Z9 and Cfexpress card compability

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
KonradE Forum Member • Posts: 55
Z9 and Cfexpress card compability

Is there any problem with the Z9 and other cardbrands than specified in the Z9 manual? I am planning to by thge Delkin Cfexpress 128Mb card which is not specified. Are there other possible issues with the XQD cards than slowish and heating up?

Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James Grove
James Grove Senior Member • Posts: 1,537
Re: Z9 and Cfexpress card compability

The speed to for cards you use will be dependant on how you use the camera. Sony Tough, Angelbird SX or SE should all be ok for starters, if you after speed as a use for your camera then you may need to look at the higher cost card which will guarenteed sustained read and write speeds. Note sustained is the key word, here, and their are difference in these rates between the storage options, for example 1 TB cards can be slower than 256 cards. Alas getting this data is almost impossible, with Angelbird and Delkin being the 2 that currently provide the data (Maybe ProGrade as-well)

-- hide signature --
phgordon Regular Member • Posts: 176

I have been using the Delkin Green 128. Just returned from a photo trip without incident.  Never choked using raw H* for BIF.

phgordon's gear list:phgordon's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon Z6 Sony a7C Nikon Z9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Baldclicks Contributing Member • Posts: 542

I use Prograde Cobalt 325 GB, it has sustained write speed of 1400 mbps.  And no issues so far with the card. Expensive but among the best you can get.

-- hide signature --

Sandeep (Sandy)
Photography Enthusiast
Founder, Baldclicks.com
Insta: sandywildlifeclicks and sandytravelclicks

Baldclicks's gear list:Baldclicks's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Nikon Z9 DJI Pocket 2 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +14 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,861

KonradE wrote:

Is there any problem with the Z9 and other card brands than specified in the Z9 manual? I am planning to by thge Delkin Cfexpress 128Mb card which is not specified.

Nikon tests only a small sampling of cards. Many cards, including those from vendors not listed by Nikon, are compatible with the Z9, including the one you mention.

One source of info are sites that tests CFe cards. like this one. Note that the bes known brands, Lexar and Sandisk, are the worse with regards to temperature and are not the fastest either ...

Another good source of info is the manufacturers' web site itself, which often lists the cameras which are compatible with their products, link to Delkin's (scroll down until you see "Compatible cameras".

Are there other possible issues with the XQD cards than slowish and heating up?

I use one with my Z9 and it works very well. It does not even heat up that much.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +9 more
Joel Klein
Joel Klein Senior Member • Posts: 1,307

Delkin Black is a beast. It delivers.
Angelbird AV was a mistake. It can’t sustain high bursts, more then 1 second. can’t record ProRes. I am very disappointed with it.

Joel Klein's gear list:Joel Klein's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon Z30 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +8 more
Hifromhere Regular Member • Posts: 241

Delkin Black 128 GB ...  working very well.

Hifromhere's gear list:Hifromhere's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Cassowary Regular Member • Posts: 196

I have the Delkin Black 128gb and it's working very well for me.  No issues shooting 15 fps at 45mp.  I have not been shooting video though.

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,755

KonradE wrote:

Is there any problem with the Z9 and other cardbrands than specified in the Z9 manual? I am planning to by thge Delkin Cfexpress 128Mb card which is not specified. Are there other possible issues with the XQD cards than slowish and heating up?

I’m currently using a pair of Delkin Devices Power (Green) cards in my Z9 with no problems but have not done extensive testing yet.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS R5 Sony a7C Sony a1 Nikon Z9 +55 more
Sealtainn Regular Member • Posts: 127

Joel Klein wrote:

Delkin Black is a beast. It delivers.
Angelbird AV was a mistake. It can’t sustain high bursts, more then 1 second. can’t record ProRes. I am very disappointed with it.

FWIW I have been using the Angelbird AV PRO CFexpress XT MK2 Type B 660 GB, which I purchased direct from Austria before they became in stock in the USA.

It's specs are very impressive compared to other brands and my experience in the z9 is that Angelbird delivers, including sustained high bursts.

My z9 has absolutely no problem recording 4k ProRes 60p in both SDR and NLOG.

Perhaps you bought a lower end card or maybe even one of those that were recently heavily discounted -- those had been reported very early on as being below expectations.

I can't speak to all the MK2 cards but I suspect they perform better than the previous versions.

Sealtainn's gear list:Sealtainn's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc +17 more
EricK214 Senior Member • Posts: 1,444

You should check out the ProMedia Velocity CINE 128GB card made be Delkin, They run $149-$169 depending on where you get it from and it is made by Delkin for ProMedia. It has a min sustained write speed of 1710MB/s and gets 90 shots on Lossless and 1025 on HE* for me on my Z9. This more then the Cobalt 325GB (which I also have) and the Delkin Black 128GB card that runs $220

-- hide signature --

Eric
Wildlife/BIF Hunter: Nikon Z9 is my weapon of choice, the 500mm f5.6 PF is my ammo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikondoesabodygood/

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Roland Wooster Senior Member • Posts: 2,350
Delkin Black

I have the Black 512, amazing card, no problems, practically unlimited shooting.

I've used Delkin cards in other cameras and always been very pleased. Sandisk and Lexar have all worked well in the past for me.

The only card brand that I'm skeptical of is AngelBird. I have a CFast2 512 AngelBird card for my Blackmagic camera - after it fills to about 70% it stops working. I don't know if it's backmagic's fault or the memory card, but I sent both back. Angelbird replaced the card, Blackmagic replaced a circuit board - however, even after the replacements, that issue remained. I'm glad to have moved past both and gone to Nikon + Delkin with so far no problems, and who knows, perhaps it's a CFast problem as this was my only card and device for CFast.

Roland.

OP KonradE Forum Member • Posts: 55

Thanks for all good advise. I have a few Sony XQD cards which I have planned to use as "sparecards".  Will they be to "slow " for thgat purpose?

atdsatds Junior Member • Posts: 42

I have the Prograde 325GB as my main card and I am using two old Sony 128GB XQD cards I bought in 2017 with no problem thus far. I haven't done video yet and only short bursts so far.

atdsatds's gear list:atdsatds's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D1X Nikon D5 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +13 more
Sealtainn Regular Member • Posts: 127

KonradE wrote:

Thanks for all good advise. I have a few Sony XQD cards which I have planned to use as "sparecards". Will they be to "slow " for thgat purpose?

All my Sony XQD cards going back to 2012 work perfectly fine, for photo bursts I observed buffer performance of my "newest" 128GB cards measurably better than what the few early reviews were showing... at least as good as the "worst" CFExpress cards out there. Video was fine too for short testing of compatibility.

While the best performing CFExpress cards may provide far greater buffer duration I would have no problem using them in the z9 if I needed more storage.  If you need to sustain 20fps for prolonged periods without interruption you'll likely need CFExpress, but for single digit second bursts those Sony XQD are more capable than what many have written.

Sealtainn's gear list:Sealtainn's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads