Norway fjords: wide or long?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Questions
Roman Fishtein Forum Member • Posts: 55
Norway fjords: wide or long?

Hi guys,

This summer (June) we are going for 12 days Norway fjords cruise. I've never been to fjords and would appreciate any piece of advise on the lenses.

I have D90. Currently 70-300 is my longest lens. Normal zoom is Nikon 17-55. A couple of primes (35 and 85, both 1.8). I also have a very good copy of Sigma 50-150 2.8 (the old one without OS).

Will I miss UWA to capture fjords? I might be able to get a deal on a used Nikon 10-24.

Will 300 max FL be a significant limiting factor? I do not think I will spring for 40-800... but may be upgrade to 7100 with its additional 1.3 crop mode (and have massive resolution upgrade).

Appreciate your advise and, of course, images if you care to share.

TNX,

(Posted also in D90 forum)

-- hide signature --

RF

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368
Re: Norway fjords: wide or long?

Definately wide.

Norway is a beautiful country with spectacular sights. It would be a shame if you couldn't take wide angle shots. There is much more said for a wide angle lens in Norway then you will have with a long lens.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more
Landsandgrooves Regular Member • Posts: 176

If you can grab that 10-24, you'll be glad you did.

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 NEX5R Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7 II +23 more
Jan3x5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,523

You definitely need UWA lens. 17-55 will be useful as well, super telephoto not that much - you should be fine with 50-150.

-- hide signature --
 Jan3x5's gear list:Jan3x5's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +6 more
afterburn Contributing Member • Posts: 994

Roman Fishtein wrote:

Hi guys,

This summer (June) we are going for 12 days Norway fjords cruise. I've never been to fjords and would appreciate any piece of advise on the lenses.

I have D90. Currently 70-300 is my longest lens. Normal zoom is Nikon 17-55. A couple of primes (35 and 85, both 1.8). I also have a very good copy of Sigma 50-150 2.8 (the old one without OS).

Will I miss UWA to capture fjords? I might be able to get a deal on a used Nikon 10-24.

Will 300 max FL be a significant limiting factor? I do not think I will spring for 40-800... but may be upgrade to 7100 with its additional 1.3 crop mode (and have massive resolution upgrade).

TNX,

-- hide signature --

RF

You definitely need both. You will want to capture the spectacular scenery with a (U)WA, but you will also want to be able to capture details like waterfalls with something longer.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Bob GB Senior Member • Posts: 1,715

Roman Fishtein wrote:

Where are going, from where to where? What shipping company are you going with?

I have D90. Currently 70-300 is my longest lens. Normal zoom is Nikon 17-55. A couple of primes (35 and 85, both 1.8). I also have a very good copy of Sigma 50-150 2.8.

The 17-55 is perfect for much of what you will encounter. In certain areas a wider lens would be an asset. You may see narrow sounds with steep mountains on both sides. If you want to take pictures inside the cabin and in similar situations an UWA can be handy.

If you buy a 10-24, remember practicing with it before the journey.

300 mm is OK, IMHO.

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

Roman Fishtein wrote:

On a conventional "Large Ship" cruise, you may find an UWA to be very useful for shore excursions, and occasionally for photographing things on the ship itself.  All too often, though, ultra-wide shots while underway result in a lot of ocean, a lot of sky, a small strip of scenery, and a dull shot.

It depends on how interested you are in wildlife shots.  Even on a 100-ton small ship "un-cruise" in Alaska, I could have used an 800mm lens at one point.  If you happen to be a birder and your finances and weight allowances permit, consider renting an xx-400mm or xx-500mm lens.

Here's one I have handy, which was taken at 50mm with a D800:

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +33 more
mobi1
mobi1 Forum Member • Posts: 65

I traveled Norway in the past but at that time I didn't have DSLR.

But still, when I looked at my pictures, most of them were shot using wide angle mode (using digital compact camera).

LarsDalsbo
LarsDalsbo Regular Member • Posts: 105

As our fjords are mountains crashing steeply down in to the sea, you would greatly appreciate a wide lens to capture it all. It also depends a lot where in Norway you are going? Some of the fjords at the south-west have some incredible houses/farms high up in the mountain side, which would make a pretty good tele lens the hero of the day. 
But if I was to bring only one lens, I would take a wide angle lens any day.

Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,187

Roman Fishtein wrote:

Hi guys,

TNX,

-- hide signature --

RF

Reading your subject line, my most immediate answer would be: A typical Norwegian fjord is definitely long rather then wide

As for lenses, I would chime in with the rest: A UWA lens of some sort will be fun, not only for the views, but also for more general shots while on the cruise. And a 300 mm will be used too - as someone mentioned, you will see lots of "small things within the big scenery" where a telephoto zoom can be very useful.

Lenses aside I would make sure to bring wind and water resistant clothing ... The landscape you will encounter in Norway is going to be spectacularly beautiful, while the weather, at times, might not be ... Seriously, you will travel in coastal climate and you can and will see all sorts of weather within a single hour. And the weather changes themselves will at times provide you with good photo oppurtunities, so make sure your dressed to deal with it.

Some images from Lofoten, up north on the Norwegian coast:

300mm, f4, 1/800

95 mm, f7,1, 1/160

50 mm, f4, 1/500

300 mm, f5, 1/250

29 mm, f5,5, 1/250

46 mm, f5.6, 1/1000

50 mm, f4, 1/640

10,5 mm, f5.6, 1/1500

-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

Slight correction.  The shot was taken at 75mm (equiv of 50mm on DX).

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +33 more
OP Roman Fishtein Forum Member • Posts: 55

Bob GB wrote:

Where are going, from where to where? What shipping company are you going with?

Celebrity Constellation is the ship, round trip from Amsterdam. Cruise Schedule: Amsterdam, Holland   Bergen, Norway  Olden, Norway Molde, Norway  Geiranger, Norway Alesund, Norway  Skjolden, Norway Flam, Norway Oslo, Norway

The 17-55 is perfect for much of what you will encounter. In certain areas a wider lens would be an asset. You may see narrow sounds with steep mountains on both sides. If you want to take pictures inside the cabin and in similar situations an UWA can be handy.

If you buy a 10-24, remember practicing with it before the journey.

You are absolutely right, UWA is very different, I can tell already from playing a few hours with my brand new (but used) toy (I mean tool).

-- hide signature --

RF

Great captures, #3 and #5 in particular!

-- hide signature --

RF

Thanks a lot for all your feedback and advise. Based on what you said I purchased Nikon 10-24 in excellent condition and started the exciting process of leaning the new tool. I am pleasantly suprised by its center sharpness (no, it ain't 17-55 but that is expected) and compactness. Naturally, I have no clue how to compose using UWA... It also looks like D90 meters differently with 10-24 - for some reason I get underexposed images compared to 17-55 (both at @24mm). Is that expected?

So I am going to take10-24, 17-55 and 70-300. If I decide to take advantage of the current rebates and get 24-120 it might replace 17-55 to minimize the lens changes... But I will sure miss 17-55 and it is weather sealed which might make a big difference in Norway.

TNX,

-- hide signature --

RF

Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 1,678

Ciao Roman

first of all I've never been in Norway, so I'm commenting what others said.

Actually I saw lots of people suggesting you a wide angle but most shots were at telephoto range from 50mm to 95 to even more. Only a couple were rightfully shorter, anyway from the boat you'll need a long lens for sure. Besides (and to be honest) rather than filling everything with sea or sky, I prefer a nice frame of a red-roofed house or a colorful boat...

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D500 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
BigJohnL Junior Member • Posts: 47

I have taken this cruise (18 days R/T from Dover, turning back at Murmansk). What you need depends on your ports of call. My shots range from 18mm to 200 mm (D700), with over 95% in the range from 28mm to 135mm (ashore) and 35mm to 105mm (at sea). Lens speed won't be much of an issue ... it will be daylight for most of the day, and bright from about 3AM until 11PM. Your best photographic opportunities will be Flaam, Geiranger and Bergen, although there will not be any poor locations. Weather can be iffy, though; expect some rain, and there will still be some snow in the mountains. Enjoy the cruise!

BigJohnL's gear list:BigJohnL's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +9 more
EL-Corazon Forum Member • Posts: 70

welcome to Norway:-)

Bob GB Senior Member • Posts: 1,715

Roman Fishtein wrote:

It also looks like D90 meters differently with 10-24 - for some reason I get underexposed images compared to 17-55 (both at @24mm). Is that expected?

No, it is not to be expected. May be the stop need to be calibrated. Let a Nikon work shop have a look.

So I am going to take10-24, 17-55 and 70-300. If I decide to take advantage of the current rebates and get 24-120 it might replace 17-55 to minimize the lens changes... But I will sure miss 17-55 and it is weather sealed which might make a big difference in Norway.

Weather sealing is not a big issue I think.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,383
10-24 metering

Roman Fishtein wrote:

Thanks a lot for all your feedback and advise. Based on what you said I purchased Nikon 10-24 in excellent condition and started the exciting process of leaning the new tool. I am pleasantly suprised by its center sharpness (no, it ain't 17-55 but that is expected) and compactness. Naturally, I have no clue how to compose using UWA... It also looks like D90 meters differently with 10-24 - for some reason I get underexposed images compared to 17-55 (both at @24mm). Is that expected?

I don't see any exposure issues with the 10-24 on my D300. Are you using matrix metering?

With respect to composition, a 10-24 takes some getting used to. Most of the time, 10mm is too wide. Be glad the lens zooms to 24. I have found very few subjects deserve 10mm and I end up cropping most of my 10mm shots. But if you really need the coverage, it's there and the lens is good.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
fireplace33
fireplace33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,140
Re: 10-24 metering

This is one at 10mm with a D90 from Norway,...

There is a lot of wide open space in Norway! ENJOY.
Great to have an UWA lens avaialable.

When composing a shot with a UWA , try and position something in the foreground, often helps.

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads