Review: Nikon V1+FT1 VS Nikon D7000 for Sports

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
tharealmb
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Review: Nikon V1+FT1 VS Nikon D7000 for Sports
10 months ago

This weekend i tested my new Nikon V1 and tested if it held up against my Nikon D7000 for action.

Ofcourse i know the standard kit lens is no match for a beast like the AF-S 80-200mm F2.8, so i decided to use the 80-200 F2.8 for both camera's using the FT1 adapter, and here are the results:

D7000, 1/500, ISO 800, F2.8, -0.7EV

D7000, 1/500, ISO 800, F2.8, -0.7EV

Both D7000 shots are slightly underexposed with -0.7EV, because the D7000 tends to blow out the whites if you don't.

V1, 1/640, ISO 720, F2.8

V1, 1/640, ISO 800, F2.8

V1, 1/320, ISO 640m F2.8

About these images: The D7000 was shot with a match on real grass, hence the greener grass. The V1 shot a match on Artificial grass. Both render the color of the grass correctly. I will make another test soon of the same match.

Both tests were done with the same weather (very clouded/dark) both between 3 and 4 PM on the same day.

All images were RAW files, loaded into Lightroom and unprocessed. No sharpening or noise reduction was done. And no color correction either. So both will normally be sharper and prettier. But when comparing i like to use the raw results which i can use to tweak (i always shoot raw, since having an awesome shot of me and my girlfriend in a Gondola in Venice being ruined by the gondolier who turned the mode dail, leading to an overexposed shot which could have been saved if it wasn't for JPG basic, small)

Same settings for both camera's turned out about the same under the same conditions. The ISO, Shutter and Aperture were about the same. So you don't lose any light when working with the smaller camera. A big misunderstanding is that larger sensors capture more light, but this is not shown in the settings. for a perfect explanation on this there are a lot of resources on this which i won't go in deeply here.

So my findings between the 2 cameras? Let's start with what is the same, and follow with what is different. This is only based on the test i did with the pictures above. Both camera's were set to Continuous autofocus (3D focus for the D7000) and to shutter priority.

ISO:
The ISO performance up to ISO 800 seems to be about the same. At base ISO the Nikon 1 has more noise, but if this is a bad things depends on its use. It's "Film like grain" so in normal prints you can't be bothered by this. Up to ISO 800 i think both are good. ISO 1600 is usable. The Nikon D7000 is a tad better, but just slightly and i think in normal use not noticable.

Autofocus:
Autofocus on both the Nikon D7000 and Nikon V1 is excellent. It's fast and snappy, especially with the Nikon AF-S 80-200mm lenses. For other lenses there might be a difference ofcourse, but the Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 is one of the fastest focusing lenses available. And this is shown on both systems. I'm not able to find which one is faster in focussing. The Nikon V1 does seem to focus in much quicker intervals, but this is probably because the 80-200 on the V1 is actually a 216-540. So things get out-of-focus much faster. So that is a tie.

Buffer and FPS:
The Nikon V1 has some advantages over the D7000. The V1 has 10 FPS with autofocus, and the D7000 has 6 FPS. Besides that the V1 has a bigger buffer then the D7000 and that is a big difference. the V1 has a buffer of ~35 images @ 10 FPS, against the ~10 images @ 6 FPS. The V1 is allmost twice as fast, and is able to keep shooting twice as long. Thats impressive in my books. The V1 is a clear victor here

Raw:
Well, there is not much to say here. It's 12 bit VS 14 bit here. So the Nikon D7000 wins this round.

Actual use:
So it might seem the Nikon D7000 is going to stay at home from now on? well... no thats not the case. Because there is one major flaw with the Nikon V1. After every shot, and during every burst, you get to see the image you just took. That way during a burst you have no way of telling if your subject is still moving in the right direction. To add to this, after your shot it stays there for about a second. A second that is lost, after which if the subject has moved you'll miss the shot. I allready sent a feature request to nikon about this. The V2 does not have this problem, because you can switch the Image preview OFF. This seems like a simple firmware update, but nikon seems to refuse to add this to the Nikon V1. Making it more painfull to use.

Conclusion:
I'll probably use the V1 for sports anyway, just for the added reach (with the nikon V1 i can shoot players across the field, about 90 to 100 meters, and get the players fully into frame) as with the DX Nikon D7000 i can only get usable shots on one half of the field. If you double the focal lenght, thats like a quarter of an image you'll get. But the D7000 still has some extra's i wouldn't want to miss. And that is the 14 bit raw which is nice, and an optical viewfinder which does not show me the last image taken.

So it will stay for sports.... but it's a close call for the Nikon D7000

About this review: These are my findings and opinions as an amateur photographer. I don't make any money with these pictures (yet, this might change in the near future). If you have different thought on this topic please share them with us. I will update this post with other information i find in testingthe V1 against the D7000.

TO DO FOR ME:
Do another comparison, in better weather using faster shutter speeds and a monopod. Also use a smaller aperture.
Shoot the same match under the same conditions.

Any tests you come up with.

tharealmb's gear list:tharealmb's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Miskec
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?
Re: Review: Nikon V1+FT1 VS Nikon D7000 for Sports
In reply to tharealmb, 10 months ago

tharealmb wrote:

This weekend i tested my new Nikon V1 and tested if it held up against my Nikon D7000 for action.

Thanks for the comparison. As a V1 owner I am really iimpressed to see how well it holds up against the DSLR. The difference in ISO is almost neglieable, which is impressive.

I for myself won't be buying the FT1, only nikkor 30-110 in order to get telephoto when I need it, keeping the equipment size minimal.

Best

Neven

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tharealmb
Like?
In reply to Miskec, 10 months ago

Miskec wrote

Thanks for the comparison. As a V1 owner I am really iimpressed to see how well it holds up against the DSLR. The difference in ISO is almost neglieable, which is impressive.

I for myself won't be buying the FT1, only nikkor 30-110 in order to get telephoto when I need it, keeping the equipment size minimal.

Best

Neven

Wise choice. If i learned one thing, is that better and bigger equipment don't mean better pictures. Just more ease of use in some cases. F2.8 was really neccesary though, which i was surprised by actually. And for the price the Nikkor 30-110 can't be beat!

Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393
Like?

Thanks for your effort !

It makes for an interesting read. I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised, I thought that the D7000 would outperform the V1 on just about all counts except for buffer depth.

It just goes to show, a couple of relatively minor updates and tweaks, plus a more up-to-date sensor, and the V1 will surprise (and shock) many DSLR shooters !

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

nigelht
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miskec, 10 months ago

Miskec wrote:

I use the 30-110 for soccer but there's not enough reach and on a cloudy day like above it's a bit too slow as well.

At the 110mm you're not getting the same kind of shot he's getting but one at 5.6 and not at 1/500 either.

I had a hard time with getting focus lock at times as well as it was a late game and cloudy to boot this last weekend.

nigelht
Like?

tharealmb wrote:

Autofocus:

Autofocus on both the Nikon D7000 and Nikon V1 is excellent. It's fast and snappy, especially with the Nikon AF-S 80-200mm lenses. For other lenses there might be a difference ofcourse, but the Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 is one of the fastest focusing lenses available. And this is shown on both systems. I'm not able to find which one is faster in focussing. The Nikon V1 does seem to focus in much quicker intervals, but this is probably because the 80-200 on the V1 is actually a 216-540. So things get out-of-focus much faster. So that is a tie.

I guess in this case center focus point is not an issue.

I had problems when it was getting toward dusk on a cloudy day.  Kid soccer fields rarely have lights.

So it might seem the Nikon D7000 is going to stay at home from now on? well... no thats not the case. Because there is one major flaw with the Nikon V1. After every shot, and during every burst, you get to see the image you just took. That way during a burst you have no way of telling if your subject is still moving in the right direction.

This is the most annoying thing about the V1.  I'm kinda used to half-shutter press and I shoot burst instead of single so it's somewhat less annoying.

I'd like to add to your todo list.  Ever shoot in an indoor soccer dome?

nigelht
Like?

Wait, are you getting AF-C with this lens?  I thought that only worked on AF-S lenses or does it also work on the AF lenses?

Miskec
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?
In reply to nigelht, 10 months ago

nigelht wrote:

Miskec wrote:

I use the 30-110 for soccer but there's not enough reach and on a cloudy day like above it's a bit too slow as well.

At the 110mm you're not getting the same kind of shot he's getting but one at 5.6 and not at 1/500 either.

I had a hard time with getting focus lock at times as well as it was a late game and cloudy to boot this last weekend.

Hear me out. At present time, I have only 10-30 at my disposal, so 81 mm is my max telephoto

So, I will not bitch about 297 mm, no matter how it would affect the ISO, focus or shutter speed.

Best

Neven

Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. Finally someone who takes pictures of something other than brick walls and posts reviews of real world use

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?

An interesting comparison for sure. Thanks for sharing.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, 10 months ago

JacquesC wrote:

Thanks for your effort !

It makes for an interesting read. I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised, I thought that the D7000 would outperform the V1 on just about all counts except for buffer depth.

It just goes to show, a couple of relatively minor updates and tweaks, plus a more up-to-date sensor, and the V1 will surprise (and shock) many DSLR shooters !

Exactly! That's what I hope will come with a V3! My V1 has definitely superceded my APS-C cameras, but in low light the D600 is still the master, by a wide margin!

I dream about something along the lines of the E-M1, but with a CX sensor (or slightly bigger - there is room for one slightly bigger — look at NEX (DX) turning into A7 (FX)!).

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
tharealmb
Like?
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, 10 months ago

Thanks for all the reactions! first days i got none... so i thought i'd check in less... Bad idea!

My Nikon 80-200 IS an AF-S lens. So the AF lenses will not do continuous focus (or focus at all)
There is also an 80-200mm lens thats AF (2 actually) but there is a third which has AF-S and is discontinued.

I haven't shot indoor soccer yet, but i'll try to find an occasion to use it during indoor sports. Although i'm afraid the 80-200mm might be too much. But i'll just use a different lens (like the 17-50mm f2.8).

This weekend im gonna walk in the forest with a "dog" (its small, so i don't think its a dog...) and i'll compare shots from the 17-50mm F2.8 + D7000 with the Nikon V1 + kitlens. And ofcourse compare the different camera's with the same lens.

i also sent an email to Nikon about the V1 and the image review option.... it's very annoying, they CAN turn it of and they should let us choose to... They did forward it but not much hope. So if you have a V1 and want this too, send an email to your support. If we make enough noise.... something might happen there.

For my todo list... Soccer Dome? you mean an indoor hall? or a large match?

breivogel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to wolfd, 10 months ago

I find the relative lack of noise in the V1 photos rather mystifying. Especially as you say that you converted from RAW with NO noise reduction. I would would expect there to be a noticeable color noise at the very least - but it appears to be totally absent.  My V2 at ISO 800 under cloudy conditions definitely shows noticeable color blotches without any NR.

breivogel's gear list:breivogel's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +5 more
WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to breivogel, 10 months ago

breivogel wrote:

I find the relative lack of noise in the V1 photos rather mystifying. Especially as you say that you converted from RAW with NO noise reduction. I would would expect there to be a noticeable color noise at the very least - but it appears to be totally absent. My V2 at ISO 800 under cloudy conditions definitely shows noticeable color blotches without any NR.

I have several questions as well.

What program did you use for RAW conversion?

Is "High ISO NR set 'ON' or 'OFF' in your V1 menu?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Warren

Maarten
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to breivogel, 10 months ago

breivogel wrote:

I find the relative lack of noise in the V1 photos rather mystifying. Especially as you say that you converted from RAW with NO noise reduction. I would would expect there to be a noticeable color noise at the very least - but it appears to be totally absent. My V2 at ISO 800 under cloudy conditions definitely shows noticeable color blotches without any NR.

I concur completely. Look at the black shorts at ISO 800: I do not believe these are V1 shots. Mine does not have blacks this clean at base ISO, let alone ISO 800 without NR.

tharealmb
Like?
In reply to Maarten, 10 months ago

I'll re-convert the raw images using a different program, that does not do anything to the image. And re-upload them. But i'm sure in Lightroom there was no reduction of noise done.

And even if, most people use lightroom right? but i'll make sure i'll reconvert them (if anyone knows a program that does not do any corrections feel free to reply) and upload them again. And i'll upload one ore two raw images too so you can see for yourself.

I just saw you talked about the BLACK SHORTS... those are taken with the D7000 as described under the images.....

Maarten
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

You're right, I was not paying attention. I looked at the D7000 pics instead of the V1. Still the V1 looks so clean, that is free from color noise. I shoot a D7000 and a V1 myself, and I wish I can get the same quality from my V1. Look forward to the follow up.

Do your EN-EL15s stay fresh/young in the V1? My second battery also ages prematurely when viewed under Battery Information in the menu.

Regards, Maarten

Werner Gansz
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
In reply to Maarten, 10 months ago

Maarten wrote:

You're right, I was not paying attention. I looked at the D7000 pics instead of the V1. Still the V1 looks so clean, that is free from color noise. I shoot a D7000 and a V1 myself, and I wish I can get the same quality from my V1. Look forward to the follow up.

Do your EN-EL15s stay fresh/young in the V1? My second battery also ages prematurely when viewed under Battery Information in the menu.

Regards, Maarten

Lightroom applies color noise reduction of 25 by default.  That is very strong, much too strong.  My input preset for the V1 is 10, which is where it stays for ISO 100- 200.

This is a very interesting comparison.  I was about to give up on the idea of getting an FT-1 based on the results of some fair weather shooting that I did on my first outing with my new-to-me V1 with the 10-30.  I posted about them yesterday.  The shadow noise even at base ISO was discouraging.  I had to do a lot of averaging to bring out shadow detail in high contrast scenes, something that you can't do if the subject is moving.

I don't doubt that the tracking works well in the V1 so my interest is in comparing IQ of the V1/FT-1/DSLR lens vs my D7000 cropped by 1.8.  I think I can compare my 10-24 @10 on the D7000 vs the 10-30 @ 18 on the V1 at different ISO's.  The OP's comment about film grain not being objectionable is not universally shared, I hated film grain even when I shot film.  If you are shooting furry or feathery animals, noise/grain is not helpful.

-- hide signature --
tharealmb
Like?
In reply to Werner Gansz, 10 months ago

haven't been able to make some new shots, but i will soon don't worry all.

and i know lightroom always applies noise reduction at a standard of 25, so i turned that to 0, same with sharpening and any other corrections that lightroom tries to do itself. Thats why it's pretty safe to say these are not processed.

And ofcourse for some objects noise is definitely not preferable. The question is: will you notice it on print, or only on 100% on a monitor? i personally don't mind. even stronger:

i have a picture on my wall, measuring 100cm x 150cm. Everyone thinks it looks awesome and sharp, because the DOF is pretty small (80-200mm F2.8 @ 200mm F4). But because the settings were wrong (someone else took it before me having the chance to reset) it was shot at 4MP. Yes if you look close you can definitely see ofcourse. But when watching it when sitting in the room, you'd never notice because its so damn big.

So ask yourself: when used (i print the best pictures in a photo album, or print) will you see difference. And second: what shot would you have gotten with your DSLR @ 300MM, or on your Nikon 1 with 540? i think i can guess which has more detail....

but i won't guess! i'll try to shoot a bird for you, with both setups! same distance to the bird. same camera settings and same ISO (and i'll do different ISO settings)

that way anyone can choose for themselves. The problem is what you said. What works for one, does not work for someone else. Thats why i made the first post and review in the first place.

Personally i am learning more and more that the images is made or broken by composition, not by Noise/Resolution/Sensor-size. For pro's this is ofcourse a very different cup of tea. But there are not a lot of images that i think: Wow this shot is amazing! but that noise! Artists and viewers don't care too much about noise. Heck my family/parents/friends don't even know what noise is untill i point it out. As long as it's not ISO 12800 with bright colored noise, they don't care.

i have seen a lot of images that i think: Wow how uninteresting shot, but it's noise-free! and that last one is what geeks love...

KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the comparison, I enjoyed and appreciated your efforts.  Likewise I did some soccer-shooting when the AF-C update came out, and they were quite good even though I was only using the 70-300VR which is a slower lens but has killer reach.

Let's hope that 1-System patent for a native 70-300VR with ED and fluorite glass comes to fruition!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads