200mm f/1.8 USM

Started Aug 18, 2018 | User reviews
(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 20
200mm f/1.8 USM

I have the 1.8 version but couldn't find it in the database so here goes.

the 200mm 1.8 USM lens probably have the best bokeh money can buy. Auto-focus can be slow sometimes, but for general portrait photography, it's fine. One of the sharpest lens I ever used. With the wide aperture of 1.8, I dont find myself needing IS. I mean, you are most likely going to use it with a monopod or tripod anyways.

Absolutely recommend it!

Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF • 2297B002
Announced: Jan 24, 2008
dousanmiaography's score
Average community score
HosseinG
HosseinG Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: 200mm f/1.8 USM

EF200 F/1.8 is obsolete and did not have IS.

How do you say that you own it and not knowing there is no IS?

HosseinG's gear list:HosseinG's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
OP (unknown member) New Member • Posts: 20

You misunderstood me. I mean I don't feel the need for the 200mm f/2 IS version because I don't run into any difficulties using my f/1.8 version

sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

dousanmiaography wrote:

You misunderstood me. I mean I don't feel the need for the 200mm f/2 IS version because I don't run into any difficulties using my f/1.8 version

Your meaning was perfectly clear.

Any chance of a few pictures?

Thanks

Shane

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
HosseinG
HosseinG Regular Member • Posts: 288

Sorry for misunderstanding.

HosseinG's gear list:HosseinG's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

dousanmiaography wrote:

I have the 1.8 version but couldn't find it in the database so here goes.

the 200mm 1.8 USM lens probably have the best bokeh money can buy. Auto-focus can be slow sometimes, but for general portrait photography, it's fine. One of the sharpest lens I ever used. With the wide aperture of 1.8, I dont find myself needing IS. I mean, you are most likely going to use it with a monopod or tripod anyways.

Absolutely recommend it!

Great lens with top optical performance.

But also a few disadvantages.

First of all its a dog to hand hold. Not only because its very heavy, but even more because its unbalanced. Its the only lens I've used that  "wore me down" after a few hours (I shoot the 300mm f/2.8 IS L handheld all the time).

Focus by wire not only makes AF a little slower than it could be - its prone to mechanical faults too.

Lens buttons can sometimes "slip-and-slide" if you are carrying it over the shoulder.

I looked long and hard at buying the replacement 200mm f/2.0 IS L, which I have used some. However, I ended up only using the new version as a loan or rental. To a certain extent I found that as I got into higher MPIX cameras I could often use either the 135mm or the 300mm f/2.8 to much the same effect.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads