Ricoh GS-2 Wrist Strap

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
joslocum Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Ricoh GS-2 Wrist Strap

I am pretty happy with the original OEM woven fabric wrist strap that shipped with my GRiii.  But I'm always looking around for fun accessories.

I stumbled onto a black GS-2 on the Bay and I was the only bidder so I picked it up pretty cheap.

It's made of real leather and fairly thin, which I like.  It seems to suit the svelte character and lightweight of the GRiii.  I was apprehensive to place a bid since I've never seen it in the flesh.  If the leather was too thick I probably wouldn't use it and it would just sit on a shelf somewhere.

Interestingly, it's lined with what appears to be felt, not leather.  This may or may not add to comfort but I'm not sure of the lifespan as felt tends to wear faster than leather.  The two are sewn together.

It also has a leather "cincher" that works well to lock the strap on your wrist.  It takes a little pressure to move back and forth that I find just about right.

There is a nice leather "GR" embossed logo where the parachute cord meets the strap.  But in my opinion this connection point is larger than it needs to be and squared off more than it needs to be, aesthetically speaking.

I also ordered some minimalist round cloth straps off Amazon so we'll see which one ultimately makes the team.

I guess the question is: Should I keep it attached to the top or attach it to the bottom.

All comments appreciated.

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,613
Re: Ricoh GS-2 Wrist Strap

Well as you asked.

From my point of view and use it looks completely mismatched to the camera. Would be complete and under hindrance for the way i use the GR and its made of leather so i hate it.

Nothing more than the supplied lightweight, small flexible wrist strap is needed imo.

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,206

I attached it to the bottom.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100V Ricoh GR IIIx Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
OP joslocum Senior Member • Posts: 1,613

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

From my point of view and use it looks completely mismatched to the camera. Would be complete and under hindrance for the way i use the GR and its made of leather so i hate it.

Nothing more than the supplied lightweight, small flexible wrist strap is needed imo.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.

We'll see how it goes.  I may end up going back to the original, use one of the incoming from Amazon, or, dare I say it, possibly even a neck strap!

Les Lammers wrote:

I attached it to the bottom.

I will give it a shot, thanks.

ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,851

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

We'll see how it goes. I may end up going back to the original, use one of the incoming from Amazon, or, dare I say it, possibly even a neck strap!

I used the stock wrist strap from the box for a while, then removed it and added a thumb grip, then removed that too and went "naked" for quite a while.

There's nothing wrong with a neck strap despite what some people here will say. It doesn't lend itself to snap shooting unless you remove it fully all the time.

I have a Gordy's long strap I use as a sling, with quick release, and a Gordy's wrist strap with quick release, from my Fujifilm days. Now I use the IIIx with the OVF like a "normal" camera rather than a snap shooter, I'm thinking of adding a couple of strings with rings at the end and using the shoulder, wrist and nothing options depending on use.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,613

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

We'll see how it goes. I may end up going back to the original, use one of the incoming from Amazon, or, dare I say it, possibly even a neck strap!

We are all different so do what works for you. Whilst i would never previously have used a neck strap for gr, im now using 2 gr,s so at an event one camera round the neck might be useful for me. Jacket pockets work fine though for me.

illd3fined Contributing Member • Posts: 583

heavy duty zip-tie pinky ring stays held open and still allows me to hang the GR and use the hand for other things

illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

I used the stock wrist strap from the box for a while, then removed it and added a thumb grip, then removed that too and went "naked" for quite a while.

There's nothing wrong with a neck strap despite what some people here will say. It doesn't lend itself to snap shooting unless you remove it fully all the time.

I have a Gordy's long strap I use as a sling, with quick release, and a Gordy's wrist strap with quick release, from my Fujifilm days. Now I use the IIIx with the OVF like a "normal" camera rather than a snap shooter, I'm thinking of adding a couple of strings with rings at the end and using the shoulder, wrist and nothing options depending on use.

Excellent reply Vittorio.

I shot 100 photos on Sunday using a cheap Amazon Basics case with the strap on and carried it as a sling with the strap on my left shoulder and case/camera on my front right hip.  I let the wrist strap just hang out of the side.  Worked well and the bag can be mostly closed to keep out dust between shooting.

I've seen a number of videos with people using the JJC thumb rest but it looks like it would get in the way of the mode dial to me, and others have stated that it's hard to get back out of a pocket with it on.  The camera is so light that while it may be somewhat beneficial for holding the camera, I don't see an overall gain to adding it.  Am I wrong?

ViMa

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

I shot 100 photos on Sunday using a cheap Amazon Basics case with the strap on and carried it as a sling with the strap on my left shoulder and case/camera on my front right hip. I let the wrist strap just hang out of the side. Worked well and the bag can be mostly closed to keep out dust between shooting.

I've seen a number of videos with people using the JJC thumb rest but it looks like it would get in the way of the mode dial to me, and others have stated that it's hard to get back out of a pocket with it on. The camera is so light that while it may be somewhat beneficial for holding the camera, I don't see an overall gain to adding it. Am I wrong?

I loved thumb grips on my X100F and X-Pro3 but I've had trouble with the GR one. For one, as you said, it makes it more difficult to use the dial. Also, for some reason, it sticks out upwards, making it more difficult to shoot with the thumb if you ever need it (used to do that when trying to be stealthy with the III, not sure I ever will with the IIIx now). Most of all, now I have the OVF stuck on there, so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

maltmoose wrote:

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

We are all different so do what works for you. Whilst i would never previously have used a neck strap for gr, im now using 2 gr,s so at an event one camera round the neck might be useful for me. Jacket pockets work fine though for me.

Just for another idea, I used this on my Sony a6100 and might actually try it on my GRIII.

It's a mirrorless sling strap from Op-Tech.  It's only supposed to come with one connection point but I put a second one on (the same eyelet) as a safety back up.

The camera can be easily swung up to eye level as it slides up along the strap.  The sling is long enough to fit into a jacket pocket while the strap is over your shoulder.

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Well as you asked.

I shot 100 photos on Sunday using a cheap Amazon Basics case with the strap on and carried it as a sling with the strap on my left shoulder and case/camera on my front right hip. I let the wrist strap just hang out of the side. Worked well and the bag can be mostly closed to keep out dust between shooting.

I've seen a number of videos with people using the JJC thumb rest but it looks like it would get in the way of the mode dial to me, and others have stated that it's hard to get back out of a pocket with it on. The camera is so light that while it may be somewhat beneficial for holding the camera, I don't see an overall gain to adding it. Am I wrong?

I loved thumb grips on my X100F and X-Pro3 but I've had trouble with the GR one. For one, as you said, it makes it more difficult to use the dial. Also, for some reason, it sticks out upwards, making it more difficult to shoot with the thumb if you ever need it (used to do that when trying to be stealthy with the III, not sure I ever will with the IIIx now). Most of all, now I have the OVF stuck on there, so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

There is a tall guy on YouTube who shoots in Tokyo.  He shoots a lot with his thumb.  Maybe that's why Ricoh designed the shutter release with its odd and unique shape.

illd3fined Contributing Member • Posts: 583

Starny wrote:

There is a tall guy on YouTube who shoots in Tokyo. He shoots a lot with his thumb. Maybe that's why Ricoh designed the shutter release with its odd and unique shape.

I use the thumb shutter grip almost half the time, good for shooting vertical

illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list

So far the GS-2, while being well made, has not made the team.

Just yesterday I received a package of 5 or 6 cheap straps (in different colors) from Amazon that were recommended by someone here on the forums.

They fit great and feel great and even have a cinch slider but the parachute chord is the thinnest I've seen on a strap and I'm worried about the camera falling off.

It seems to me that the metal bottom hole of the GRIII has sharper edges than the top hole (could be my imagination) .

Might be full circle back to original strap.

lemangin
lemangin Forum Member • Posts: 79

I am using a thumb strap for my Ricohs and it is actually more comfortable and secure than it looks! Plus, it is not as cumbersome as carrying a small camera with a twice longer wrist strap hanging on the side.
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Finger-Cuff-QD/dp/B005DKLJAW?th=1

-- hide signature --

Stephane

lemangin's gear list:lemangin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Ricoh GR IIIx +1 more
ViMa

So today I "upgraded" my strap situation. I took two of the Gordy rings and used strong string and made a custom situation. This works great with the Gordy quick release system and when I don't use a strap at all they almost don't feel like they are there at all.

I put string all around the metal rings to add protection and avoid scratches (I do not do well with patina. I have OCD).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa wrote:

So today I "upgraded" my strap situation. I took two of the Gordy rings and used strong string and made a custom situation. This works great with the Gordy quick release system and when I don't use a strap at all they almost don't feel like they are there at all.

I put string all around the metal rings to add protection and avoid scratches (I do not do well with patina. I have OCD).

Really interesting.  What type of string are you using here?

I like the "Street Edition" lens ring!  I may have to put mine back on.

ViMa

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Really interesting. What type of string are you using here?

I like the "Street Edition" lens ring! I may have to put mine back on.

I think my mother (she has a jewelry shop and helped me with this) called it was string, though I'm translating literally.

Actually this is the bronze ring for the IIIx. I think it's more subtle than the street edition orange. But in general I'm a fan of the coloured rings. I had a green one for the III.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

I think my mother (she has a jewelry shop and helped me with this) called it was string, though I'm translating literally.

Actually this is the bronze ring for the IIIx. I think it's more subtle than the street edition orange. But in general I'm a fan of the coloured rings. I had a green one for the III.

I am currently fooling around with a waxed shoelace from an old dress shoe.  Not sure where I'm going with it.  Maybe just a short piece as a secondary backup should the thin first string break.  However, there's only so much room in the camera eyelet.

I did not know that the two orange rings where different in color--interesting.

Do you have a number of JJC rings?  Do they tend to lock onto a GRIII any better than the OEM rings?

ViMa

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Starny wrote:

ViMa wrote:

I am currently fooling around with a waxed shoelace from an old dress shoe. Not sure where I'm going with it. Maybe just a short piece as a secondary backup should the thin first string break. However, there's only so much room in the camera eyelet.

I did not know that the two orange rings where different in color--interesting.

Do you have a number of JJC rings? Do they tend to lock onto a GRIII any better than the OEM rings?

I only have the JJC green one which locked fine. It's a completely pointless possession now I don't have a GR III to use it with. There's no JJC options for the GR IIIx as of yet.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads