Warning to EM-1 users :sunshine into EVF can create indeletable blotches, as confirmed by Olympus.

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
rscott New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Optics

joergzielosko wrote:

rscott wrote:

Yes that is optics, but if I leave my camera on a tripod with the sun in the frame I don't end up with a burn on the sensor chip.....

You surely tested that with your camera?

You know that the sun's energy reaches the atmosphere with 1.367 kW/m² (solar constant)?

In central Europe (no we are not the sunniest place in the world!) about 700 W/m² get to the earth's surface, that is 70 mW/cm² (the eyepiece may be about 1 cm² large). 70 mW doesn't sound as high energy, but I can imagine that when focused to a very small surface (read: point), it may destroy some pixels of the 0.48 inch / 1.2 cm LCD panel within a few seconds.

Note that the front element of most lenses is considerably larger than 1 cm² (think of lenses with 72 mm filter size). You can easily calculate the energy hitting your camera's sensor, and imagine what happens when the sun is focused to a very small surface...

So I must not include the sun in any of my photos, especially time lapse where the sun traces a line across the chip?

If that were the case every camera including the millions of ccd security cameras out there would have burnt sensors.

Sorry if I sound blunt but I'm not happy this has happened and will provide followup once Olympus have repaired the camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AG
AG
AG
AG
JD1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow