Buy a 100-400 or use an extender with 70-200 f2.8IS?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Flat view
ShotByStephen New Member • Posts: 12
Buy a 100-400 or use an extender with 70-200 f2.8IS?

I have a 7D MkII, currently using a Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISM II and a Sigma 150-600 f5.6 mainly for wildlife shooting. I have a EF 24-105 f4 for shorter stuff too.

Next trip is to the Arctic and I'm not totally happy with the Sigma as it is a bit soft at full reach.

Should I stump up the bucks for a Canon 100-400 II and ditch the Sigma, or get an extender for the 70-200 and deal with the hassle of swapping it in and out? (I also have a 70D as a backup which I carry as well just in case)

I am shooting for myself so not selling them, but I would like to display the good shots on canvas or large format so the quality needs to be there.

If an extender is the choice, should it be a 1.4 or 2.0?

 ShotByStephen's gear list:ShotByStephen's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +1 more
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow