R6 Dual card confusion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 476
R6 Dual card confusion

Hi folks,

I have 2 cards in my R6

Slot 1 - FAST Card for Video UHS-II

Slot 2 - Slower for Photos only UHS-I

So this is ok I'm able to record on both cards so video on one card and photos on the second but when I play back I can never play back the video files. Its only showing photos.

If I enable Photo/Video with "separate/enable" then the below options grey out and cant pick the faster card for video.

How can I use 2 separate cards but allow playback for both cards.

Record Funct + Card Settings

Disable

Standard

Standard

Photo Record /Play - 2

Video Record  /Play - 1

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
moon1029 Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: R6 Dual card confusion

switch to video mode using the mode dial and you'll be able to see the videos

in my experience you should use the fast card for stills such that the camera can clear the buffer fast enough for 12fps shooting. But I find I have to use C-RAW even I'm using the fastest card available on the market. I find no problem for 4K videos even on UHS-I card

moon1029's gear list:moon1029's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +2 more
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,091

Boy can I relate. I noted taking shots the other day although I had the arrow in the Info showing plainly that my Card 1 was my default and one I shoot to first (or so I want to) it decided to place the shots I took to the Card 2 UHS-II card I also have in the camera. How annoying. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around those settings. I simply wanted to make sure that all my shots went 1st to my CF card and ONLY when it's full to start over to the SD card. One of these days I'll figure it out. LOL

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
moon1029 Regular Member • Posts: 179

Maybe R6 is too new a camera and its firmware is not yet very stable. Especially when switching between videos and stills sometimes it becomes a chaos.

I've encountered all kinds of problems (though minor) just after 3 months of use:
1. IS suddenly stops working, I have to turn off the camera and turn it on again
2. the buffer can't clear fast enough to my UHS-II card suddenly
3. the screen freezes

They happen very rarely. But I've encountered them.

moon1029's gear list:moon1029's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +2 more
OP Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 476

moon1029 wrote:

switch to video mode using the mode dial and you'll be able to see the videos

in my experience you should use the fast card for stills such that the camera can clear the buffer fast enough for 12fps shooting. But I find I have to use C-RAW even I'm using the fastest card available on the market. I find no problem for 4K videos even on UHS-I card

yes that worked - what a pain in the rear - so if I want to show a photo followed by a video I need to constantly rotate the dial - talk about a dumb design

or I move everything to a single card

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads