RX1r, Setup Suggestions and Notes

Started Mar 13, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,640
RX1r, Setup Suggestions and Notes

I need them written for myself, here is what I have done with my new to me RX1r.

Jpeg Only until I learn the camera, then I will try RAW + Jpeg

Please note any errors so I can fix them. Nigel, skip item 15 please.

Changes from Default

1. Quality: Extra Fine (Jpeg only) (much less compression, allows more aggressive cropping). RAW + Jpeg defaults to Jpeg Fine Compression. After testing XF, I will try RAW + Jpeg Fine

2. Panorama Direction: UP: (to take ‘Tall’ Pano’s), a nicely proportioned Wide shot: set direction up, turn camera vertically, and sweep right. Top dial must be in Pano to change Pano size and direction in the menu.

3. Clear Image Zoom: ON. Jpeg only. (see item 15)

4. AF Illuminator: Off (avoid blinding people like I did to Cassandra Wilson on stage).

5. Movie File Format: MP4. David Pogue, Gary Friedman and I agree, AVCHD not much better, not worth the larger files, or need to open with specific software. Fixed 35mm movie?

Movie Audio: The built in mics cannot record music well, for me, it’s just memory clips: MP4. RX1r has mic jack, and hot shoe for External Mics: then AVCHD? Now I use my Sony HD Movie Camera with lots of zoom/decent built-in mic. Newer ones are better and smaller.

6. SteadyShot: ON. RX1r has no IS for Stills, it is for Movies only. Turn off if using Tripod.

7. Auto Review: 5 secs, important while learning. Gives time to press Mag button to see results (AEL button is Mag in playback). Half press shutter button any time: back to live view.

Btw: learning this beast: have several batteries ready. It needs a bigger battery.

8. Display Button (monitor): All, None, Level. IF have viewfinder, check box: For viewfinder.

9. Display Button (finder): All, None, Level. (see items 29 and 30: Fn button and Quick Navi)

10. Peaking Level: High. I use low on my rx100’s, great while magnified, but I needed High for RX1r to see peaking well, not sure why.

11. Peaking Color: Yellow. (my preference, all my Sony’s)

12. MF Assist: On. RX1r initial magnification is 5.9X (smaller than rx100 start of 8.6x). rx100’s MF mag can toggle between 8.6x and 17.2x by pressing the rear center button while magnified. RX1r, somewhere, not figured out yet, you can mag to 11.7x, (option for MF assist, or, 11.7x just for playback? )

13. Focus Mag Time: No limit. (return to framing view anytime, by shutter button half press).

14. C Button: AF/MF Control Hold. (intuitive location next to shutter button). AF/MF Control Hold is needed to use BBF back button focus method. (See BBF item 28)

15. AEL button: Smart Telecon/Zoom. Jpeg Only. ‘effortless, occasional, good enough’ .

Heresy I know, but, I like both extra zooms (as well as Oly’s 2X, similar to CIZ). Not trying to sell it, but explain it here, all in one place. I always encourage everyone to at least try it. Or go to item 16.

a. Smart Zoom (optical sensor crop, no upscaling) (only available at medium or small image sizes. Works in steps: 24mp = 35mm optical; 10mp = 52mm; 5mp = 80mm.

b. CIZ, clear image zoom, Jpeg Only. Double Heresy, Nigel might confiscate my RX1r.

Sensor crop, combined with in-camera upscaling, better than old fashioned Digital Zoom. Works progressively, starts after Smart Zoom. Zoom using the right/left rockers.

Press AEL button (nice mag symbol next to the button to remind me). AEL button is assigned to Smart Telcon/Zoom. A zoom scale shows up on lcd, use rockers to zoom.

You see a linear scale: optical, then SZ step(s), then CIZ progressive zoom.

a. 24mp: no SZ; CIZ to 70mm

b. 10mp: SZ step to 52mm; then CIZ progressive zoom to 105mm;

c. 5mp: SZ two steps: 52mm; then 80mm; then CIZ progressive zoom to 157mm.

Note, ‘effortless’. cropping RAW shot is one extra step, then upscaling it if needed, is step two, if you have the software, and PP skills. Using in-camera Zooms: both focus and metering is taken using the zoomed area, a possible benefit, as well as you noticing an unseen detail if zoomed.

16. Left Rocker: AEL Toggle. If you use AEL, and you re-assign the AEL button, this is an intuitive location: When AEL is engaged, an * shows up, on the bottom info line of the lcd, at the right end. So, your * and AEL button are adjacent. Works for me. Note: left rocker default of drive mode is in both the Fn button, and Quick Navi menus for quick change, nothing lost.

17. Right Rocker: AF/MF Toggle. Works no matter what position the damnable dinky round front focus wheel is in. God I hate that thing. Should be a lever, properly positioned. Note: right rocker default of Flash mode is also in Fn and Quick Navi menus, nothing lost.

18. Down Rocker: Image Size. Not in Fn menu, or Quick Navi. I change to get SZ or more CIZ. Mostly for my rx100’s. I may not use it much here, but, I want to see CIZ on this sensor.

Quality is a good option to put here. Change from RAW to Jpeg, or to RAW + Jpeg instantly. Quality does not exist in Fn or Navi menus.

19. Smart Telecon/Zoom: Zoom (that activates CIZ). Default Smart Telecon setting blocks CIZ, and keeps ONLY SZ 52mm at 10mp; 80mm @ 5mp.

20. Movie Button: Movie Mode Only (dead unless top dial is in Movie Mode). Shame we cannot use it for something else. I never accidentally hit movie button, except when it ruins ___

21. Picture Effect: (Playback Menu, pg 2).

This is to make an additional alternate photo of any normal photo on the memory card. Either Watercolor, or Illustration. At any time, later at home. Press play button, select an image, then press Menu, go to Playback menu, page 2, Picture Effect, select either Watercolor, or Illustration, press rear center button, the alternate image is created. That’s the way the original rx100m1 works. Unfortunately, m2,3,4, you need to make a separate Effect Photo yourself, while shooting.

22. Menu Start: Previous, stays where you had it last. Change something, shoot, change it back.

23. Mode Dial Guide: Off

24. LCD Brightness: Sunny Weather. Auto doesn’t work well on my rx100s, or RX1r.

Dark Option: to be inconspicuous, I change to Manual, which I leave at -2. Enough image to frame with, you can still see peaking if using MF, or use AF, P&S, see what you got later.

25. Viewfinder Brightness: Manual, +1. Adjust manually while looking thru Viewfinder. Adjust viewfinder diopter to see the text on the EVf, not something beyond.

26. Power Saving Time: 5 min. Turn off by switch any time. Needed while learning camera, and, while strolling around shooting this and that. Don’t want it turning off just when needed. LCD still goes dark by itself to save power, tap shutter button to re-awaken.

Note: Viewfinder has a button, left side, that turns lcd off/on to save power.

27. Audio Signals: Off.

28. BBF: (Back Button Focus) (disables/separates focus from Shutter Button)

Once a shot is taken, using BBF, that focus distance is held for subsequent shots, until changed. No focus occurs at half shutter press, faster shutter.

BBF Setup (works similarly if you use different button assignments)

a. Front focus dial: MF.

b. C Button: AF/MF Control Hold (item 14).

c. Right Rocker: AF/MF Toggle (item 17)(not needed for BBF). Instant AF when front focus dial is in MF, instant back to MF. OR, instant MF when front focus dial is in AF. Instant back to AF.

BBF Operation:

1. Front focus dial MF

2. Turn on Camera. Use MF normally, shoot,

OR

3. Turn on Camera, Press C button. Camera automatically engages AF.

a. Shoot immediately using AF,

OR

b. refine Manual Focus, Shoot.

Advantage: less turning focus ring, less time using MF because AF gets the lens positioned quickly. Similar to DMF, except, you do not need to hold the C button, just press it once to engage AF.

4. Focus Distance is Held, for subsequent shots. If you or subject moves a bit, minimal turn is needed to refine MF focus. If subject moves a lot, press C button again, AF finds subject again, shoot or refine MF focus, shoot.

29. Fn Button: Unlike rx100’s, RX1r Fn Button items are NOT assignable. Unforgivable. Press Fn button, use rockers to item, center button to choose/set an option.

30. Quick Navi: A special screen, only available if the EVF is installed. Using it is a two step process. Step One: Press Disp top rocker, until Quick Navi screen appears. It is not active yet. Step two: Press Fn button. Now, it becomes active, can change settings like Fn button. It has other info, available because it is too much info to see via EVF.

31. Flash: Leave ON (fill) in menu, leave flash down, it cannot fire. Pop it up, ready to fire. It retains the +/- flash comp strength you last used. I use it cut back, and adjust shot to shot readily.

Note: even using cut back, flash needs a full charge to give consistent levels shot to shot.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299
Re: RX1r, Setup Suggestions and Notes

Not seeing Zebra on there anywhere, that one's important. Not a fan of auto-review, I leave it off so I can shoot without pause and then review at my leisure. Having the thirds grid on can be more helpful than most folks realize..

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,640

SoCalWill wrote:

Thanks Will,

Not seeing Zebra on there anywhere, that one's important.

I plan on getting better first, then mess with both Histogram and Zebra. Zebra eats up the battery if you don't pay attention to it.

Not a fan of auto-review, I leave it off so I can shoot without pause and then review at my leisure. Having the thirds grid on can be more helpful than most folks realize..

Off on my other cameras. I need it now, to learn this one, I am not only learning the camera, I am learning how to use a FF sensor for the first time, and use it with a fairly bright lens.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
CCV293EH1938
CCV293EH1938 Regular Member • Posts: 236

elliottnewcomb wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

Thanks Will,

I plan on getting better first, then mess with both Histogram and Zebra. Zebra eats up the battery if you don't pay attention to it.

The way I see it, histogram and zebras would actually help you to get better. So if anything I would turn them on in the beginning, and maybe turn them off later when you're more comfortable with the camera.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

CCV293EH1938's gear list:CCV293EH1938's gear list
Sony RX100 Phase One Capture One Pro

CCV293EH1938 wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

Thanks Will,

The way I see it, histogram and zebras would actually help you to get better. So if anything I would turn them on in the beginning, and maybe turn them off later when you're more comfortable with the camera.

Right you are, boy, the rx100's sure travel with us, my m1 is in the car door always ready, m3 on my desk, always ready for an indoor opportunity when something happens, especially with the grand-kids.

I agree histograms and zebras can help, thanks for that, I will get to them sooner than planned.

I meant get better handling the camera, physically, and a better understanding of FF/Aperture/DOF, relative to my current type 1 size and 1/1.7 sensors. I have damaged hands, it takes me a while.

I want more Shallow Depth of Focus capabilities, this definitely will do that, but I realized, getting as much as I want in focus is not the same settings as my rx100's. And, ISO #s/results ......

I was pretty quick with my Setup Suggestons for RX1, because I know the rx100's so well, had the RX10 for a while, and RTFM for RX1, every word, making notes, while waiting for the camera.

Don't know if you were around when rx100m1 was new, Sony rushed it to market, no real manual existed for months, we were on our own. I did the same thing, learnd the beast, wrote notes for myself and Sue. Then made a super-condensed manual, and later, when asked, put together a 2 page learning guide for m1. People respond to it favorably.

rx100m1 has unique challenges due to it's lousy IS, and default to 1/30th in both Autos, P, and A, making those modes useless to me and others. So I say, "get thee out of auto".

m3, excellent IS, brighter lens, steadier EVF shooting position, is much easier, I can use the Autos, P and A modes now with m3. We can more easily hand an m3 to someone else to take a shot, or borrow it for a day. Auto ISO in M makes a difference. I do not have an instinct yet about RX1 ISO.

It took me a month before I felt the Stylus 1 was mine physically, then I learned it's settings, my first Oly, that was not easy, typed notes, then a setup suggestions thread that has been very well received.

Better exposures are not my initial agenda: holding steady, moving from C button to shutter button for BBF (my first time using it), avoiding blur and achieving intended focus location are next, perhaps back to it Tuesday, tomorrow's taken. Today was figuring out and typing my setup notes, not a single photo taken. My butt hurts and my hands are tired.

And learning to 'see' 35mm is a priority before better exposures. This camera will inspire me to go beyond my past I am sure.

I love the RX1 b&w photos I have seen, and like high contrast b&w. I will want histogram and zebra skills for that.

Thanks again to all who help me here,

-- hide signature --

Elliott

mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,904

The setup is very similar to the RX100 series and I am sure you will understand the options well to make it work for you very quickly.

Depth of field is the biggest change going from smaller sensor to full frame. It does affect greatly how you shoot and something to be mindful of.

F2.0 is for taking photos of a single subject and even still when photographing one person you could get the eyes in focus and the ears out if the head is tilted; it is that shallow. Multiple people you definitely need to step down.

Makes picture taking harder but more rewarding when you nail it.

The lens is amazing and the 35mm is so versatile.

You can feel much more comfortable with this camera letting that ISO number creep up much higher than your other cameras would allow.

AF is lackluster so best to get good with the manual focus which can be done with help of the in camera aids. Between focus peaking and focus magnification you can fine tune your focus quite well as long as your subject is not moving.

I have never used the zebra's for taking stills. Use the histogram but only after taking the shot and quick reviewing it, I should but usually too preoccupied checking the level in the camera and then often the grid of 3rd's lines as well that I rarely get to the histogram before clicking the shutter.

Biggest gripe for me is the bulb function can only be used with an old school cable release, the camera to my knowledge is not compatible with any type of remote or anything else and there is no way to trigger the start and stop for bulb mode without a cable release connected. I know most probably don't use or care about bulb mode but it is very useful for night photography, use of strong ND filters, lightning and fireworks.

I definitely recommend a good wrist strap!

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II
mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,904

Forgot to add and this is important as it used to get me often!

With the battery life quite short, as you are aware:  I like to turn off the camera between shots if I am moving at all or setting up the tripod differently, etc...

Remember that with this camera the previous focus distance resets when the camera is turned off!

This really bugs street shooters but is very aggravating for me when shooting landscapes and trying to be battery conscious and also protective of the camera by keeping it off whenever I am in motion.

This has escaped me a few times, as the A7R camera with a Sony focus by wire FE lens does not behave this way, it remembers the previous focus distance setting at least for a little while when I turn off between shots.

I love the aperture dial on the lens rather than having to use the camera to adjust aperture but would trade it for a focus distance dial with settings.  They should have included both on the lens!

Regarding battery life is something that you learn to cope with and as long as you have 2 spares is not an issue.  They weigh almost nothing and you will not run out of battery if you have 3 of them.

For what ever reason the cold is a really battery drainer on this camera, the EVF is as well if you opted for that optional extra.  The EVF while nice was poorly designed as far as attaching to the camera as it is very easy for it to slip off the camera and on to the hard ground.

At first I was not crazy about the in camera charging and thought I would not use it, but picked up one of those rechargeable power banks and being able to plug that right into the camera to charge the camera battery is really cool.

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II

I use MF a great deal of the time, rx100's, Stylus 1, now RX1r. I am pretty quick with MF, and now, with BBF, can combine AF to get near instantly, and MF to refine it my way.

I like rx100's the best, magnification is stronger, 8.6X and 17.2X. RX1 is 5.9X, nice, but ...

I couldn't use DMF on rx100's, due to need to keep shutter button pressed while refining MF. BBF is like that, except, a single press/release activates AF, then your right hand is free to hold and shoot normally. The screen shots I take are handheld MF, magnification with peaking. Paintbrushes is a big ctop of 10mp image size.

I took the Sony Shoulder/Neck strap off, and put one of my Oly adjustable wrist straps on. $4. They snug up to any size wrist, I let my 3 grand kids use my rx100, no problemo. I purposely knock it out of their hands, to show them the importance of it. They get it right away.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=601277&gclid=CJ_Qy92uw8sCFdcTgQodgCEHng&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

Not sure yet how I will take RX1 on the road, I have several existing options. Some sunny day, not today. Foot still healing from surgery, I cannot go far.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Same battery as my rx100's, This came with 4, I now have 7 batteries, and 1 more temporarily lost.

Ring had slipped into macro inadvertently, as someone mentioned, gotta watch that. That ring could have been used for something progressive as you say, and put the macro on the stupid dinky PITA focus mode wheel where it belongs.

I love this 'stupid' thing.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 354

Thanks Elliot, this list is really useful for me, also new to RX1, and Sony menus. You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into compiling all this.

Cheers,

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
M Dennis Fern Regular Member • Posts: 270

I have two "big" questions:

1.   Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to set up the memory settings?

2,    Can anyone explain what "back focus" means; what it accomplishes, and how to set it up?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

M Dennis Fern's gear list:M Dennis Fern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sony RX100 Sony a7R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +5 more

bounce by request

-- hide signature --

Elliott

chuikov Regular Member • Posts: 274

elliottnewcomb wrote:

bounce by request

Thank you Elliot; this is perfect!

chuikov's gear list:chuikov's gear list
Sony RX1
Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

elliottnewcomb wrote:

bounce by request

Elliot, have you looked at the "Friedman" book for the RX1R II? There are differences between the first and second versions of the camera, but I believe they still have a lot in common.

-Ross (author of the book) http://friedmanarchives.com/RX1RII/index.htm

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more

Ross Warner wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

bounce by request

Elliot, have you looked at the "Friedman" book for the RX1R II? There are differences between the first and second versions of the camera, but I believe they still have a lot in common.

-Ross (author of the book) http://friedmanarchives.com/RX1RII/index.htm

Hey Ross,

I have not, probably should, your collaborative books for any model are always highly regarded.

The 'big' change, from RX1r to RX1rII, aside from it's monster 42mp sensor, is that they have added the small pop-up EVF, therefore eliminating the built-in flash, in order to keep the hot shoe.

I have the hot shoe EVF, am in love with it, (have a case allowing leaving it on) and occasionally use flash, AND, I never print large, so those extra 18mp are less important to me, original RX1r 24mp is huge.

A big flash would be wasted on 35mm, I want them to put the hot shoe back on the rx100m6, along with mic and headphone jacks, then I could use my EVF on it, a full range directional mic, and a big flash on 24mm for larger group shots at reunions, holidays.

A small external flash, like Panasonic provides, could be in the box, so the camera would have popup evf and hotshoe, small hot shoe flash.

btw, current rx100m3,4,5 the flash in center position, is a very awkward position if trying to use it's flex/bounce feature, especially if popup evf is up. far left end position of m1,2 flash is much better when flexing/bouncing flash.

Elliott

SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299

elliottnewcomb wrote:

btw, current rx100m3,4,5 the flash in center position, is a very awkward position if trying to use it's flex/bounce feature

Rubber band. And if you want awkward, mount the camera and flash on an L-bracket - now your RX100 has a full size flash on it, but the flash is heavier than the camera..

-- hide signature --

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max

SoCalWill wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

btw, current rx100m3,4,5 the flash in center position, is a very awkward position if trying to use it's flex/bounce feature

Rubber band. And if you want awkward, mount the camera and flash on an L-bracket - now your RX100 has a full size flash on it, but the flash is heavier than the camera..

most will just take the camera and go, and with bright lens, flash use is minimal. I just wanted to point out the benefit/disadvantage of end or center flash location so people know.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

bounce

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads