Pen F broken... what would you do?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,652
Pen F broken... what would you do?

I posted before about issues with my Pen F... that I won't go into here, but suffice to say that it's developed some issues and ones that I can't quite live with (and if I had to predict, will likely get worse). After spending $50 on an estimate at a local shop, the estate to repair is another $300, which is of course less than another Pen F body, but enough to question whether or not I want to keep this thing. Mostly I've been happy with the Pen F so I wasn't really looking for a reason to upgrade as I have stuff other than photography that I'd rather be spending money on. I liked the small size, form factor/design of the Pen F, the way that it feels in my hands (with the attached grip anyway) and the issues that I had with it, namely a touchy EVF sensor and dodgy focus in low light were the sorts of things that I kind of got used to and therefore didn't really bug me so much... but now that the thing is broken and the bill will be $300 to fix, I wonder if I would be better off spending that towards a used copy of another likely better (at least for me) m43 body?

What I'm looking for is one with the newer 20 mpx sensor, like my Pen F has, though I would like something more robust this time around so something with weather sealing (I do live in the Pacific  NW where it rains a lot). I'm willing to give up the small size of the Pen F as I don't see that there's anything that small which clicks the other boxes. I'm looking at the EM1 mkII so far as that one clicks all of the boxes for me and seems to sell for less than other similar ones. Seems like I could probably get one in the 5-$600 range. I'm open to other suggestions though...

What do you think? Should I spend double (or almost that) the repair bill on my Pen F to get something a little better, that would be sturdier (and give me more piece of mind) or is it silly to spend the extra on a new piece of gear that while it may be an upgrade still isn't something that I've really been jonsing for (and just get the Pen F repaired)?

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow