Microsoft ICE - No Longer Available? have a Download?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OldGuy-Yuri Regular Member • Posts: 265
Microsoft ICE - No Longer Available? have a Download?

Hi All,
Reminded by a recent thread that I'd like to try MS ICE as an alternative to Workspace for stitching panoramas.
BUT, Microsoft no longer seems to have it available for download...
I need the 64bit version (32 will not install...) Google so far has not come up with a vaible download link.
Does anyone have a working download link for 64Bit ICE; or can provide the 64bit installer?
Would be extremely grateful.

Wondering why MS took ICE down?
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion - Graham Edge

Gompie
Gompie Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Re: Microsoft ICE - No Longer Available? have a Download?

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,
Reminded by a recent thread that I'd like to try MS ICE as an alternative to Workspace for stitching panoramas.
I need the 64bit version (32 will not install...) Google so far has not come up with a vaible download link.
Does anyone have a working download link for 64Bit ICE; or can provide the 64bit installer?

Thx
Yuri

Hi,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/?from=https%3A%2F%2Fresearch.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fum%2Fredmond%2Fprojects%2Fice%2F

Should work.

Ruud

Gompie's gear list:Gompie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Gompie
Gompie Contributing Member • Posts: 683

Gompie wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Hi,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/?from=https%3A%2F%2Fresearch.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fum%2Fredmond%2Fprojects%2Fice%2F

Should work.

Ruud

Sorry,

I used this link for a while but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Again sorry,

Ruud

Gompie's gear list:Gompie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
superflyguy
superflyguy Regular Member • Posts: 194

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Try CNET's repository:

https://download.cnet.com/Image-Composite-Editor-64-Bit/3000-2192_4-75207152.html

CNET

-- hide signature --

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind
George Orwell

superflyguy's gear list:superflyguy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds
OP OldGuy-Yuri Regular Member • Posts: 265

superflyguy wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Try CNET's repository:

https://download.cnet.com/Image-Composite-Editor-64-Bit/3000-2192_4-75207152.html

CNET

Thanks! This does work, but downloads vers 1.4 ...

I did find ICE 64bit 2.0.3 in the wayback machine (search+ image composite editor in software) - but it is a bittorrent process file.
I did get ICE 2.0.3 MSI and installed, and it seems to open properly.
I currently don't have any panorama images to composite, so couldn't test at the moment. I will take a test series later and try out ICE - will report back.
I will warn anyone who does the wayback torrent file download - Bittorrent may also download and install a Lavasoft program... If you aren't comfortable with how to clean uninstall this and clean your registry properly - move with caution.
I can't say that Lavasoft webcompanion is dangerous - but I don't want nor need it and immediately scrubbed my registry...

Hope this helps anyone else who is looking for ICE 64 bit.
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

Hmmmm! as you say the MS download links are dead....

But the forum appears to still be active(?) Microsoft forums - Image Composite Editor

Somewhere I might may have the 64bit installer v2.0.3.0 that Installed some time back.

Found the installer.....I seem to never dump the installers....just need to find them :lol:  Just under 8MB in size!

-- hide signature --
superflyguy
superflyguy Regular Member • Posts: 194

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

I did find ICE 64bit 2.0.3 in the wayback machine (search+ image composite editor in software) - but it is a bittorrent process file.
I currently don't have any panorama images to composite, so couldn't test at the moment. I will take a test series later and try out ICE - will report back.
I will warn anyone who does the wayback torrent file download - Bittorrent may also download and install a Lavasoft program... If you aren't comfortable with how to clean uninstall this and clean your registry properly - move with caution.
I can't say that Lavasoft webcompanion is dangerous - but I don't want nor need it and immediately scrubbed my registry...

Hope this helps anyone else who is looking for ICE 64 bit.
Thx
Yuri

Try Tixati as the client, completely spyware free.

www.tixati.com

It's a small team and well worth donating to the project if you find it useful.

-- hide signature --

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind
George Orwell

superflyguy's gear list:superflyguy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 8,149

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj047RZiZliyhUPLMIPGQylH0hBq?e=Jv1aLv

Installer for v2.03.  On startup checks for updates.

Maybe you can only install it now from MS Store?

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +28 more

ahaslett wrote:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj047RZiZliyhUPLMIPGQylH0hBq?e=Jv1aLv

Installer for v2.03. On startup checks for updates.

Maybe you can only install it now from MS Store?

Andrew

Hi, Andrew,
As noted in my prior post, I did find ICE 64bit in the wayback machine, internet archive.
Installed, but not yet tested.
If my download doesn't work, I'll give yours a try.

FYI - for other users who might need the WIN 32bit version - I just uploaded
ICE-2.0.3-for-32-bit-Windows.msi
to the wayback machine/Internet Archive can be found using 'search'
or
this link should work...
https://archive.org/details/ice-2.0.3-for-32-bit-windows
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,046

If there's an issue with Torrent, I just uploaded the 2.0.3 Windows 64-bit msi file to Dropbox, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr8czqgg2uh9lry/ICE-2.0.3-for-64-bit-Windows.msi?dl=0

I'll leave it there for a week or so . . . .

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +25 more
1971_M5
1971_M5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,677

Really PATHETIC that the corporate link does not work and there is apparently no current release?  Why?  The software worked just fine.

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more

SO, I did some quick test shot groups using my EM5-ii, using both the available panorama scene mode as well as std Aperture mode. Roughly 8 to 10 shots per group. Same basic images.
Stitched the Aperture mode group using ICE, and used 'panorama' builder in Oly Workspace for the image group shot done in the Panorama scene mode.
Both ended up good. The panorama built using ICE was really quite good - I was very impressed the very seamless stitch. I like ICE quite a lot. There's more leeway for using all the image controls in a shot group using the 'normal' modes like aperture, shutter speed, rather than the 'panorama' scene mode. Which will have me leaning more often to ICE to do the panorama composite.
Also, the ICE 64bit torrent file download which came from the wayback machine/Internet archive worked nicely with no issues. and installed clean and useable without issue on a WIN 10 64bit OS.
Hope that helps for anyone wondering about ICE.
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Gompie wrote:

Gompie wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Hi,

Should work.

Ruud

Sorry,

Again sorry,

Ruud

oh, and thanks to all for pitching in to clarify and find paths to getting ICE.
Ruud, shouldn;t feel sorry - certainly not anything you have control over...
Weird how MS just let the download disappear, and go 404, without any explanation...
I guess further development of it has stopped. That, however, doesn't detract from the value and usability of it's current version.
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 2,111

1971_M5 wrote:

Really PATHETIC that the corporate link does not work and there is apparently no current release? Why? The software worked just fine.

I would have though companies not spending money on supporting freebies for the declining traditional camera user is something to be expected.

Difficult to see how that is PATHETIC. Probably just good commercial sense.

See the other thread running where probably most people will make do with scrappy in device panoramas. Microsoft probably are thinking what is the point.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,705

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Gompie wrote:

Gompie wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Hi,

Should work.

Ruud

Sorry,

Again sorry,

Ruud

oh, and thanks to all for pitching in to clarify and find paths to getting ICE.
Ruud, shouldn;t feel sorry - certainly not anything you have control over...
Weird how MS just let the download disappear, and go 404, without any explanation...
I guess further development of it has stopped. That, however, doesn't detract from the value and usability of it's current version.
Thx
Yuri

Could just have been a mistake by Microsoft. We all know how busy Bill Gates is now, personally injecting spy-bots into every Coronavirus vaccine - he probably forgot to update the site properly.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
FreelanceRider
FreelanceRider New Member • Posts: 12

Very kind of you and Yuri to track this down. I was not aware Microsoft discontinued the program. Thank you

FreelanceRider's gear list:FreelanceRider's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +10 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,575

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

superflyguy wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

Hi All,

Thx
Yuri

Try CNET's repository:

CNET

I love ICE. You can test stitch by chopping up an existing photo.

Open up an image, crop it and 'save as' part 1, open the original again a crop to another piece - always ensure a large overlap - and save as part 2. Etc, etc.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more

Adrian Harris wrote:

OldGuy-Yuri wrote:

I love ICE. You can test stitch by chopping up an existing photo.

Open up an image, crop it and 'save as' part 1, open the original again a crop to another piece - always ensure a large overlap - and save as part 2. Etc, etc.

I also wanted to see how ICE handled numerous segments and the transitions between them, namely 'sky' or other common which carry from one to another.
I did a 10 segment (pics) which spanned a 240 deg sweep. Was really impressed by ICE. It handled the job excellently, with no issues in creating segment transitions, in the sky, which showed no visible transition border from one to the next!
Olympus 'Panorama' scene, using WOrkspace to composite, could not handle the same 10 segment without martked 'border' transitions between some segments.
The shots ICE had to segment were shot using my normal 'Aperture' settings, with no changes from one shot to the next.
The shots composited in WOrkspace were the same image area, but using Olympus Panorama scene mode, which means the camera handles all of the settings . I was somewhat disappointed by the Olympus 'Panorama' Scene mode, because the camera made obvious changes in the settings, which changed the results enough to have obvious transition edges in some segments. WHich means MORE PP work, after the composite is completed...  
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,046

FreelanceRider wrote:

Very kind of you and Yuri to track this down. I was not aware Microsoft discontinued the program. Thank you

You're welcome.  I always save and retain my downloaded software installer files in a specific folder, which gets backed up to external hard drives.  Never know when the drive in my computer that runs my programs might go bad, and there will be a need to reinstall.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads