X-E2 - Sensor Quality Control ??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Tony Bonanno
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
X-E2 - Sensor Quality Control ??
8 months ago

Just a heads up. I have received two X-E2 "new" bodies that had defective sensors. Both were received from Amazon. Both had what first appeared to be "dust bunnies", but after cleaning and closer inspection, the spots appear to be "embedded" in the sensor. One of the two bodies also had a scuffed/scratched area in upper right corner of the frame resulting in a very visible black mark in all files, regardless of aperture. I also own (or have owned) an X100, X-Pro1, X-E1, and X-100s and have not seen this problem before. Have a third X-E2 on order (from different vendor). And of course, I had just sold my trusty X-E1 (with a perfect sensor) :-(.

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: X-E2 - Sensor Quality Control ??
In reply to Tony Bonanno, 8 months ago

That stinks, man.  Hope you get this sorted out.  If the X-E2s continue to come in bad, you can always buy a used X-E1 body for a great price!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Just a heads up. I have received two X-E2 "new" bodies that had defective sensors. Both were received from Amazon. Both had what first appeared to be "dust bunnies", but after cleaning and closer inspection, the spots appear to be "embedded" in the sensor. One of the two bodies also had a scuffed/scratched area in upper right corner of the frame resulting in a very visible black mark in all files, regardless of aperture. I also own (or have owned) an X100, X-Pro1, X-E1, and X-100s and have not seen this problem before. Have a third X-E2 on order (from different vendor). And of course, I had just sold my trusty X-E1 (with a perfect sensor) :-(.

Only speculation on my part but the issue could very easily be with one of the extra two physical elements in front of the sensor that are not there with the X-E1.

The X-E1 is sharper than the X-E2, as would anything be with less elements in front of its photosites. If people disagree then they need to argue the point with the laws of physics.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Tony Bonanno
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 8 months ago

BillyInya wrote:

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Only speculation on my part but the issue could very easily be with one of the extra two physical elements in front of the sensor that are not there with the X-E1.

The X-E1 is sharper than the X-E2, as would anything be with less elements in front of its photosites. If people disagree then they need to argue the point with the laws of physics.

Interesting thought Billy.  I also wondered if there was something about the assembly of the new sensor that might introduce a greater risk of problems.  I couldn't believe I received two bad samples in a row !  I haven't heard of anyone else having problems though ??  Hopefully the next sample will be OK.  Should have it in a couple of days.

-- hide signature --

ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno
Like?

Checked into the Fujix-Forum and appears that others are also having X-E2 sensor issues.

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/15671-anyone-else-had-dust-on-sensor-issues-with-a-new-x-e2/?p=167836

-- hide signature --

ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,959Gear list
Like?
My X-E2 arrive 4 days ago and does not have this issue.....

Took several exposures at f16 and viewed at 100 200 400% and was good to go.

Hope you replacement works out ok for you.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Tony Bonanno
Like?
Re: My X-E2 arrive 4 days ago and does not have this issue.....
In reply to flbrit, 8 months ago

That's great news Brian !!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed !

-- hide signature --

ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

KennyXYZ
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Re: My X-E2 arrive 4 days ago and does not have this issue.....
In reply to flbrit, 8 months ago

flbrit wrote:

Took several exposures at f16 and viewed at 100 200 400% and was good to go.

Hope you replacement works out ok for you.

Brian

Ditto for me.

KennyXYZ's gear list:KennyXYZ's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

I don't get it. What do you have to gain by spreading nasty false rumors about the X-E2?

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,680Gear list
Like?

Just received my X-E2 and no problems here either.  Trouble Seems to come in pairs.  I had 2 Sigma 30mm 1.4 primes that both had to be returned to B&H.  The third was stellar.  Hang in there.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Dresdenboy
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Just a heads up. I have received two X-E2 "new" bodies that had defective sensors. Both were received from Amazon.

Can you make sure that those cameras weren't returned by former buyers? Amazon and or Fujifilm have their own ways to manage returned ware.

Dresdenboy's gear list:Dresdenboy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 +3 more
BigJ2013
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?

Unrelated to the X-E2, one of  my X-E1's had a cluster of blown pixel visible when shadows were pushed. Fuji Canada replaced the camera without any fuss. Just thought I would share.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Hopefully it's just a batch, and not a problem with the design (ala D600).

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 8 months ago

Just tested and inspected my X-E2 sensor - no problems to report here either.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Tony Bonanno wrote:

By your logic, the greater the number of elements in the lens, the less sharp the image.

Such things don't need to be argued based upon laws. They can be demonstrated -- or not, as in your case -- with evidence.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

That's why I love the "shoot without lens" option in the menus.  You wouldn't believe the sharpness.

A little birdy also told me that the X-Pro1 has a sharper sensor than the X-E1.  Hand picked by virgin Fuji elves.  Why else would they call it the Pro model?

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Tony Bonanno wrote:

By your logic, the greater the number of elements in the lens, the less sharp the image.

Such things don't need to be argued based upon laws. They can be demonstrated -- or not, as in your case -- with evidence.

The less number of elements the light has to pass through the better the quality/integrity of the light. I'm not wanting to conduct a lengthy online argument over this with the people who don't believe it. If you don't believe this then that's fine.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Corwin Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?

Can you give an example to prove your logic?

Example: Most old lens are have very less element but new lens have more element. so you mean the old lens suppose to be sharper than new lens?

Example: A person with near sighter will only see thing clearer and sharper with an additional element (which is their glasses) This example alone will prove your say is wrong.

Laws of physics say that quantity of element can reduce quantity of light but it is not sharpness.

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Tony Bonanno
Like?
In reply to Chrisd999, 8 months ago

Hundminen wrote:

Just tested and inspected my X-E2 sensor - no problems to report here either.

Glad to hear that folks are not seeing the issue.  I have my third X-E2 arriving tomorrow.  Hope it is good.  My "x" lenses are getting lonely without a body :-).

-- hide signature --

ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, 8 months ago

Plus lenses with 'coatings' are sharper, with less glare/flare than those without. Odd that, isn't it?
The theoretical world and the real world are often two different things.
--

Norman Young
www.noyo.co.uk

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads