Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 DIY filter holder (In progress)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 DIY filter holder (In progress)
8 months ago

I decided to build a filter holder for Lee 150 system. I don't have the 150x150mm ND or 150x170mm grads yet so the filter is in progress. I used 3/4 MDF because I figured it might be more dimensionally stable than wood, and I have tons laying 'round.

Here are my drawings

I screwed the work to a piece of scrap to enable cutting thru the work and to help stabilize the work to the table. Using a router, I cut the centre hole and thin the sides to minimize weight.

Here is it separated.

At this point, the dimensions are larger than the final size. Once I make the rails to hold the filters, i'll cut off the excess. Now the moment of truth.........

Perfect fit! I really lucked out! Just the right amount of friction to keep it from spinning. Too tight is better than too loose. I can always sand it bigger.

MDF is pretty easily damaged by water so once it's done, I will paint a sealer over it, followed by matte black paint. But next up, I will order a couple filter and get the rails made.

Stay tuned!

john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 DIY filter holder (In progress)
In reply to Bing Chow, 8 months ago

Beautiful engineered. But are you sure that you won't be blocking light that should be getting to the lens.  though that the cut aways in the hood were to prevent corner darkening

I hope I'm wrong

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bing Chow
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, 8 months ago

Thank you John. Yes, there is currently obstruction at 14mm. I can slide the holder further up the lens collar and cut out the appropriate areas. Back to work..........

GaryThorpe
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to Bing Chow, 7 months ago

Very nice work and good thinking. Looking forward to see how the finished article works out for you.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457Gear list
Like?

I have used melted down bread ties and machined out parts from plastic blank instead of using MDF

Bottle caps work good too

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
wisep01
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

Very nice. Reminds me of the time I made my own panoramic tripod head out of wood. Of course, it was a rather crude, imprecise attempt (unlike yours). There's just something sublime about using what one creates with one's own hands.

Perhaps of minor importance, how much do you reckon you will save money-wise by this DIY approach?

SpaceDoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?

Great work, and thanks for sharing this with us!

SpaceWork

Bing Chow
Like?
In reply to wisep01, 7 months ago

The SW150 kit is $400. But it does include a filter worth about $130. So I save $270. But it does allow me to use it on other lenses with the appropriate adapter. Whereas I would have to get creative with my holder to allow me to use it for my 24-120 f4 and 70-200f4.

If one has no interest in a 0.6 (2 stop) ND hard grad, than the DIY saves $400.

rcower
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
In reply to GaryThorpe, 7 months ago

beautiful piece of work.

Bing Chow
Like?
Update #1

So taking John's advice into consideration, I enlarged the opening to slide the holder further down the lens collar. Now, there is no obstruction all all focal lengths!

Time to make the rails. I have tons of maple hardwood flooring left over so that's what I used. A dado blade was used to cut the slot to match thickness of the holder. The slots for the filters I just cut with a thin kerf table saw blade, using multiple passes to fine tune width and depth. Rounded edges on the router.

I can't see me using more than 2 filters at once.

tightening screw for the filters. One per slot.

tightening screw close up. Oops! burn mark!

I sanded the end of those screws so they won't scratch the filters.

didn't glue it yet.

I have a Lee 4"x6" soft grad set. The long edge is 150mm, which should be the same as the SW150 filters. Lee is a reputable company so I trust their QC. I put a filter in horizontally just for sizing anf for pics.

So here it is for now. I've seen some people build custom baffles to extend the holder to prevent light from entering from the back. So, I figured I will leave the holder shape rectangular. Thanks for everybody's kind words and keep the critique coming!

Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Photo #2 your wood grain is going in the wrong direction and it would take

Very little effort to break.

Nice design and idea btw cheers.

Bing Chow
Like?
Re: Photo #2 your wood grain is going in the wrong direction and it would take
In reply to Apewithacamera, 7 months ago

That's one thing I never learn how to do: read the grain and orientate the work to take advantage of it. Good thing this isn't a high stress application.

Ideally, for this purpose, which way would you want the grain to run?

Apewithacamera
Like?
For strength the grain should run the length of those side pieces not through their width.

Bing Chow wrote:

That's one thing I never learn how to do: read the grain and orientate the work to take advantage of it. Good thing this isn't a high stress application.

If your maple flooring grain pattern is all same, you may have to go and get some maple where the grain direction for strength is opposite what you have there.

You have a nice design on the go there but if your filter holder got dropped on those sides, they'd be prone to breaking.

I have done a bit of wood working myself and grain direction for strength I learned early on.

Regards

Apewithacamera
Like?
Just to clarify with a photo.

With the router and dado blade work you are doing the wood grain should be like this for max strength.

This is strong.

Apewithacamera
Like?
Re: Just to clarify with a photo.

Apewithacamera wrote:

With the router and dado blade work you are doing the wood grain should be like this for max strength.

This is strong.

Weak

lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Re: For strength the grain should run the length of those side pieces not through their width.

Apewithacamera wrote:

Bing Chow wrote:

If your maple flooring grain pattern is all same, you may have to go and get some maple where the grain direction for strength is opposite what you have there.

You have a nice design on the go there but if your filter holder got dropped on those sides, they'd be prone to breaking.

I have done a bit of wood working myself and grain direction for strength I learned early on.

Regards

I believe he is using MDF (medium density fibreboard) there is no grain.It's compressed dust.

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Bing Chow
Like?
MDF for the base, maple for the sides.
In reply to lickity split, 7 months ago

I suppose I could have used MDF for the sides as well.

Bing Chow
Like?
Re: Just to clarify with a photo.

Thanks! I get it. (i think)

Apewithacamera
Like?
I might try a project like yours in the near future. :)
No text.
lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
I thought....

My bad, I thought it was milled out of one piece of MDF....  It's lookin good.. :))

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads