Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,340Gear list
Like?
How to HARD RESET the Nex-6 ... FW update related
Feb 5, 2013

Ok folks, I had a little surprise after I updated the FW for the Nex-6 followed by the FW update for the SEL30M35 - the Nex-6 was effectively BRICKED.

Please note - both FW updates went smooth, without a hitch. I received the message "Lens update complete, Please remove battery pack from camera, reinsert and restart". Which I did, and ended up with a bricked camera.

Actually, technically, bricked is the wrong word, I had a live view in the LCD, AF was working, but I had no access to Menu button, and no information was displayed in the LCD, there was no switching to the EVF and the POWER BUTTON did not function - ie. I could not turn the camera OFF, only remove the battery again.

The remove-battery-for-a-minute-then-reinsert did also not help.

But a little trial and error ended up with this little trick:

• Put Nex-6 in M mode with top-dial
  • Put the battery back in
  • Press the soft Menu A and C buttons together with Fn button (I pressed all three)
  • Wait for 8 seconds
  • Nex-6 will reset

I was about to ask for help here on this forum, and get Sony on the phone tomorrow, but this little trick saved the day.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow