* This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2017 *

Started Sep 30, 2017 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2017 *

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either in this thread, or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives, or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Blue spark

The European Central Bank in Frankfurt, Germany.

The train tracks in front are are memorial for the deportation of jews in 1942, which went through the wholesale market halls at the right.

Nikon 1 V3 with 6.7~13, processed in Capture One 10

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,519
Near Marblehead Light

And here we see a phenomena rarely observed in nature -- A mother sailboat inspecting a group of newly hatched sailings as they try to form a straight line.

-- hide signature --

Mainstream Commercial Nihilism Can't Be Trusted.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
Drplusplus Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Re: Blue spark

I like the building, but I have a question about the processing.  It seems the upper part of the image (sky, top of building) is much noisier than the concrete in the foreground.  What is causing that effect?

Drplusplus wrote:

I like the building, but I have a question about the processing. It seems the upper part of the image (sky, top of building) is much noisier than the concrete in the foreground. What is causing that effect?

This is caused by the post-processing: I have added a layer mask above the horizon (building and sky), then played a bit with saturation, hue, clarity, and contrast. Not much overall, but enough to bring up the noise. Only had colour noise reduction set on the base processing, no luminance NR, in order to keep as much detail as possible. The effect would disappear with about 10% NR.

Cheers,

Holger

Adrian Green Regular Member • Posts: 332

What a stunning building!  Nice composotion too

Waiting Dog

(looks as if dpreview developped a dog-o-phobia and doesn't allow me to upload the picture - will try again later)

It finally worked:

Post-processed in Capture One 10

Cheers,
Holger

Adrian Green wrote:

What a stunning building! Nice composotion too

Thanks Adrian!

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432
Re: Waiting Dog

holgerlinke wrote:

(looks as if dpreview developped a dog-o-phobia and doesn't allow me to upload the picture - will try again later)

It finally worked:

Cheers,
Holger

The picture is nicely composed as is the beautiful one you posted of the European central bank. But, and I hope you won't be offended, both are very noisy, albeit shot in good light. Were you heavy handed on sharpening, did you increase exposure in PP, or is it C1? I don't know, but viewed at full size, this noise doesn't seem "normal" to me.

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
New Day

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more

André BARELIER wrote:

holgerlinke wrote:

It finally worked:

Cheers,
Holger

The picture is nicely composed as is the beautiful one you posted of the European central bank. But, and I hope you won't be offended, both are very noisy, albeit shot in good light. Were you heavy handed on sharpening, did you increase exposure in PP, or is it C1? I don't know, but viewed at full size, this noise doesn't seem "normal" to me.

Hi Andrè,

why would anyone be offended by an open-minded question about interesting details? (ah well, but then, you are possibly right about being cautious, this is the internet after all...).

Like with the ECB picture, I had pushed the luminance NR slider back to zero for the overall picture, just keeping the colour NR at the default value. Then added a layer mask over the dog in order to lift the shadows and increase contrast and clarity. The dog's face still showed some hair detail although being slightly misfocused. If I had kept the luminance NR at default settings, the hair detail would have been gone together with the noise.

My plan is to get this printed in a photo book later on. From my experience, when printed, the noise would not disturb at all and maybe add some impression of grain to it. I wasn't so much concerned about the noise but rather about the somewhat ugly bokeh of the 18.5mm lens.

But since you are the second person asking about noise, I might revise this approach and play with the NR options a bit more. Possibly the sharpening is directing too much attention to the noise detail...?

Cheers,
Holger

Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Shoot the moon.....

J5 FT-1 & 70-300mm AF-P

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,432

holgerlinke wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

holgerlinke wrote:

It finally worked:

Cheers,
Holger

Hi Andrè,

why would anyone be offended by an open-minded question about interesting details? (ah well, but then, you are possibly right about being cautious, this is the internet after all...).

Yes, I'm a bit cautious. As you say, this is the internet...

But I'm always glad to meet open minded persons to discuss about photography.

Like with the ECB picture, I had pushed the luminance NR slider back to zero for the overall picture, just keeping the colour NR at the default value. Then added a layer mask over the dog in order to lift the shadows and increase contrast and clarity. The dog's face still showed some hair detail although being slightly misfocused. If I had kept the luminance NR at default settings, the hair detail would have been gone together with the noise.

I understand your approach. We have to make compromises between noise and detail. I use DxO, which does a very good job at preserving details while removing noise. But it's slow, and not as convenient as PS.

My plan is to get this printed in a photo book later on. From my experience, when printed, the noise would not disturb at all and maybe add some impression of grain to it. I wasn't so much concerned about the noise but rather about the somewhat ugly bokeh of the 18.5mm lens.

Yes, I noticed that we're very picky about noise in pictures viewed on screen. But as soon as we print the images, even at a quite large size, noise disappears or gives a very fine grain.

But since you are the second person asking about noise, I might revise this approach and play with the NR options a bit more. Possibly the sharpening is directing too much attention to the noise detail...?

Do you use what I translate into "smart sharpen" (in my version of PS,, which is in french, it's called "netteté optimisée").

This sharpening algorithm allows to sharpen details in the image while removing noise on the parts where there is no detail to speak of.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry Holger, I thought you were using Lightroom. I forgot you are using Capture One. I don't know if "smart sharpen" is a feature which is available in C1. Maybe with another naming?

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Sunny day at the harbour

Today was beautiful sunshine. There’s always something interesting to see at the harbour.
These must be the highlights today.

GustavoGabriel Forum Member • Posts: 61
Morning Flower

V1 with 10-30mm (first one).

GustavoGabriel's gear list:GustavoGabriel's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +3 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Westbound

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Fousk148 New Member • Posts: 1
The last bit of color

We use to start early with winter here in FI, those gorgeous leaves were the last bits of color for next few months.

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,519
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2017 *

Friday Quitting Time.

There's no wind forecast for the weekend, it should be safe...
--
Mainstream Commercial Nihilism Can't Be Trusted.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: New Day

Sangster wrote:

Hey - great title!

Lovely photo too

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
photogramps Regular Member • Posts: 231
First use of V1 with FT-1 and 300PF + TC14-EII

I've only just come to the Nikon 1 party, with the purchase of a V1 and FT-1 adapter to use my regular Nikon lenses. I went out yesterday for the first time to see what I could come up with, even though it was typically UK overcast dull light.

The combined weight of the kit was a joy compared to my D500 + 500 f4 VR and a 1100mm (35mm equiv) walkabout option is simple amazing.

Mandarin Duck @ 1/40th H/H

Juvenile Coot @ 1/160th H/H

Pied Wagtail @ 1/250th H/H

I know that there are AF limitations with using the FT-1 adapter (Centre AF only), maybe someone with more Nikon 1 experience/knowledge could tell me, does that limitation also apply to the V2 & V3?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads