Camera and Lens Buying Guides
On this page you'll find links to our extensive buying guide content, which spans everything from seasonal product roundups to advice about what gear is best for what kind of shooting situation. You'll also find links to our technology primer articles and our interactive camera chooser, which lets you quickly compare different models to find the right one for you.
Choose by camera type
Digital cameras come in all shapes a sizes – and prices. We’ve divided these roundups by camera type, and cost. Here, you’ll find our take on everything from pocketable compact models to high-end full-frame powerhouses.
- Interchangeable lens cameras around $500
- Interchangeable lens cameras $500–800
- Interchangeable lens cameras $800–1200
- Interchangeable lens cameras $1200–2000
- Interchangeable lens cameras $2000+
- Compact enthusiast zoom cameras
- Long zoom compact cameras
- Fixed prime lens cameras
- Best smartphone cameras
Choose by shooting needs
So you want to buy a new camera – but why? These guides let you make your selection based on the kind of photography you want to do. Perhaps you want to document your growing family, or you need a camera to take snorkeling on an upcoming vacation? We’ve got you covered.
Ideas for the Holidays
This is the time of year for gift-giving, whether it’s for a loved one, or just as a treat for yourself. In our holiday season gift guides we’ve selected some of our favorite items spanning prices from the very affordable, to the truly luxurious.
How to Buy: Technologies Explained
The technology behind digital imaging and video moves very quickly, and can be confusing. Our aim in this series of guides is to explain the difference between various types of product, and demystify some of the more complex terms. Our two-part printing primer is intended to help you take your vision from the camera, to a finished print.
Archived: 2014 Buying Guides
Need to shoot something specific? Our list of situations may help.
- Best cameras for beginners
- Best cameras for social photography
- Best compact cameras for travel
- Best waterproof cameras
- Interchangeable lens cameras under $1000
- Best compact cameras for enthusiasts
- Best digital cameras for kids
Want to know which camera to buy and why? Check out the following roundups.
- Very – I couldn't get by without one.9.5%
- Somewhat – It's nice to have but not a deal-breaker.31.0%
- Neither important or unimportant – I can take it or leave it.31.6%
- Not important at all – in fact I dislike touchscreens on cameras.27.8%
|Cat sleeping by gordzam|
from Your City - Urban Cats and Dogs
|Never Alone by Moon0326|
from My Best Photo of the Week
|Mechanical watch by Okapi001|
from Macro - Small Machinery