Sunset at Saguaro National Park

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,476
Sunset at Saguaro National Park

Taken during a recent visit to Tucson, Arizona. Your C&C is welcome. Thanks!

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
cduff406 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Sunset at Saguaro National Park

Thats a beautiful picture.  Can I ask if that was the east or west portion?  I'll be there in a few weeks and looking forward to taking a whole lot of pictures.  I hope to be out and about most every evening and a few mornings.  Fingers crossed for good weather!

OP jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,476

cduff406 wrote:

Thats a beautiful picture. Can I ask if that was the east or west portion? I'll be there in a few weeks and looking forward to taking a whole lot of pictures. I hope to be out and about most every evening and a few mornings. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Thanks cduff! East, pretty close to the Broadway Trlhd. Mostly had sunny days with no clouds with one exception:

Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

AZ weather isn't usually a concern. It's pretty predictably. You can expect to get a great shot like the OP's. In a few weeks you might see 100 but that's not bad for Arizona. Early and late is perfect. You don't want that harsh noon day light anyway.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,205

cduff406 wrote:

Thats a beautiful picture. Can I ask if that was the east or west portion? I'll be there in a few weeks and looking forward to taking a whole lot of pictures. I hope to be out and about most every evening and a few mornings. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Just be aware of the wind. It's windy in AZ in spring time. There are some flowers blooming from what I've heard. Temps should be around the mid 90's until late April beginning of May. It's been unusally warm here. Phoenix hit 99 on April 4th. But hasn't been there since. And it's dry. We are in a drought, have been for at least 2+ years.

cduff406 Forum Member • Posts: 50

Yes, I lived in Tucson for a few years so I'm acclimated to the heat! Would like to see some of those spectacular Tucson sunsets I remember. And maybe a good monsoon storm if I'm not too early...

charleyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

Lived in Tucson for 6 years after I retired. Love the place. Hiked and took hundreds of photos and hiked hundreds of miles in the mountains surrounding Tucson and also Mt. Wrightson South of Tucson. I am an amatuer astronomer and Arizona is paradise for that activity. More telescopes per capita than anywhere in the world. Really miss the place, sigh....

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,937

AZheaven wrote:

cduff406 wrote:

Just be aware of the wind. It's windy in AZ in spring time. There are some flowers blooming from what I've heard. Temps should be around the mid 90's until late April beginning of May. It's been unusally warm here. Phoenix hit 99 on April 4th. But hasn't been there since. And it's dry. We are in a drought, have been for at least 2+ years.

This can't be overstated.  Even desert adapted plants are suffering especially in D3/4 zones and most everything is brown and more dusty and hazy with the winds that are not bringing storms.  There is/was no springtime green this year.  Very few flowers.

Good weather would mean some moisture in the air for interesting clouds, but otherwise there will more likely be haze.

AZ Drought Map

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,374

looks like this photo has been through HDR process (looking at the colors) but it is nice anyway.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

1Dx4me wrote:

looks like this photo has been through HDR process (looking at the colors) but it is nice anyway.

Glad you liked it 1D! I use HDR quite often (in its traditional sense - 3 or 5 shots). But this was a single shot processed in LR mostly and finished up to taste in Luminar and CS6.

jacob

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,205

cduff406 wrote:

Yes, I lived in Tucson for a few years so I'm acclimated to the heat! Would like to see some of those spectacular Tucson sunsets I remember. And maybe a good monsoon storm if I'm not too early...

We haven't had any moisture, at least in the Prescott area since late Febuary early March. Typically windy spring time. But it's terribly dry. Already 2 fires in the state. Way too early for that to happen.

And as for sunsets? Yeah, there are some sunsets that will stop traffic!

JE River Regular Member • Posts: 268

I like it. Lots of nice layers, details, and depth.

JE River wrote:

I like it. Lots of nice layers, details, and depth.

Thanks for your nice comments JE!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads