Peak Desing plate doesn't fit Benro VX25?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
s-trap Junior Member • Posts: 47
Peak Desing plate doesn't fit Benro VX25?

I have Benro tripod with VX25 head.

I've bought Peak Design Capture clip on the promise that bottom plate will fit Arca Swiss compatible head of the tripod, so I don't have to unscrew it from the camera with a hex key.

Well, it doesn't fit. It requires way too much force to rotate the locking knob of the head behind the safety pin.

The Peak Design plate seems to be tiny bit thicker than Benro plate. So much for the "standard".

I'd like to know if it is general problem with Peak Design and Benro or maybe just my copy of the head is somehow faulty.

I'll try to test this plate with another head when my work schedule will allow me, but maybe someone here has experience with Benro and the Capture?

mattspace
mattspace Contributing Member • Posts: 575
Re: Peak Desing plate doesn't fit Benro VX25?

s-trap wrote:

The Peak Design plate seems to be tiny bit thicker than Benro plate. So much for the "standard".

Capture Clip works fine on my Gitzo (screw) and 3LT (cam lever) ARCA heads. I can hang the camera upside-down from the tripod, and everything is nice and secure, no movement at all.  That said, the Capture Clip is a lot thinner / lower profile than any of the other plates I have, so I have trouble picturing how the Benro plate could be thinner still.

Maybe the Benro head just isn't deep enough / isn't actually ARCA standard?

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
Richard B99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,384
Agree

mattspace wrote:

s-trap wrote:

Capture Clip works fine on my Gitzo (screw) and 3LT (cam lever) ARCA heads. I can hang the camera upside-down from the tripod, and everything is nice and secure, no movement at all. That said, the Capture Clip is a lot thinner / lower profile than any of the other plates I have, so I have trouble picturing how the Benro plate could be thinner still.

Maybe the Benro head just isn't deep enough / isn't actually ARCA standard?

Likewise, my capture clip works fine in a range of Arca clamps but not in a couple of Chinese made clamps (including a Benro one). So, most likely it’s the Benro clamp that’s off standard.

I’d also note that I’m not fantastically enamoured with the capture clip plates.  They are very good in the capture clips but I don’t like them with tripods at all because the hard plastic on top of the plate coupled with the small contact area doesn’t really hold everything together well and the camera / lens can flex on the plate and/or allow the rig to twist.  Generally ok with a light camera and lens but a bigger lens needs a stronger camera/ lens plate or, better, a lens plate with integrated Arca dovetails.

Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,255
Re: Peak Desing plate doesn't fit Benro VX25?

Try removing the ‘stopper pin’ from your Benro clamp. This seems to be the issue.

The Arca-Swiss quick release system is (outside of genuineArca Swiss products) probably best described as a ‘style’.

Peak Design made no such promise to you of universal compatibility with all Arca-Swiss style clamps from other manufacturers. How could they? They have nothing to do with Benro’s interpretation of the Arca Swiss system.

If you read their description of thePeak Design Capture Plate:

“Works with most ARCA-type tripods (including ours)”

Also see https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/201291333-Using-Peak-Design-Plates-in-3rd-Party-Tripods

Here is a (outdated) Arca Swiss compatibility chart: http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html

Although there is no reference to Peak Design, it gives you some idea of the variation between different Arca Swiss-style plates and clamps from different manufacturers. I believe Peak Design stick quite closely to the RRS (38.0 / 32.8) interpretation of Arca Swiss-style.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +3 more
mattspace
mattspace Contributing Member • Posts: 575
Re: Agree

Richard B99 wrote:

I’d also note that I’m not fantastically enamoured with the capture clip plates. They are very good in the capture clips but I don’t like them with tripods at all because the hard plastic on top of the plate coupled with the small contact area doesn’t really hold everything together well and the camera / lens can flex on the plate and/or allow the rig to twist.

Which generation plate are you using? I have the current V3 low profile plate, and it's a solid metal construction, with rubberised camera-contact surface. I have it locked down to an offset plate screwed to my camera tripod socket, and no twisting or insecurity.

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
Richard B99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,384
Re: Agree

mattspace wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

I’d also note that I’m not fantastically enamoured with the capture clip plates. They are very good in the capture clips but I don’t like them with tripods at all because the hard plastic on top of the plate coupled with the small contact area doesn’t really hold everything together well and the camera / lens can flex on the plate and/or allow the rig to twist.

Which generation plate are you using? I have the current V3 low profile plate, and it's a solid metal construction, with rubberised camera-contact surface. I have it locked down to an offset plate screwed to my camera tripod socket, and no twisting or insecurity.

Latest low profile version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads