Is anyone interested in a “Photo of the Week” thread for this forum?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936
Like?
Is anyone interested in a “Photo of the Week” thread for this forum?
Apr 27, 2013

Hi all:

I have an idea for the forum that I think might be fun for some of the members and hopefully make a positive contribution to the community. Since Mako is the Moderator of this forum I’ve run it by him to get his opinion and he likes it. My next step is to share it with you, the group, to gauge the level of interest. Please make your opinions known with a comment and if you would like to see such a thread on this forum please indicate this by clicking the “Like” button on this original post.

Here’s the idea:

I would be interested in starting and would be willing to oversee a weekly thread called "My Best Photo of the Week." The intent would be to get people out there taking photos on a weekly basis and sharing their single best shot of that week with the rest of us.

The rules would be few and simple:

1. The photo should be our best photo taken that week, not a selection of our best images from our archives accumulated over the years. This hopefully will encourage people to be actively out there taking photos on a regular basis.

2. The photos must be taken by a camera that is included in the forums list of cameras: D40-90, D3000-7100.

3. The category can be anything: landscapes, macros, sports, portraits, kids, events, wildlife, cityscapes, abstract... you name it, if it moved you we'd like to see it.

4. The responses and comments should be of a positive and encouraging nature where we tell the poster what we liked about their image and what grabbed us. The thread is not intended to be a place for critiquing the images or discussing technique or equipment, if the poster wants constructive criticism on an image he/she can post them in a separate thread and ask for this kind of feedback. I believe that there are a number of folks who out there who would be happy to share some images but are afraid to do so for fear of getting criticized, especially by some of the more blunt members of the forum.

5. We would vote on the posted images by pressing the "Like" button beside the 3 images we like the best in each weekly thread. We would be allowed 3 votes per week and the image with the most votes would be recognized as "The Photo of the Week," with 2nd and 3rd place going to the other two with the most votes.

I would be willing to start a new thread at 12:00 noon each Friday (Ottawa time) and take responsibility for encouraging folks to stay within the guidelines.

Hopefully, this weekly thread would encourage a lot of people who are not gear-heads or super-skilled photographers, or just shy, to get involved with the forum as well as motivating the more qualified photographers to up their game on an on-going basis.

Anyways, I think you get the general idea. What do you think?

Cheers,

Rudy

Nikon D3000 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395
Like?
Re: Is anyone interested in a “Photo of the Week” thread for this forum?
In reply to RudyPohl, Apr 27, 2013

Yes

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
Like?
In reply to engbert, Apr 27, 2013

engbert wrote:

Yes

Great! Don't forget to click the "Like" button.

Thanks, Rudy

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,037Gear list
Like?

Not a bad idea, having own (Nikon DX forum) photo of the week "showcase". I don't think it should be a competition of any sort, just "here it is folks, hope you like it". I usually follow the challenge, rarely to participate but find it inspirational to look for something that would fit in it. Sometimes, due to time constraints and day-to-day commitments I may not find time to do it within the challenge time-frame.

As an example, today taken is this cottage (up in the Blue Mountains of NSW, while picking chestnuts (yes, Autumn is here, people). Hope you enjoy it.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
RudyPohl
Like?
In reply to ZorSy, Apr 27, 2013

ZorSy wrote:

Not a bad idea, having own (Nikon DX forum) photo of the week "showcase". I don't think it should be a competition of any sort, just "here it is folks, hope you like it". I usually follow the challenge, rarely to participate but find it inspirational to look for something that would fit in it. Sometimes, due to time constraints and day-to-day commitments I may not find time to do it within the challenge time-frame.

As an example, today taken is this cottage (up in the Blue Mountains of NSW, while picking chestnuts (yes, Autumn is here, people). Hope you enjoy it.

I do enjoy it.., it's a really delightful image and just makes me want to be there. Thanks for sharing.

If you want to see a thread as described above don't forget to click the "Like" button.

Rudy

labe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,801Gear list
Like?
Great idea..

Im new to the nikon forum and its a great idea. Cheers Paul UK

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,610Gear list
Like?

If there is some sort of guarantee that Deepak does not win the 'Photo of the Week' every week, I am all in.  The voting part does not seem so important to me.  What is your reasoning behind turning such a sharing thread into a contest?  I might get discouraged after Deepak gets 89 likes and I get only 1--from my mother.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
RudyPohl
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Apr 27, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

If there is some sort of guarantee that Deepak does not win the 'Photo of the Week' every week, I am all in.  The voting part does not seem so important to me.  What is your reasoning behind turning such a sharing thread into a contest?  I might get discouraged after Deepak gets 89 likes and I get only 1--from my mother.

-- hide signature --

Ha ha, that's funny Brev! But seriously, in answer to your question I can only speak for myself in this and for me personally I'm actually not that keen on having simply a "sharing your photos" thread for it's own sake. While sharing is important, my interest lies not only in sharing our photos but also in challenging myself and others to keep improving our photography skills, our creative imagination, our artistic presentation, our abilities to see mundane scenes and subjects in new and radical ways... stuff like that.

Having been an active participant in forum life for a few years now, both with my video cameras and my Panasonic F200, I have tried to glean from this what kind of "challenges" work and for whom. I'm hoping that the model I'm suggestion above can work well.

Thanks for asking,

Oh yes, as far as the same person winning each week, because the category is unlimited I doubt that the same person producing the same genre of photos all the time will win each week. (Also, I didn't tell you about my secret rule.... once the same person wins 5 times he/she gets banned for life!!! ... just kidding

Rudy

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,610Gear list
Like?

Thanks for your explanation. At least we can exclude those pesky full frame shooters.
--

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,442
Like?
I agree

RudyPohl wrote:

While sharing is important, my interest lies not only in sharing our photos but also in challenging myself and others to keep improving our photography skills, our creative imagination, our artistic presentation, our abilities to see mundane scenes and subjects in new and radical ways... stuff like that.

I agree 100%. Sharing is wonderful but the challenges motivate me to do better than before. I get more out of the mild competitive nature they foster in terms of personal improvement.  And it's fun.  I'll be motivated to enter a well run friendly contest among friends. Less motivated to simply share a pic as a bit of the fun factor is missing. That's why folks like games that provide a sense of winning. No one would watch football if we didn't keep score. Just Human nature...it is what it is.

Enjoy and thanks much for taking the time.

Thanks for asking,

Oh yes, as far as the same person winning each week, because the category is unlimited I doubt that the same person producing the same genre of photos all the time will win each week. (Also, I didn't tell you about my secret rule.... once the same person wins 5 times he/she gets banned for life!!! ... just kidding

Rudy

Enjoy and thanks much for taking the time.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,442
Like?
Phone
In reply to Brev00, Apr 27, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

Thanks for your explanation. At least we can exclude those pesky full frame shooters.
--

I'm just glad the smartphone happysnappers will be kept behind the fence

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,755
Like?
So long as ...

The forum does not turn into a photography one and stop being for gearheads it might be alright.

David

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,862Gear list
Like?

My Heavens, Rudy, what a sensible idea for a photography forum, even a gear forum.  The flurry of new and talented contributors here with the intro of the D7100 has been wonderful, with excellent images in new areas of the pasttime demonstrating what is readily achievable with a little practice and a  good eye.  It might even make me try to see new opportunities in my very familiar old haunts instead of waiting for the frission of a new destination to provoke a shutter click.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
DEEWUN
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Apr 27, 2013

Good idea, Rudy. I think it will get the emphasis off strictly "gear" topics and onto Photography. There is value in photographers sharing information on techniques and post processing procedures. I think it will be a valuable tool to raise the standard of our efforts.

fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336Gear list
Like?

Hi Rudy,

I just clicked on the like button!

I would take part as Long as I had a photo that I liked enough myself for that particular week.

I love getting postive comments or a "like", but I also don't mind getting negative Feedback or tips on how a particular shot could have been improved. That's how we learn and get better.

"Judging" here would be a bit difficult of course with such a wide range of subjects, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

This would give the Forum a bit of balance to cater for those interested in the creative use of Technology.

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
BijithNikonP510
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Re: I agree
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 27, 2013

Gr8 idea !! Lets do it !

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?

Interesting idea...sounds good to get people out and shooting...I do see a wave of cutesy kid pictures being a majority of the likes though. Although one of the nice thing about other forums that do this is how they open it up to all brands of cameras. It gives the ability to see how other manufacturers handle situations.

Sorry Brev...I do have more than just FF...you're not going to get rid of me that quick. I might even just go out and buy a D7000 just to be a thorn.

-- hide signature --

Excitable Boy

BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Great idea..
In reply to labe, Apr 27, 2013

labe wrote:

Im new to the nikon forum and its a great idea. Cheers Paul UK

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

You are cheating, Labe - nothing can be compared to her

BirgerH

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,797
Like?
Re: Great idea..
In reply to BirgerH, Apr 27, 2013

I think its a good idea. It should get the focus back on photographs

Personally I wouldn't have the "likes" voting system. I don't think it will put me off, but it might deter some. I think its best if we encourage lots of people to post photos. I wouldn't want people to not post a photo because they think its not good enough and they'll feel that they failed if they got no likes. Oh and won't the winner always be an early poster, as the longer the photo is up the more likely it is to get a vote?? Or will we only allow likes after the end of the week, when people have stopped posting?

Are we going to allow/ encourage commenting?

Do people just post the photo or text as well?

Oh and I would allow any camera. What if your best photo of the week was on your phone or a compact?

But I'll happily participate in what ever is preferred collectively

Here is one from yesterday.

azma
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?

i will give it a shot:-)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads