* This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2017 *

Started Nov 1, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2017 *
2

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either in this thread, or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

  • Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Safari frustration with V3+70~300CX
1

Just came back from Namibia and started scanning my wildlife shots. What had already indicated itself on the camera screen is now confirming itself on the larger monitor: the V3 + 70~300CX combination was struggling with acquiring focus and producing decently sharp images. See below for one of the better samples, where I was able to somewhat improve the output through sharpening steps in Capture NX2. A lot more came out much worse than that.

The majority of failed shots were either misfocused or without any clear focus. Awful bokeh. No improvement with manual focus either. Tried variations of VR normal/active/off but not difference either. The vehicle engine was off, windows open, and I was able to lean on a stable base. I had guys with Sony RX10's left and right of me who got nice clean shots of the same scenery.

Other shots came out as expected though, e.g. birds in flight or flower shots. No idea why the large-animal shots were off...

Oryx antelope - apparently f ront-focused? Tried to get some detail into it by post-processing

Cheers,
Holger

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Dragonflies

Sorry to hear about problems with the V3.

A photo from the summer, dragonflies in flight.

Dragonflies

 Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Adrian Green Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Safari frustration with V3+70~300CX

Sorry to here about your frustration.

Given that you found the same problem whilst manual focussing we can rule out AF issues.

I don’t notice any front focussing on the example you show though it does seem generally soft. Camera shake seems an unlikely cause given that you had support and lots of light and VR. And you say the lens is otherwise sharp in other circumstances.

Could atmospheric distortion play a part? That should affect the Sony’s equally though. Very puzzling

I found the 70-300CX superb ifor Namibia and Botswana earlier this year, albeit mainly on my V2 (I did take my V3 but hardly used it as I had my 6.7-13 fitted and found less use for that than expected). Pics here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60085904

OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Safari frustration with V3+70~300CX
2

Thanks Adrian! I clearly remember your thread and it had convinced me that the N1 gear would be sufficient for my safari needs.

I'm wondering if the issue comes from a combination of target object, size of the focus box, lighting, focal length, shutter speed, VR, and shutter method (mechanical vs. electronic). Scanning further through the images, the output improved for almost the identical setup. Apparently Zebras make a better focus target:

Hartmann mountain Zebra - quick and dirty conversion in Capture NX2

Will investigate further for any pattern on this issue.

Cheers,
Holger

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
How does this work?

I saw this series of photos at the Emily Carr Art & Design campus. They look harmonious arranged in this particular manner. Not being an artistic person can someone explain how this piece works? I am puzzled.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +1 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Re: How does this work?

Sangster wrote:

I saw this series of photos at the Emily Carr Art & Design campus. They look harmonious arranged in this particular manner. Not being an artistic person can someone explain how this piece works? I am puzzled.

Not being artistic “by trade” myself, it seems to me this was a theme project undertaken by the artist - photograph this particular car against similar background, mountains in this case but could be other “backdrops”as well. For the wall arrangement, to make it look harmonious, the artist selected pictures that have some strong connecting elements, such as position of the car at the bottom corner of the image, car gradual rotation from left to right, and a presence of dark background creating stronger contrast against bright illumination of the car in every image. The artist might have envisioned of all these elements before starting the project, or noticed them afterwards when browsing through hundreds of shots (like it often happens to me ). The pictures also processed very similarly to accentuate the connection between them.

 VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Re: How does this work?

VadymA wrote:

Sangster wrote:

I saw this series of photos at the Emily Carr Art & Design campus. They look harmonious arranged in this particular manner. Not being an artistic person can someone explain how this piece works? I am puzzled.

Not being artistic “by trade” myself, it seems to me this was a theme project undertaken by the artist - photograph this particular car against similar background, mountains in this case but could be other “backdrops”as well. For the wall arrangement, to make it look harmonious, the artist selected pictures that have some strong connecting elements, such as position of the car at the bottom corner of the image, car gradual rotation from left to right, and a presence of dark background creating stronger contrast against bright illumination of the car in every image. The artist might have envisioned of all these elements before starting the project, or noticed them afterwards when browsing through hundreds of shots (like it often happens to me ). The pictures also processed very similarly to accentuate the connection between them.

Ah! You are right, VadymA, the rotation of the connection element, the car, and the lighting do make it stand out. Do you think there is some kind of color theory at work there that link the images together? I was standing there trying to figure out what the puzzle meant and how it worked. Individually, it wouldn't have worked but grouping the photos together somehow made them visually interesting to me.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +1 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Re: How does this work?

Sangster wrote:

VadymA wrote:

Sangster wrote:

I saw this series of photos at the Emily Carr Art & Design campus. They look harmonious arranged in this particular manner. Not being an artistic person can someone explain how this piece works? I am puzzled.

Not being artistic “by trade” myself, it seems to me this was a theme project undertaken by the artist - photograph this particular car against similar background, mountains in this case but could be other “backdrops”as well. For the wall arrangement, to make it look harmonious, the artist selected pictures that have some strong connecting elements, such as position of the car at the bottom corner of the image, car gradual rotation from left to right, and a presence of dark background creating stronger contrast against bright illumination of the car in every image. The artist might have envisioned of all these elements before starting the project, or noticed them afterwards when browsing through hundreds of shots (like it often happens to me ). The pictures also processed very similarly to accentuate the connection between them.

Ah! You are right, VadymA, the rotation of the connection element, the car, and the lighting do make it stand out. Do you think there is some kind of color theory at work there that link the images together? I was standing there trying to figure out what the puzzle meant and how it worked. Individually, it wouldn't have worked but grouping the photos together somehow made them visually interesting to me.

The only colour theory that I am familiar with is from interior design articles which I would describe as colour matching principle. This is when certain dominating colours, like wall paint, drapery, carpet are also mixed in the colour of smaller decor items, like cushions, throws, vases, etc. This helps to bring other, less matching elements, like furniture, better together (visually). You can clearly see this principle in the pictures - some colors, like strong blue, black, and some yellow are dominating in every picture. Identical theme, like the car and the mountains in every picture also contribute to the unity. Imagine if one or two pictures were black and white, or the cars were different, or the landscape was different in every picture. This unity would most likely be lost. So I am sure if you google principles of interior design you will find some common rules that could be found in this arrangement.

 VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
yatakk Regular Member • Posts: 102
House
5

Mouse

Nikon 1 J5 + 70-300 CX

Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145
Some with Nikon 1 V2 ...
5

CHEERS !!!

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

 Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2017 *
4

Just found this on my desktop - will post some more photos from the N1 when I dig them out of LR.

Cormorant on bar on river dee in chester uk

Ditto Heron

Daniel Oh Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Colors: First trip with J5
2

Not sure if the second picture was J5 or V2

These are not straight off camera, sorry. Bad photographer so I postprocess quite a bit

-- hide signature --

Daniel Oh
ps. I truly believe photography as a hobby is defined by the pleasure you get from the activity. It does not matter what equipment or results. I am a hobbyist and a very awful photographer (snapshooter is a better name) but a very happy one.

 Daniel Oh's gear list:Daniel Oh's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D7500 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +18 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Safari frustration with V3+70~300CX
3

holgerlinke wrote:

Just came back from Namibia and started scanning my wildlife shots. What had already indicated itself on the camera screen is now confirming itself on the larger monitor: the V3 + 70~300CX combination was struggling with acquiring focus and producing decently sharp images. See below for one of the better samples, where I was able to somewhat improve the output through sharpening steps in Capture NX2. A lot more came out much worse than that.

The majority of failed shots were either misfocused or without any clear focus. Awful bokeh. No improvement with manual focus either. Tried variations of VR normal/active/off but not difference either. The vehicle engine was off, windows open, and I was able to lean on a stable base. I had guys with Sony RX10's left and right of me who got nice clean shots of the same scenery.

Other shots came out as expected though, e.g. birds in flight or flower shots. No idea why the large-animal shots were off...

Oryx antelope - apparently f ront-focused? Tried to get some detail into it by post-processing

Cheers,
Holger

A follow-up on the wildlife issues I had reported earlier. After analyzing the majority of the shots, I'm convinced that the camera and lens have issues with a specific combination of lighting, colour, contrast, and focal length. Starting at about 220mm, the 70~300 CX has a noticable drop in resolution and sharpness. If his is met with bright light, brownish colours, and somewhat limited contrast, the autofocus tends to miss the subject. I found samples where a kudu or elephant filled most of the frame, the camera seemingly had acquired focus, but the image is still useless. I'm unsure what role the VR was playing; I have a few shots without VR that were apparently affected in the same way. It's a real pity, as I have lost most of my antelope and lions-in-the-grass shots.

Anyway, the pictures in morning and evening light came out much better, as were the animals-not-in-the-grass shots:

Lunch time and a bad day for the lizard (quick conversion in Capture NX2)

Cheers,
Holger

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Adrian Green Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Colors: First trip with J5

I appreciate you we’re looking to emphasise the colours, but to me this photo is very over saturated.  Others may disagree though - it’s a personal thing.  Otherwise nice pictures.

Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2017 *
3

Nikon 1 V2  & Nikon 1 70-300 VR

Kasauli, Himachal, India

Cheers !!!

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

 Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: Some with Nikon 1 V2 ...
1

Bijankc wrote:

CHEERS !!!

Very nice. The 2nd one is fantastic! I suppose you used the 70-300 CX? Congrats!

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +10 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: Colors: First trip with J5

Adrian Green wrote:

I appreciate you we’re looking to emphasise the colours, but to me this photo is very over saturated. Others may disagree though - it’s a personal thing. Otherwise nice pictures.

I agree. Colors are way oversaturated for my taste. It gives a very artificial look at the pictures, which is disturbing when there are people in.

But pictures are nice!

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +10 more
Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: Some with Nikon 1 V2 ...

Yes 70-300 CX

André BARELIER wrote:

Very nice. The 2nd one is fantastic! I suppose you used the 70-300 CX? Congrats!

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

 Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Fall color in the garden
6

Spent a little time in the garden at the local museum. Still some fall color about.

Leaves on a bench. Nikon V2 with 18.5mm lens f/3.5

Some fruit/berry I do not recognize.  Nikon V2 with 18.5mm lens at f/1.8

Maple leaf & Sun dial. Nikon V2 with 18.5mm lens f/5.0

 DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads