Stand-alone PDF viewers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,539
Stand-alone PDF viewers

Just asking to see if anyone would care to chime in on which stand-alone apps you may be using for PDF viewing and printing. I’m fine with just using browsers for ad-hoc viewing of PDFs that are posted online. Sometimes though I just want a full-fledged app for viewing larger documents and especially where printing is concerned.

Adobe Reader is a no-go for me for personal reasons. I’ve used Foxit reader and it worked just fine. Its UI experience was becoming a bit too bloated for my tastes though. I’ve also tried the open source Sumatra PDF reader. It’s a wee bit rough around the edges but it seemed to be OK. I’m just wondering if there are any other options I’m not aware of.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,723
Re: Stand-alone PDF viewers

Billiam29 wrote:

Just asking to see if anyone would care to chime in on which stand-alone apps you may be using for PDF viewing and printing. I’m fine with just using browsers for ad-hoc viewing of PDFs that are posted online. Sometimes though I just want a full-fledged app for viewing larger documents and especially where printing is concerned.

Adobe Reader is a no-go for me for personal reasons. I’ve used Foxit reader and it worked just fine. Its UI experience was becoming a bit too bloated for my tastes though. I’ve also tried the open source Sumatra PDF reader. It’s a wee bit rough around the edges but it seemed to be OK. I’m just wondering if there are any other options I’m not aware of.

Evince on Linux worked well for me. It's almost as good as MacOS Preview, which I use now. Looks like there is a Windows build. No guarantees, I haven't tried it.

https://www.fosshub.com/Evince.html

As a full-fledged PDF editor to replace Acrobat, I liked Master PDF Editor over Qoppa.

P.S. Foxit might be better, but it doesn't run on Linux, so I didn't try it.

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 8,587

Billiam29 wrote:

I am using Foxit PDF Viewer. Curios why do you find UI bloated. BTW it is quite customizable.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +4 more
Michael Arbor
Michael Arbor Regular Member • Posts: 255
Brave...

Billiam29 wrote:

Just asking to see if anyone would care to chime in on which stand-alone apps you may be using for PDF viewing and printing.

Always seems to work for me. Might work for you, too.

Cheers... M 

-- hide signature --

Michael
“There is no one alive who is you-er than you.” - Cat in the Hat

Michael Arbor's gear list:Michael Arbor's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-1 II Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
OP Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,539

Sagittarius wrote:

I am using Foxit PDF Viewer. Curios why do you find UI bloated. BTW it is quite customizable.

I can’t say specifically what it was that was bothering me about the Foxit UI as the system I have with Foxit is actually at a different location from where I currently am.

I can tell you for certain though that the color scheme they switched to as a default definitely struck an “ewwww” chord with me. Like you said though, that may have very well been easily changed along with some other things I probably overlooked. The idea of UI customization just honestly never occurred to me for a PDF reader so I never bothered looking for such settings.

ReedW Contributing Member • Posts: 993

I'm still using an old 9.x version of Foxit Reader.  Several years ago I had upgraded, probably to a 10.x version, but went back to 9.x when I found out Foxit had removed the PDF printer functionality which I utilized frequently.

I often use the print to PDF functionality in browsers these days (usually from Brave, my default browser on all platforms) so I don't use Foxit Reader as much as I used to.

atom14
atom14 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,267

Billiam, for me, exactly as ReedW says below...

ReedW wrote:

I'm still using an old 9.x version of Foxit Reader. Several years ago I had upgraded, probably to a 10.x version, but went back to 9.x when I found out Foxit had removed the PDF printer functionality which I utilized frequently.

...to here. The print functionality of Foxit is very [/Tick], but so is file creation.

I often use the print to PDF functionality in browsers these days (usually from Brave, my default browser on all platforms) so I don't use Foxit Reader as much as I used to.

To ReedW: Thanks for the info on Brave. I will have a look, although I never liked the Chrome interface and mostly (99.9% of the time) use Firefox. Additionally, I disabled the auto-update on Foxit

atom14.

SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

I just use Chrome or Edge. It's simple to view and select the pages to print.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
A J Fresnel Regular Member • Posts: 129

I am using Okular. It comes from the linux world like Evince suggested by CAcreeks, but I find it so much better and full-featured that I install it everywhere. (I had a situation where a collaborator was using acrobat pro and send me a file with comments, and Evince could not show some of them, I think the caret ones. Okular was always 100% reliable.)

I install Okular on my Windows machines through the Microsoft store (only program I use that for), but they also have an installer on their website.

-- hide signature --

People often say 'You get what you pay for'. They are wrong. You can always pay more without getting more. You have to pay for what you get.

A J Fresnel's gear list:A J Fresnel's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
ReedW Contributing Member • Posts: 993

atom14 wrote:

Billiam, for me, exactly as ReedW says below...

ReedW wrote:

I'm still using an old 9.x version of Foxit Reader. Several years ago I had upgraded, probably to a 10.x version, but went back to 9.x when I found out Foxit had removed the PDF printer functionality which I utilized frequently.

...to here. The print functionality of Foxit is very [/Tick], but so is file creation.

To ReedW: Thanks for the info on Brave. I will have a look, although I never liked the Chrome interface and mostly (99.9% of the time) use Firefox. Additionally, I disabled the auto-update on Foxit

atom14.

Here's the link to the Brave browser site. Check it out and see what you think.

https://brave.com/

I was a long-time Firefox devotee but decided to give Brave a try a couple of years ago. Found that I really liked it and decided to use it going forward.

Brave has a number of options for turning off some of the site security and tracking features, and occasionally I need to modify them for a particular site to work correctly, but it general it's not an issue. There is one banking site I use that takes forever to load in Brave, and I usually switch to Firefox for that particular site.

I switched to the Duck Duck Go search engine to cut down on the amount of my data being tracked.

I also use a VPN frequently to cut down the amount of data my ISP can track.

There's no getting away from data collection by big tech, but the products above are a good step in the right direction.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,723

A J Fresnel wrote:

I am using Okular. It comes from the linux world like Evince suggested by CAcreeks, but I find it so much better and full-featured that I install it everywhere. (I had a situation where a collaborator was using acrobat pro and send me a file with comments, and Evince could not show some of them, I think the caret ones. Okular was always 100% reliable.)

I install Okular on my Windows machines through the Microsoft store (only program I use that for), but they also have an installer on their website.

Thanks for the recommendation of Okular, AJ.

One thing you can't do with browser-based PDF viewing is make annotations and comments. Evince can do that, and so can Okular, probably better.

atom14
atom14 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,267

SC489 wrote:

That's good - if that's all you want to do.

OP Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,539

atom14 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

In my experience, stand-alone PDF views are just generally a bit easier to deal with when it comes to viewing large PDF files of say 50+ pages.

Of greater concern is that my chosen primary browser Firefox inserts its standard headers and footers onto printed pages of PDFs just like it does when you print routine web page content. A behavior I very much do not want. If I need to change to another application to avoid that, then it may as well be a stand-alone PDF viewer and not another browser.

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 8,587

Billiam29 wrote:

atom14 wrote:

SC489 wrote:

In my experience, stand-alone PDF views are just generally a bit easier to deal with when it comes to viewing large PDF files of say 50+ pages.

Of greater concern is that my chosen primary browser Firefox inserts its standard headers and footers onto printed pages of PDFs just like it does when you print routine web page content. A behavior I very much do not want. If I need to change to another application to avoid that, then it may as well be a stand-alone PDF viewer and not another browser.

In Firefox in print dialog box click on More settings and uncheck Print Headers and Footers box.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +4 more
SecondTimeAround Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Uncheck "Print headers and footers"...

Sagittarius wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

In Firefox in print dialog box click on More settings and uncheck Print Headers and Footers box.

Yep, if I understand the concern correctly, the solution seems as simple as that:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads