C1Pro Session Organisation

Started Jan 8, 2019 | Discussions
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,640
C1Pro Session Organisation

As I want to be able to browse my files with other programs and have a basic folder structure which enable me to find files without having to use C1Pro, I have a folder structure with Year and shoot subfolders. Something like this:

The easy way to get photos into a session is simply to create the session in the parent folder (2018 in this example) and this creates the shoot subfolder (Shanghai) within 2018 and the usual Capture / Selects / Output / and Trash subfolders we are used to. You then copy the files from your sd card into the Capture subfolder and away you go.

This works fine but when you browse the file system and open for example the Shanghai folder you don’t see any images only the four subfolders. Not a big issue but I would prefer for the Selects subfolder to actually be at the top level i.e. the Shanghai folder so that the best images are immediately browsable and the other images are tucked away in subfolders.

I lurk over on the PhaseOne forums and there was a post recently from “IanL” showing how to accomplish this so I thought I would share it here😊 I have zero ability when it comes to trying to explain processes so please bear with me. The actual process is very quick and simple.

I am still experimenting with this but the trick is during creation of the new session you use the name of the session to create the required subfolder e.g. Shanghai in the parent folder (2018) and replace the word “Selects” in the Select Subfolder dialogue box with a period “.” (without the quotes). This is a Windows command I don’t know how it would work with a Mac. Doing this means that the Shanghai subfolder becomes the selects folder. So if you move an image from the Capture folder to the “Selects” folder it appear in the Shanghai folder which is what I want.

To make this simple for future use you just create a Session Template which looks like this when you use it in the future - very simple:

So for any new shoot you just type the folder name you require e.g. Hong Kong and press OK. This gives the following file structure:

Now when you work in the session and move all your best shots to “Selects” they appear in the top level folder – Shanghai or Hong Kong.

It is important to recognise when you use this method that you don’t actually have a folder on your HD called “Selects” as you have assigned the top folder to that function using the “period” you entered as the Select subfolders name during session creation. Within C1Pro you will still see the “selects” folder label but it is just a label for whatever folder you have assigned to be your “Selects” folder. Sounds confusing when you write it but easy when you actually use it.

Hope this is of interest to other session users of C1Pro.

Ian

myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Re: C1Pro Session Organisation

IanYorke wrote:

As I want to be able to browse my files with other programs and have a basic folder structure which enable me to find files without having to use C1Pro,very quick and simple.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, useful to know.

Cheers,

Graham

mli20 Regular Member • Posts: 285

Personally I'd use the naming format

yyyymmdd <name>

over

ddmmyyyy <name>

to have the folders at that level sorted by date, in my opinion rather more meaningful than the day-month-year sorting order.

MLI

OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,640

mli20 wrote:

Personally I'd use the naming format

yyyymmdd <name>

over

ddmmyyyy <name>

to have the folders at that level sorted by date, in my opinion rather more meaningful than the day-month-year sorting order.

MLI

Yes, I agree just habit (UK)

Ian

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,095

This looks interesting. I am currently using LR Classic as my major DAM and for about 75% of my edits. I use Capture One for about 25% of the edits - for my better shots where I want to really work the colors.

I started with Sessions, as I used to use that when I used CO up to version 7.

Now with V12, I am using their Catalog, where I only keep the ones I want to edit in their catalog. This has some advantages, and some disadvantages. I started with sessions, but was not comfortable with having so many multiple sessions for every shoot I did.

I should probably relook at them with what you have said above in mind.

But my plan is to use iMatch as my DAM if and when I leave LR.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

This looks interesting. I am currently using LR Classic as my major DAM and for about 75% of my edits. I use Capture One for about 25% of the edits - for my better shots where I want to really work the colors.

Now with V12, I am using their Catalog, where I only keep the ones I want to edit in their catalog. This has some advantages, and some disadvantages. I started with sessions, but was not comfortable with having so many multiple sessions for every shoot I did.

I was having problems with CO12 when I exported (or processed) photos to a new folder that was a child of the image folder. CO12 does not recognize the existence of that new folder, and requires an import of it to get it and the processed photos into the catalog.

I just posted the following on the CO board:

I have just started a trial with iMatch as a DAM for Capture One 12.

It turns out iMatch can "open" a file in CO12. It behaves like an import, as it places the file in the new subfolder I exported to and it appears in the Catalog.
Then, within CO12, I can sync that new folder, and pick up all the processed files that were in it.

One small issue - in iMatch I can't "open " more than one file at a time from the new folder. I don't know if it is iMatch issue, or a CO issue. I suspect the latter.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

I was having problems with CO12 when I exported (or processed) photos to a new folder that was a child of the image folder. CO12 does not recognize the existence of that new folder, and requires an import of it to get it and the processed photos into the catalog.

It turns out iMatch can "open" a file in CO12. It behaves like an import, as it places the file in the new subfolder I exported to and it appears in the Catalog.
Then, within CO12, I can sync that new folder, and pick up all the processed files that were in it.

One small issue - in iMatch I can't "open " more than one file at a time from the new folder. I don't know if it is iMatch issue, or a CO issue. I suspect the latter.

I keep seeing references to Imatch seems like a powerful dam.

Ian

IanYorke wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Ian

It is. I am just 2 days into the trial - and I have a lot to learn. It has lots of flexibility, which increases the amount of learning I need to do.

Eventually, I want to use it for all my .docs, pdfs, and spreadsheets. I think it will help me.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
Mario M. Westphal
Mario M. Westphal Regular Member • Posts: 447

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

IMatch supports the standard Windows shell open and drag & drop protocols. If you select a bunch of files in a File Window and then use one of the "Open" or "Open with..." commands, IMatch instructs windows to "open" these files with the associated or selected application.

The same is true for drag & drop. When you drag files from IMatch to a desktop / task bar icon an application window, IMatch 'sends' these files using the standard protocols.

It's completely up to the other application how it handles the files. Or if it supports drag & drop or shell open at all.

Some applications, like Photoshop, just open all the files. ACR opens the import dialog and displays all the dropped files in a film strip. Lr opens the Import dialog instead.

Office products usually open all files. Some video editors place the dropped files on the timeline.

It depends on the target application and how the developers interpreted the standard Windows shell protocols. Or what they considered as the most useful option for the user.

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

Mario M. Westphal
Mario M. Westphal Regular Member • Posts: 447

IanYorke wrote:

Ian

IMatch is around for a some time and I work hard to make it better with every release. It works great for many users in over 60 countries. It may also work great for you.
Or not - depending on what your requirements are, your operating system (IMatch is for Windows) your workflow, tool chain, experiences and many other factors.

For a first impression, check out the teaser video or watch some of the free video tutorials. The comprehensive help system is also available online.

You can also download the free trial version (no questions asked, no registration needed) and test it out with your files. I provide full support via the IMatch community and email for trial versions of course.

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

IMatch supports the standard Windows shell open and drag & drop protocols. If you select a bunch of files in a File Window and then use one of the "Open" or "Open with..." commands, IMatch instructs windows to "open" these files with the associated or selected application.

The same is true for drag & drop. When you drag files from IMatch to a desktop / task bar icon an application window, IMatch 'sends' these files using the standard protocols.

It's completely up to the other application how it handles the files. Or if it supports drag & drop or shell open at all.

Some applications, like Photoshop, just open all the files. ACR opens the import dialog and displays all the dropped files in a film strip. Lr opens the Import dialog instead.

Office products usually open all files. Some video editors place the dropped files on the timeline.

It depends on the target application and how the developers interpreted the standard Windows shell protocols. Or what they considered as the most useful option for the user.

Thanks. I suspected so much. CO's catalog is probably its weakest component right now. If I select a group of files, it will open the last one in line.

It is not a huge issue, as I can flip over to the CO folder view, and sync that folder.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
Chris Dubea
Chris Dubea Senior Member • Posts: 1,826

Ian,

Thank you for presenting this. I've combined the information you presented with this thread about C1 workflow into the cornerstone of my Capture One workflow.

My workflow is now designated into two different steps:

1) Ingest and post processing - Per your information, I create a session on a Samsung EVO USB drive using a file session template. It's set up in a very similar fashion to Ian's patterned after my photo folder arrangement on my NAS box. The images are imported from the SD card to the sesion folder on the SSD.

Once ingested, I go through the Capture folder and move the keepers to the Session folder. I never throw any images away as storage space is dirt cheap, but I definitely like separating the wheat from the chaff if you will.

The keepers are given stars based on the quality and anything with three stars or over is relegated for further post processing. Then fcracers' workflow is put into place and it works very nicely.

The images destined for further usage are processed using an appropriate recipe in C1 and placed in the output folder in an appropriate sub folder.

2) Cataloging - Once I've gone through the first phase, and all is done, I copy the session folder to my NAS box into the appropriate subfolder. Then I import the session into my main Capture One catalog for archival purposes.

This is taken me a while to work through and it provides me the optimum workflow. A majority of the PP'ing work is done locally on my Dell XPS 13 laptop (albeit on a USB driver) and not impacted by wireless network speeds. Once done, the SSD is copied to my NAS with my desktop which has a Gb ethernet connection so it's quite speedy.

It was exercised just this morning as I did part one while sitting at the kitchen table after a ham and eggs breakfast

Thanks to you and fcracer for their help!

-- hide signature --

Chris

Chris Dubea's gear list:Chris Dubea's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more

Chris Dubea wrote:

Ian,

Thank you for presenting this. I've combined the information you presented with this thread about C1 workflow into the cornerstone of my Capture One workflow.

My workflow is now designated into two different steps:

1) Ingest and post processing - Per your information, I create a session on a Samsung EVO USB drive using a file session template. It's set up in a very similar fashion to Ian's patterned after my photo folder arrangement on my NAS box. The images are imported from the SD card to the sesion folder on the SSD.

Once ingested, I go through the Capture folder and move the keepers to the Session folder. I never throw any images away as storage space is dirt cheap, but I definitely like separating the wheat from the chaff if you will.

The keepers are given stars based on the quality and anything with three stars or over is relegated for further post processing. Then fcracers' workflow is put into place and it works very nicely.

The images destined for further usage are processed using an appropriate recipe in C1 and placed in the output folder in an appropriate sub folder.

2) Cataloging - Once I've gone through the first phase, and all is done, I copy the session folder to my NAS box into the appropriate subfolder. Then I import the session into my main Capture One catalog for archival purposes.

This is taken me a while to work through and it provides me the optimum workflow. A majority of the PP'ing work is done locally on my Dell XPS 13 laptop (albeit on a USB driver) and not impacted by wireless network speeds. Once done, the SSD is copied to my NAS with my desktop which has a Gb ethernet connection so it's quite speedy.

It was exercised just this morning as I did part one while sitting at the kitchen table after a ham and eggs breakfast

Thanks to you and fcracer for their help!

That's what forums are for, helping each other, and I am glad if I helped in a small way.

There are no real right or wrongs only personal choices which work for you, unfortunately not everyone feels that way

Ian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads