Super lens, but with drawbacks

Started Feb 23, 2016 | User reviews
Folkmann Photo New Member • Posts: 1
Super lens, but with drawbacks

Purchased this lens for my full-frame 5DmkII for landscapes, cityscapes and dramatic urban and nature shots, and since I already was aware of its drawbacks, I wasn’t disappointed.
The lens is quite sharp in the center at f/2.8 – but only at the center. Towards the corners it gets softer, but not soft enough to blur out stars or anything. I shot many great night sky photos at 2.8 with decent sharpness – especially after post-processing in Lightroom or what you have. However, when shooting at f/2.8-4.0 in bright daylight, the softness towards the corners bothers you quite a bit. When possible, I shoot at f/8-16, where you will find excellent sharpness across the frame!
Another drawback is the heavy amount of lens flare produced by the spherical outer lens element, which tends to catch moon, sun, or street lights event if the light source is at 90˚.
Despite the drawbacks, this is a magnificent lens – the widest you can find for full-frame sensors and pretty fast too with its f/2.8.
All in all, a great lens if you can work around the drawbacks!

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF • 2508A002
Folkmann Photo's score
Average community score
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Super lens, but with drawbacks

Are you talking about version I or version II?

gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100
maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

Folkmann Photo wrote:

the widest you can find for full-frame sensors and pretty fast too with its f/2.8.

Its actually the 16mm fisheye lens (there may be even wider for all I know).

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Drogba88
Drogba88 Regular Member • Posts: 228

Have you not heard of the Rokinon 14mm???     Read the reviews.     A superb lens at a fraction of the cost of the Canon.

-- hide signature --

Drogba88

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +10 more
gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 355

There is a Canon 8-15 L

gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100
rbarta Regular Member • Posts: 285

The 15mm fisheye f/2.8 (no longer sold new) does 180 corner to corner.

The 8-15mm fisheye f/4 does 180 corner to corner at 15mm and 180 circle at 8mm.

If the OP is referring to rectilinear lenses, the new 11-24 f/4 is 126.5 at 11mm, where the 14mm f/2.8 is 114 degrees field of view.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads