My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions
Edmond Terakopian
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
Sep 11, 2013

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for the posting, Nice images.

I am really looking forward to testing out this camera, especially with regard to follow focusing with sports.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,029Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Many thanks for posting the link.  I enjoyed looking at the photos.  What firmware was the camera using and what are your initial impressions.

I should be able to get my hands on the E-M1 in a week for a few hours.  My guess is that I will got be allowed to post photos from it but should be able to post photos of the camera itself.  The Oly Rep still doesn't have the 12-40 lens yet.

Dave

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kwick1
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Most of the test shots I've seen have been just that - test shots.  It's nice to see actual "good photos" taken with the camera.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX1R Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,736Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Hey, you could not take these shots  at Olympus press event. How can I trust you? What about credibility?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

That must have been a press event with real class given the wide variety of photo ops shown in your pix.  Well Done!

 bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

First I have been a long time Oly camera user. Check my equipment profile to see all the Oly cams and glass I still have, including the E-3.

I finally tired of the inattention by Oly to bringing out a higher res and higher DR product and was not interested in micro 4/3.

Jumped ship to Nikon and the D800 with much pain looking at the shelf with all my E-1 and E-3 as well as good Oly glass unused. Instead I purchased several thousands of dollars of good Nikon glass. Ouch!

For quick snaps bought the Nikon 1 V2 (I know) and an adapter to use my Nikon FX glass as well as a couple of the better optics for the V2.

So, I am quite experienced seeing quite sharp and high DR photos as well as some not as good.

Seeing the new EM-1 excited me to find a camera that would finally use the Oly glass I have and would be smaller than the D800 and higher picture quality than the N1 V2. Took a look at the images available on line and am quite disappointed. My experience with the V2 with the 18.5 f/1.8 lens is that it can take as good IQ photos as the new EM-1. Well maybe with less DR.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I could use some encouragement to become interested in the EM-1 again.

-- hide signature --

Just a very serious amateur for over 55 years.

 digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edmond Terakopian
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to DLBlack, Sep 11, 2013

I was really very impressed with the camera; will be doing a blog review some time soon. No idea on the firmware, but it was a final release.

DLBlack wrote:

Many thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed looking at the photos. What firmware was the camera using and what are your initial impressions.

I should be able to get my hands on the E-M1 in a week for a few hours. My guess is that I will got be allowed to post photos from it but should be able to post photos of the camera itself. The Oly Rep still doesn't have the 12-40 lens yet.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edmond Terakopian
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Kwick1, Sep 11, 2013

Many thanks

Kwick1 wrote:

Most of the test shots I've seen have been just that - test shots. It's nice to see actual "good photos" taken with the camera.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edmond Terakopian
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to bgalb, Sep 11, 2013

Cheers

bgalb wrote:

That must have been a press event with real class given the wide variety of photo ops shown in your pix. Well Done!

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elix
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to digital ed, Sep 11, 2013

digital ed wrote:

Seeing the new EM-1 excited me to find a camera that would finally use the Oly glass I have and would be smaller than the D800 and higher picture quality than the N1 V2. Took a look at the images available on line and am quite disappointed. My experience with the V2 with the 18.5 f/1.8 lens is that it can take as good IQ photos as the new EM-1. Well maybe with less DR.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I could use some encouragement to become interested in the EM-1 again.

Naah, is not worth it. It's a bad camera, ask any Internet expert. Pack that Oly glass you got and I will help you dispose of it properly. I'll send the shipping address separately.

 Elix's gear list:Elix's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
khaw
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 11, 2013

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Edmond,

Thanks.  Very interesting.  I believe you also shoot Leica gear.

For which kind of photography is the Leica best, and for which kind the E-M1?

Thanks, K-H.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Domagoj Batinic
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to s_grins, Sep 11, 2013

s_grins wrote:

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Hey, you could not take these shots at Olympus press event. How can I trust you? What about credibility?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

not all press events are in small office like venues, if he claims that this press event was at the Castle Leslie in Ireland, who are you to question that?

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

 Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus D-620L Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-550 UZ Olympus SP-560 UZ +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,736Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Domagoj Batinic, Sep 11, 2013

Domagoj Batinic wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Hey, you could not take these shots at Olympus press event. How can I trust you? What about credibility?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

not all press events are in small office like venues, if he claims that this press event was at the Castle Leslie in Ireland, who are you to question that?

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

I'm who I am, and I have all rights to ask, and he has all rights to answer. And you do not have any rights here.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,806Gear list
Like?
What was your impression of the 12-40 lens?
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 12, 2013

Thanks for sharing these - very impressed.

I have no current plans to get the EM1 (just got the EP5) but have already pre-ordered the 12-40 to replace my 12-50 (and perhaps the 17mm 1.8) lens. What was your impressions of it? Is it as good as the early reports?

Thanks again. Steve

 Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paco 316
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 12, 2013

It is always refreshing to see good photography on this forum. Thank you Edmond for sharing with these wonderful images. Looking forward to read your blog about your experience with this new and exciting machine.

Good shooting!

 Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 12, 2013

Beautiful photos - obviously the camera works well.  How did it feel vis-à-vis the ergonomics, especially compared with the E-M5?

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

 jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to s_grins, Sep 12, 2013

s_grins wrote:

Domagoj Batinic wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Hey, you could not take these shots at Olympus press event. How can I trust you? What about credibility?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

not all press events are in small office like venues, if he claims that this press event was at the Castle Leslie in Ireland, who are you to question that?

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

I'm who I am, and I have all rights to ask, and he has all rights to answer. And you do not have any rights here.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

Admittedly I'm not an expert on Flickr and whether its even possible to fake a camera model used, but the camera model used is tagged as the E-M1 on the mages.

 JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,736Gear list
Like?
Re: My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!
In reply to JYPfoto, Sep 12, 2013

JYPfoto wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Domagoj Batinic wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Edmond Terakopian wrote:

Greetings Folks,

Spent half a day shooting with the EM-1 and also new 12-40mm f2.8 lens at an Olympus press event.

Here are some of the shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Cheers,

Edmond

-- hide signature --

Edmond Terakopian
www.pix.org.uk
http://photothisandthat.co.uk
http://www.teravision.eu/
Twitter: @terakopian

Hey, you could not take these shots at Olympus press event. How can I trust you? What about credibility?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

not all press events are in small office like venues, if he claims that this press event was at the Castle Leslie in Ireland, who are you to question that?

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

I'm who I am, and I have all rights to ask, and he has all rights to answer. And you do not have any rights here.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

Admittedly I'm not an expert on Flickr and whether its even possible to fake a camera model used, but the camera model used is tagged as the E-M1 on the mages.

The same camera, but not the same day...and the same place...

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boris Fincheltub
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
S grins this one is for you
In reply to s_grins, Sep 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZE4YPAwHtA

dont judge people as per you self

this video says it all!!

Boris

 boris Fincheltub's gear list:boris Fincheltub's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads