Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?
Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200
Apr 3, 2013

I kept wondering why the EM5 had slower shutter speeds than normal, so I jumped on the band wagon that Olympus was cheating at stated ISO's...so after arguing the point back and forth I decided to get a 70mm f/2.8 Sigma Lens that was the foundation for several disputed errors in shutter speeds from Image Resource samples...

I bought the Nex E mount to A Mount Adapter and a M43 to A Mount adapter and a Sigma 70mm A Mount to cut to the chase...heres the informal findings shooting indoors due to rain, bad weather..all originals are HERE

This really didn't help me as I like to shoot birds and wildlife, so not satisfied with the results, I wanted to prove to myself that the EM5 was indeed consistent with other cameras with shutter speeds utilising the 100-300, my biggest concern of all...so the bottom two photos were taken with Nex-7 55-210 at 210mm (315mm EFL) and EM5 100-300 at 150mm (300mm EFL) both at f/6.3 which is the largest aperture on the Sony E Mount 55-210 at 210mm...I was surprised that not only did the EM5 consistently shoot with the same shutter speed, the details speak for themselves...my wife loves the 55-210 and it stays in her bag, never to be touched by me, I know better (It's a piece of Sony $hite)

-- hide signature --

Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 3, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

I kept wondering why the EM5 had slower shutter speeds than normal, so I jumped on the band wagon that Olympus was cheating at stated ISO's...so after arguing the point back and forth I decided to get a 70mm f/2.8 Sigma Lens that was the foundation for several disputed errors in shutter speeds from Image Resource samples...

I bought the Nex E mount to A Mount Adapter and a M43 to A Mount adapter and a Sigma 70mm A Mount to cut to the chase...heres the informal findings shooting indoors due to rain, bad weather..all originals are HERE

This really didn't help me as I like to shoot birds and wildlife, so not satisfied with the results, I wanted to prove to myself that the EM5 was indeed consistent with other cameras with shutter speeds utilising the 100-300, my biggest concern of all...so the bottom two photos were taken with Nex-7 55-210 at 210mm (315mm EFL) and EM5 100-300 at 150mm (300mm EFL) both at f/6.3 which is the largest aperture on the Sony E Mount 55-210 at 210mm...I was surprised that not only did the EM5 consistently shoot with the same shutter speed, the details speak for themselves...my wife loves the 55-210 and it stays in her bag, never to be touched by me, I know better (It's a piece of Sony $hite)

Thanks for the report. Good to see that the "slow E-M5 shutter" you were talking about didn't materialize. A few of us tried ... ahem ... to tell you it wouldn't.

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083Gear list
Like?
Women rules... n/t
-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 3, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Thanks for the report. Good to see that the "slow E-M5 shutter" you were talking about didn't materialize. A few of us tried ... ahem ... to tell you it wouldn't.

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Figured you would be smart enough to look at the first two photos...ahem...guess not... ;-)...

...both at f/2.8 70mm Nex-7 faster and "brighter" 1/40 Nex-7 vs 1/30 EM5 shutter...oh yea I could have made that stick easily... ;-)...lol...

you actually had no clue nor did Manjour...and still don't as the adjusted shutter to equalize brightness would have been 1/50 for Nex-7 and 1/30 for EM5 more than likely...lol..Nex-7 almost DOUBLE the shutter speed of the EM5 with 70mm f/2.8...you guys actually think I am as dumb as you look?...lol...

BUT the main concern was for Birding and Wildlife and I got to the bottom of it...still need to do some more testing against G3 as well...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Figured you would be smart enough to look at the first two photos...ahem...guess not... ;-)...

Oh. I did. The E-M5 shots are both brighter, particularly in the last pair. So that reinforces my point. Seems you weren't smart enough to really look at your images before posting them.

...both at f/2.8 70mm Nex-7 faster and "brighter" 1/40 Nex-7 vs 1/30 EM5 shutter...oh yea I could have made that stick easily... ;-)...lol...

you actually had no clue nor did Manjour...and still don't as the adjusted shutter to equalize brightness would have been 1/50 for Nex-7 and 1/30 for EM5 more than likely...lol..Nex-7 almost DOUBLE the shutter speed of the EM5 with 70mm f/2.8...you guys actually think I am as dumb as you look?...lol...

BUT the main concern was for Birding and Wildlife and I got to the bottom of it...still need to do some more testing against G3 as well...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +21 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 3, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Oh. I did. The E-M5 shots are both brighter, particularly in the last pair. So that reinforces my point. Seems you weren't smart enough to really look at your images before posting them.

Time for new glasses Anders...lol...you musta not opened he originals...lol...clueless as ever Bro...

Let me post some crops of the same two to see which is brighter...it sure ain't you...lol..maybe yellower..lol..not brighter the Nex-7 shot is definitely brighter allowing for even more shutter speed...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

I guess I thankfully missed whatever earlier discussion has provoked such diatribe...

Anyway, I'm not seeing what you do.  Or more specifically not measuring what you claim.  ISO is based on JPEG middle grey at 119,119,119.  The closest uniform patch to that value not affected by glare is the white portion of the bill directly above the "E" in "ONE".

On the E-M5 shot that patch measures a mean of 139.7.  On the NEX it is 132.5.  So if anything the NEX is slightly darker, not brighter as you claim.

The difference in camera exposure is 1/3 EV, the minimum step between exposures.

How exactly do you get "almost DOUBLE" from that?  Near as I can tell they are identical to within measurement error.  What am I missing here?

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +29 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to kenw, Apr 3, 2013

kenw wrote:

What am I missing here?

Absolutely nothing Ken, absolutely nothing.

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Time for new glasses Anders...lol...you musta not opened he originals...lol...clueless as ever Bro...

Let me post some crops of the same two to see which is brighter...it sure ain't you...lol..maybe yellower..lol..not brighter the Nex-7 shot is definitely brighter allowing for even more shutter speed...

kenw already had the courtesy of sorting things out for you. So it seems I won't have to take the trouble.

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to kenw, Apr 3, 2013

kenw wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I guess I thankfully missed whatever earlier discussion has provoked such diatribe...

Anyway, I'm not seeing what you do.  Or more specifically not measuring what you claim.  ISO is based on JPEG middle grey at 119,119,119.  The closest uniform patch to that value not affected by glare is the white portion of the bill directly above the "E" in "ONE".

On the E-M5 shot that patch measures a mean of 139.7.  On the NEX it is 132.5.  So if anything the NEX is slightly darker, not brighter as you claim.

The difference in camera exposure is 1/3 EV, the minimum step between exposures.

How exactly do you get "almost DOUBLE" from that?  Near as I can tell they are identical to within measurement error.  What am I missing here

A "lot"...

The brightness or lightness if you will is very evident on the Nex-7 shot at 1/40 of a second...the EM5 shot is darker at 1/30...easily the Nex-7 could have went to 1/50 of a second is still have been just as equal in brightness as the EM5 "easily"...lol...you gents can pi$$ on my leg, but please don't try an tell me it is rain...lol...I ain't blind yet...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?

OK, believe whatever you want.  I usually measure things and then check the standard I'm measuring to.  If you want to "eyeball it" by all means do so.  You do look a bit of a fool stamping your feet when you invent your own reality however.  But it is your choice and I'll leave you to it!

LTZ470 wrote:

A "lot"...

The brightness or lightness if you will is very evident on the Nex-7 shot at 1/40 of a second...the EM5 shot is darker at 1/30...easily the Nex-7 could have went to 1/50 of a second is still have been just as equal in brightness as the EM5 "easily"...lol...you gents can pi$$ on my leg, but please don't try an tell me it is rain...lol...I ain't blind yet...

-- hide signature --

Ken W

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +29 more
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?

Can you try it with long exposures? Try the same test with the lights off. I am just curious if long shutter durations will show a bigger difference.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Apr 3, 2013

I get in this kind of argument with my wife all the time.

Me: "Is"

She: "Isn't"

Me:  "Is"

She: "Isn't

But I always win.  After she leaves the room I whisper "Is" and get the last word. 

To me, they both look within 1/3 stop of each other, with a little difference in white balance.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,585Gear list
Like?

Thanks for this

It may pay to use the same white balance between the cameras. One of them seems to have changed in vibe tween the shots.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Apr 3, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Thanks for this

It may pay to use the same white balance between the cameras. One of them seems to have changed in vibe tween the shots.

I agree, WB seems different. The Olympus looks warmer. As for brightness, I too frown on eyeballing, but even doing so, I don't see this supposed darker image on the Oly... it looks slightly brighter to me. I'm attributing that to the WB though, the warmer color brings out some of the wood's grain better, and makes the bill look a bit lighter.

In contrast, the cooler color of the Sony brings out the glare more... or so it seems eyeballing it. That makes the lighting look different or positioned differently, but it's likely just WB.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +12 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to bgalb, Apr 4, 2013

bgalb wrote:

I get in this kind of argument with my wife all the time.

Me: "Is"

She: "Isn't"

Me:  "Is"

She: "Isn't

But I always win.  After she leaves the room I whisper "Is" and get the last word. 

To me, they both look within 1/3 stop of each other, with a little difference in white balance.

Lol...me too...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to kenw, Apr 4, 2013

kenw wrote:

OK, believe whatever you want.  I usually measure things and then check the standard I'm measuring to.  If you want to "eyeball it" by all means do so.  You do look a bit of a fool stamping your feet when you invent your own reality however.  But it is your choice and I'll leave you to it!

LTZ470 wrote:

A "lot"...

-- hide signature --

Ken W

Thanks I believe I will Ken...stamping my feet...lol...you are one of the original less brothers?...first name clue...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
Second that (nt)
In reply to Martin.au, Apr 4, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Thanks for this

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Thanks Ken, for a little sanity.
In reply to kenw, Apr 4, 2013

Tone curves, white balance, etc. can all play trick with what we see (notice how the EM5 is warmer/red and the NEX is cooler/blue?).  It is nice that you took the time to do an actual measurement and bring a little sanity to this thread. 

btw, colors and white balance really do trick the eyes.   For example Bluing is a trick used by landry detergents to make dirty whites look whiter...

White fabrics acquire a slight color cast after use (usually grey or yellow). Since blue and yellow are complementary colors in the subtractive color model of color perception, adding a trace of blue color to the slightly off-white color of these fabrics makes them appear whiter.

CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 4, 2013

I wondered myself if the overstated ISO affect shutter speed on OMD to be slower then NEX. Even being an NEX owner I have to agree with folks who say not really at least in the example above:

I recently learned about this interesting, although very limited, site:

http://www.sensorgen.info/

So the truth is - Sony also overstates the ISO but perhaps less so then OMD - yet not enough so  for any significant gap between them - in this example

From the site:

Nex-7, stated ISO 200, measured ISO 159

OMD, stated ISO 200, measured ISO 107

So that's ISO diff of 52 which is highly insignificant as these shots actually prove.

Anyone arguing otherwise is ignoring the facts.

On the other hand and perhaps here comes the punch line as the ISO keeps going up the gap gets significantly larger:

Nex-7, stated ISO 3200, measured ISO 2617

OMD, stated ISO 3200, measured ISO 1489

Diff is 1,128 ISO - how many stops is that - I haven't gotten the hang of those calcs yet

And if we keep going:

Nex-7, stated ISO 12800, measured ISO 10702

OMD, stated ISO 12800, measured ISO 5953

Diff is 4749 ISO - how many stops is that?

Don't shoot the messenger - I didn't come up with those numbers, but to the original poster if you want to do a more effective test go up in ISO...start at 3200. If the site is correct there will be a measurable diff in the shutter speed then.

Also I think the NEX-6 is the camera to compare to OMD taking into account both have 16mp sensors. NEX-6 has even better ISO performance then 7 so the gap could be even higher...but the 7 will do if the site is correct.

Want to try again?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads