For Sony A7R IV - Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN or Sony 135mm F1.8 GM

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Manzur Fahim
Manzur Fahim Veteran Member • Posts: 3,590
For Sony A7R IV - Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN or Sony 135mm F1.8 GM

Hello everyone,

Hope you are well and safe. COVID is on the rise again, and is worse this time

I was wondering if anyone here used / have both the Sigma 85mm DG DN and the Sony 135mm GM, and can share their experience? I have the DG DN, but I never tried the 135mm GM. What I want to know is how well does the 135mm resolve details with A7R IV? Is it better or worse than the Sigma 85mm DG DN?

All I want to know is about the sharpness, detail resolving power, bokeh etc. in comparison with the Sigma 85mm DG DN. Price, focal length difference, lack of F1.4 etc. doesn't matter.

Many thanks in advance.

Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Sigma DP2 Merrill +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161
Re: For Sony A7R IV - Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN or Sony 135mm F1.8 GM

I have both. The Sigma is outstanding, but zooming in to details reveals that the GM is noticeably sharper, still (on the A7RIV). Bokeh quality is similar. The GM 135 is an amazing lens.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Manzur Fahim
OP Manzur Fahim Veteran Member • Posts: 3,590

Jeff2013 wrote:

I have both. The Sigma is outstanding, but zooming in to details reveals that the GM is noticeably sharper, still (on the A7RIV). Bokeh quality is similar. The GM 135 is an amazing lens.

Thank you very much Jeff, that is good to know. I suspected as such. GM got some amazing reviews, I will probably get the GM and sell the Sigma. I just hope I can manage to use 135mm and not run into tight spaces.

Have a great day!

Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Sigma DP2 Merrill +8 more
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,003

I had the first Sigma Art 85mm, and at the time I was impressed with the detail (on a 36Mpixel sensor). I have not tried the newer version.

The Sony 135mm GM is, however, at another level. LensRentals measured 10 samples and reported it to be the sharpest lens they'd seen out of hundreds of models.

I got the 135 GM just after release, and I started using it on the A7RIII, where it produces a vast amount of detail. However, putting it on the A7RIV reveals even more detail, to the point where you can crop out a small part of a frame, blow it up, and see pixel-level sharpness.

I don't know if the Sigma can achieve that. Few lenses can. What I do know is that I am more than pleased with the 135 GM.

As far as "I just hope I can manage to use 135mm and not run into tight spaces." goes - shoot outdoors - this lens works very well outside. Inside I mostly concentrate on details (it captures beautiful headshots.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 938

Both lens are fantastic portrait lens but keep in mind that 135mm is much much tighter than 85mm and if your intention is to shoot sometimes indoors portraits it's very possible that 135mm will be to long for that. My choice goes to 85mm but hey... how to resist that super creamy 135mm at f1.8!?!?

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
https://duskojovic.pixieset.com/showroom/

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
panther fan Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Manzur Fahim wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here used / have both the Sigma 85mm DG DN and the Sony 135mm GM, and can share their experience? I have the DG DN, but I never tried the 135mm GM. What I want to know is how well does the 135mm resolve details with A7R IV? Is it better or worse than the Sigma 85mm DG DN?

All I want to know is about the sharpness, detail resolving power, bokeh etc. in comparison with the Sigma 85mm DG DN. Price, focal length difference, lack of F1.4 etc. doesn't matter.

Many thanks in advance.

The 135mm is sharper, it also focuses quicker.

That said the biggest difference is the changed working distance and perspective. Forget about using the 135 indoor

jan pawlak Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Manzur Fahim wrote:

Hello everyone,

Many thanks in advance.

These are the same class of lenses, I have them both

The choice depends on what second lens you will be using and what you are mainly shooting.

On a trip I only take the FE 35mm connected to the A7R3 and 85mm F / 1.4 DG DN connected to the second A7R3

It should be even better with the A7R4

jan pawlak's gear list:jan pawlak's gear list
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
f1point4andbethere
f1point4andbethere Regular Member • Posts: 441

I was just using both on a shoot this week with my A1. They are both basically the same in sharpness. Mind you, they are both about the sharpest lenses I've ever used, so sharpness shouldn't be a deciding factor between them. Size and weight, I would take the 85DN without question. AF is great on both but I could see the 135 outpacing the DN for sports use.

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads