Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
dave92029 Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
13

Very sharp, better than DXO review made me expect, fast focusing, and a great focal length for walking around photography. Several images taken with this lens on my A7iii appear to give a sense of 3d, depth which I had not noticed with any of my other lens. Very happy with my purchase.

Only complaint is the lens hood. I wish that it allowed me to adjust my Circular Polarizer on the lens, like my 100-400mm GM does. I realize that they are at different price points, but using a Cir polarizer on this lens seems like an obvious choice, so Sony could have provided a cut-out n the lens hood.  
Dave

 dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +2 more
Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
Sony FE
Announced: Oct 25, 2017
dave92029's score
4.5
Average community score
4.7
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,426
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

dave92029 wrote:

Very sharp, better than DXO review made me expect, fast focusing, and a great focal length for walking around photography. Several images taken with this lens on my A7iii appear to give a sense of 3d, depth which I had not noticed with any of my other lens. Very happy with my purchase.

Me too.

Only complaint is the lens hood. I wish that it allowed me to adjust my Circular Polarizer on the lens, like my 100-400mm GM does. I realize that they are at different price points, but using a Cir polarizer on this lens seems like an obvious choice, so Sony could have provided a cut-out n the lens hood.
Dave

If I reach inside the hood with my forefinger and maintain contact with the inside of the hood so I don't touch the filter glass, I can rotate the edge of my polarizer. If your finger isn't much larger than mine, that may work for you.

However, there's no fixing the variation in sky tint that wide-angle lenses are prone to.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,617
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
5

dave92029 wrote:

Very sharp, better than DXO review made me expect, fast focusing, and a great focal length for walking around photography. Several images taken with this lens on my A7iii appear to give a sense of 3d, depth which I had not noticed with any of my other lens. Very happy with my purchase.

Very sharp, yes.

Useful focal range, yes.

3d images, really not!

I'm selling mine after years of having it, but not used very often (the Tamron 28-200 gave the final shove). Main complaints are low microcontrast (= flat looking images) and that it's relatively bulky and clumsy to handle.

rick in vegas Contributing Member • Posts: 869
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

I had one but found it bulky and not balanced on A7III.

 rick in vegas's gear list:rick in vegas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Nikon Z6 II
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,342
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
5

rick in vegas wrote:

I had one but found it bulky and not balanced on A7III.

Speaking for myself and what I did as I do agree as is with no extra support the ergoniomics is not good.

The Sony 24-105 was my first lens. I knew i wanted it and still have it. the A7iii is now sold and I have upgraded to the A9ii. For sake of ergonomics the A9ii body is what the A7iii should have been and you dont really need what I am describing next.  I am on the arca type connection system so I still use these methods.

The really right stuff base plate gives that extra height the body needs to get all fingers comfortably on the body. You could add the battery grip as well.

I added the Spider hand strap could work too and I especially use this with the battery grip in combo. I do have the really right stuff plates for both the body only and with battery grip configuration

https://spiderholster.com

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
2

I have had mine for a week or so and, after about four years of manual focus only, actually enjoy shooting with this lens. My experience so far with Sony zooms (16-35/4) was less than enthusiastic, mainly the focal length for me but more the lack of detail especially towards the edges. I wouldn't say it's on par with my CV65/2 but certainly not lacking in IQ and useful focal range. YMMV

 Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,412
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

Excellent lens, in 2018 I took a trip of over 6 months to Central Asia, Nepal, India, Georgia and Turkey with an A7R3 and three lenses; this one got by far the most usage. I still - to my shame - haven't finished going through all those pics, but the ones I have edited are all in thes album (mixed in with other photos, but all with the 24-105G): https://flic.kr/s/aHsmegn6Dk

That being said, I am on the fence between keeping this or the equally excellent Tamron 28-200.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +5 more
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
4

The 24-105 is a rather large and heavy lens BUT the quality of the results when paired with my A7RIV are superb! I am quite pleased with the aquity of the images and don't find it lacking in micro-contrast what so ever.

For "ME" the 4mm at the wide end are much more valuable than an extra 95mm at the telephoto end. I can easily crop a 61mp image but I have never figured out how to add the missing angle of view the extra 4mm on the wide end gives me.

As for balance I added a grip extension to my A7RIV which gives me more of an slr feel and makes the lens much more balanced with the bigger grip.

I understand why some would prefer the Tamron 28-200mm which is also a great option but for myself the 24-105 is a near perfect lens and I will be hanging on to mine for a very long time!

 MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
3

MikeInOr wrote:

The 24-105 is a rather large and heavy lens BUT the quality of the results when paired with my A7RIV are superb! I am quite pleased with the aquity of the images and don't find it lacking in micro-contrast what so ever.

For "ME" the 4mm at the wide end are much more valuable than an extra 95mm at the telephoto end. I can easily crop a 61mp image but I have never figured out how to add the missing angle of view the extra 4mm on the wide end gives me.

As for balance I added a grip extension to my A7RIV which gives me more of an slr feel and makes the lens much more balanced with the bigger grip.

I understand why some would prefer the Tamron 28-200mm which is also a great option but for myself the 24-105 is a near perfect lens and I will be hanging on to mine for a very long time!

I am on the same situation too.  I guess the heavier A7R2, R3 and R4 provides a better balanced feel.  I started off with the A7R2 (no Sony 24-105mm f4 yet) with the Sony 24-240mm.  The one-in-all lens.  And when the Sony 24-105mm was released and I bought it, I never had a single bit to complaint about.  From 780gm to 663gm, I really felt a relieve in handling and the sharpness with my A7R2 is very satisfying.  Of course when I bought the A7R4 in Oct 2019, this combo just did every thing I needed as a one-in-all lens.  You may ask, how can 105mm be long enough?  Press the 24-105mm custom button and it activate the APSC mode, instantly it becomes a 36-157mm APSC lens.  Does not covers all the FL I wanted, but good enough with 157mm and at 26MP on my A7R4.

This lens is also my favorite Focus Stacking lens for macro with extension tubes and also the NiSi 5x Macro filter.  Why Zero focus breathing - at the selected FL, no matter what focus distant you choose, the FL remains unchanged.  Thus, I can shot 100s of intervals using Imaging Edge + B8Stack app, and it will stack perfectly using Affinity (which does not do resizing of images in a stack).

So there is really nothing I don't like about this lens.  Tele?  I use a tele lens at least 300mm and above.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

 MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
mmacleodbrown
mmacleodbrown Regular Member • Posts: 227
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

I love mine, if I'm out on my own I'm a prime guy, usually vintage glass, but this is my go-to lens for holidays or days out with my wife. AF is quick, no faffing with changing lenses all the time and image quality I find to be good. It was the first zoom I bought, and it encouraged me to buy the 16-35 F4 which I'm challenging myself with learning to shoot wide

 mmacleodbrown's gear list:mmacleodbrown's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +4 more
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,426
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

LenRivers wrote:

The really right stuff base plate gives that extra height the body needs to get all fingers comfortably on the body. You could add the battery grip as well.

Yes. I found that an inexpensive aftermarket grip extension worked wonders for the comfort and balance on the A7RIV with the 24-105 as well as my 100-400 Sigma.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Hugo600si Contributing Member • Posts: 839
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

LenRivers wrote:

The really right stuff base plate gives that extra height the body needs to get all fingers comfortably on the body. You could add the battery grip as well.

Exactly the same setup with my a7r3, I like it more than the battery grip as it is less weight and the thickness is exactly what my hand needs to rest my pinky

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

 Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R III Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,021
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

When I switched to Sony back in 2018, the 24-105 f4 was the only lens I needed at the time. And it was for 2 full years before I purchased my second and third lenses. I use the 24-105 as my go to hiking/street lens. Now that i'm into more wildlife photography, the Sony 100-400 is on my camera most of the time.

ber223 Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
4

I just got back from a week hiking in RMNP. I had the 24-105 on my A7Riii for all of the hikes (averaged about 6-7 miles/day). When I first got this set up I felt like it was quite heavy, however the weight and balance were never a problem hiking. I have overall been very impressed with the sharpness and IQ of this lens too. I have only started to look at the shots from this latest trip, and I’m quite pleased with how they have turned out so far. Since I mostly shoot landscapes, the extra wide angle range is much more important to me than more zoom (for which I have a Sigma 100-400). Overall, this lens has really hit the sweet spot for my shooting needs.

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,342
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

RRS makes a nice product !

MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

ber223 wrote:

I just got back from a week hiking in RMNP. I had the 24-105 on my A7Riii for all of the hikes (averaged about 6-7 miles/day). When I first got this set up I felt like it was quite heavy, however the weight and balance were never a problem hiking. I have overall been very impressed with the sharpness and IQ of this lens too. I have only started to look at the shots from this latest trip, and I’m quite pleased with how they have turned out so far. Since I mostly shoot landscapes, the extra wide angle range is much more important to me than more zoom (for which I have a Sigma 100-400). Overall, this lens has really hit the sweet spot for my shooting needs.

That was the same combination I am using now.  The 24-105 f4 for all-in-one (up to 157mm in APSC mode) and then the Sigma 100-400mm DG DN for tele.  But now for travel, it will be my Tamron 70-300mm FE as my travel tele.  It is only 545gm even lighter than my 24-105mm f4.  Less FL but a compromise well worth it for the light weight.  I will be getting the Tamron 150-500mm to take over my Sigma 100-400mm for local trips.

If you are into Focus Stacking, the Sony 24-105mm f4 is excellent.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

 MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

MicahSYL wrote:

If you are into Focus Stacking, the Sony 24-105mm f4 is excellent.

I hadn't thought of using it for that, will have to give it a try. I also use Affinity for focus stacking, works well but still need to clone out quite a few fuzzy areas even with my CV65/2.

 Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Dave_Good wrote:

MicahSYL wrote:

If you are into Focus Stacking, the Sony 24-105mm f4 is excellent.

I hadn't thought of using it for that, will have to give it a try. I also use Affinity for focus stacking, works well but still need to clone out quite a few fuzzy areas even with my CV65/2.

Here is a sample I taken with the Tamron 70-300.  All zoom lenses has no focus breathing and I use with the B8Stack App on my Win 10 Notebook, connected to the camera using a 2 meter USB cable.  Silent mode, totally still and the B8Stack can move the focus point bit by bit to cover the entire subject.

in 4K format.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

 MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
Trevor_S
Trevor_S Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
1

Now I am missing eating Mangosteens when I used to live in SE Asia

 Trevor_S's gear list:Trevor_S's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a7R IVA Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Trevor_S wrote:

Now I am missing eating Mangosteens when I used to live in SE Asia

Yes, I am missing it now, the mangosteen season has just ended:-).

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

 MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads