather and fur detail at high ISO - very happy so far.

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
patabi Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2017 *

The 10-100 non PD with a Canon 500D.

http://www.pbase.com/patabi/image/165548170/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/patabi/image/165548167/original.jpg

Have a nice day

-- hide signature --

Patrick

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,158
Heron

it seems to be at the same place everyday, yesterday i used the V1 today with J5 and 300mm/4

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,158
Flight of the Dragonfly

weather is great here so a great day at some nearby pools for subjects other than birds, J5 and 300mm/4

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
FerruginousHawk Regular Member • Posts: 403
V2 Still Works

I pulled out the V2 this morning to give it a tryout. Thinking of taking it on a trip next month. Anyway, my cat seemed like a good subject for a trial photo.

-- hide signature --
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Re: around town

All except the last one was taken with the 10-30mm which I have not used much since the factory recall fix. See the distortions in the extreme left, right sides. Seems the lens is not aligned properly.

Jericho Sailing Centre

lessons

Spanish Banks

Sun, snow, sand and sea

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
J5 tries junior soccer

Well, the soccer season is at its peak and having more than 600 shots from my trusty D300 still in queue for processing I decided to take a break from "being serious" and give J5 an opportunity to show what it can do. The longest lens I have for it is 32 mm so I decided not to sweat looking for the best position or uncluttered background and simply sit in the lounge chair along with other parents and just give it a few clicks when the players will run a few feet away from me.

First impressions:

• Using LCD screen requires some time to get used to but not totally unmanageable. With some practice good results can be achieved even on a sunny day.
  • Autofocus is a bit of a pain and needs some practice too. Continuous tracking requires manual activation by pressing Ok button twice which takes time and needs to be redone every time the screen goes to sleep. And with many players running around it jumps from subject to subject unpredicably. Eventually I got tired of this and switched to the full zone autofocus to make it less irritating. With that, unfortunately, most of my shots came out focusing on the wrong subject.
  • Burst mode is enjoyable to use, if only I could work out more reliable focusing technique.
  • The lens - 32mm is not a sports lens, and at 1.2 the amount of CA in contrast areas is a bit overwhelming. Subject isolation at close shots is nice though. I would love to test 70-300 with J5 before buying it to see how it performs.
  • IQ - apart from random focusing, I think IQ is on par with my expectations from Nikon 1 system. Without pixel peeping, I would give it a 6 out of 10 on a DSLR scale (!) with my iPhone being a 2 or 3.

So, overall, I think the first attempt at sports shots was a mixed bag of "the good, the bad, and the ugly". I feel there is still a room for improvement with longer lens and more practice with focusing technique. Using small and lightweight camera was enjoyable overall and I can see wanting to do it more often in the future.

Here is a couple of shots, from a total of about 50-60 shots that I took, which I nominated as being close to keepers. You can see on the second shot that the camera picked the girls behind as a focus point which is almost impossible I would say. Maybe it's just the girls moving toward me shifted the plane. Any tips for better focusing technique with J5 are welcome as well as some thoughts of using 70-300 for this kind of shooting.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
A wheel of green cheese....

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
FerruginousHawk Regular Member • Posts: 403
A little waterfall in the park.

-- hide signature --
detritus Regular Member • Posts: 450
Wide Eye

Wish I'd stolen my partner's J5 for this shot, but I was out hiking with the V2 as a backup to the DSLR gear and she doesn't trust me with it, haha. I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm gravitating more and more to the wide angle lens on the 1 series. It's so much fun having it available that different perspective available.

In this case the tilt screen and the better IQ would have been a godsend, but I'm still happy enough.

Does the colour need a bit of work still? Still needs a bit of tinkering I think.

-- hide signature --
 detritus's gear list:detritus's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
Johannes Zander Regular Member • Posts: 420
IR with a converted V1
 Johannes Zander's gear list:Johannes Zander's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4S Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +21 more
Ganesh Ramachandran New Member • Posts: 19
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2017 *

I'm posting after a long time and after coming back from a trek in the Himalayas. I had taken 2 cameras with me - Nikon V3 with the 30-110mm lens and the Omd-em5 and a couple of lenses. Am posting some pictures taken with the V3 here.  Any comments welcome.

Ganesh Ramachandran's gear list:Ganesh Ramachandran's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS +3 more
D Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Seeing Red

Just got back from a trip to the midwest to observe the warbler migration. A secondary objective was to see if the V3/70-300mm could replace my DSLR as my primary birding camera. The guy in the picture, while not a warbler, provided a nice target of opportunity.

Nikon V3 / 70-300mm ISO 2000, f/5.6, 1/1600, 200mm (Scarlet Tanager)

THE exif information got lost in the workflow I use to get the raws from the camera to Lightroom to DP review so I manually provided the settings in the caption.  I'm not totally comfortable with the V3 set-up so most of my shots were at least a stop off of optimum. This one could have easily been shot at 1/800, dropping the ISO to 1000.

D Williams's gear list:D Williams's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 +31 more
Deviantfotografer
Deviantfotografer Contributing Member • Posts: 977
Cork Tree With The Nikon 1 J1 Camera (10mm-30mm lens)

I took this picture with my trusty Nikon 1 J1 with the 10-30mm Nikkor Kit Lens... I liked the colors of the moss on the cork tree. I wanted to take a macro photo, but this is the only lens I have with this camera. I was SO surprised as to how close I can get with this really sharp kit lens... Maybe I just got a good one this time!!!! HEHEHE!!!!! Hope you like the photo and C&C is always welcome as long as your kind!!!! HEHEHE!!!! Thanks!!!!

Nikon 1 J1 Camera With The Nikon Nikkor 10-30mm lens!

-- hide signature --

Jarrod M Campbell

Deviantfotografer's gear list:Deviantfotografer's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H300 Canon PowerShot SX530 +14 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
Some from WA State

J5 and 70-300

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,493
A Cat, A V1, and a Fisheye

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Backyard Medley (J5+32mm)

A few from May-June...

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,520
Re: Joyride

Adorable sequence, what a brave little rodent!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,520
Re: Flight of the Dragonfly

That is an awesome shot, wide open, hand held, no VR! One of the best DIFs I've ever seen!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads