Fuji 35mm f/1.4 close focus and sharpness

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
HDRI Forum Member • Posts: 91
Fuji 35mm f/1.4 close focus and sharpness

As per this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ay-t8UMOQ the 35mm f/1.4 isn't good at 28cm wide open

To those who have it, do they have the same experience.

From what distance onwards it has its usual sharpness ?

HDRI's gear list:HDRI's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-T100 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
Johan O E Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Fuji 35mm f/1.4 close focus and sharpness

I find it sharp at all distances but prefer from 28cm to 10 meters.

Best lens I've ever used when it comes to photographs. I own the 16mm1.4 and 23mmf2,  50mmf2 + a few Leica Leitz lenses.

I recommend everyone accept bird photographers to buy this lens.

Shot pretty close at F1.4

@Sufstreet

www.stayuntilforever.com

-- hide signature --

Without darkness we can't shine

OP HDRI Forum Member • Posts: 91

Johan O E wrote:

I find it sharp at all distances but prefer from 28cm to 10 meters.

Nice image!

Close distance portraits is what I am looking at it for (like 40-45cm).

50mm f/2 is another option , though that forces a longer distance for same FOV, and hence slightly different (flatter) perspective

Soon we will have 33mm f/1.4 but thats gonna be costlier

HDRI's gear list:HDRI's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-T100 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
sir_c Regular Member • Posts: 175

With close distance portraits, ultimate sharpness is not always appreciated by the subjects in question, e.g. where every pore and zit will stand out.

The 35/1.4 is perfectly capable of creating good looking portraits.

sir_c's gear list:sir_c's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
nonicks Contributing Member • Posts: 793

HDRI wrote:

As per this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ay-t8UMOQ the 35mm f/1.4 isn't good at 28cm wide open

My current copy which is a recent (newer)  production copy performs well wide open. A little softer image at f/1.4 is expected but it is still quite sharp to my eyes. The weakness of this lens is the close focus ( including focus at the minimum distance) wide open f/1.4.

Ghosting ( hence an impression of softness)  is very observable when wide open at close distance especially in high contrast scenes such as white letters on dark background. However, once I dialed down the EC, the ghosting and softness improved effectively.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
Dr_J Regular Member • Posts: 136

I find it perfectly usable at close distance wide open. It's actually quite sharp at f/1.4 (in the center!) but has a bit dreamy look with lower contrast. This can be adjusted in post though.

I found that the biggest optical problem with this lens is relatively heavy CA wide open in certain situations.

Dr_J's gear list:Dr_J's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Apa Macam
Apa Macam Regular Member • Posts: 391

HDRI wrote:

My copy seems to be slightly better at the center than the results of the one in the video at 28cm wide opened. But anything outside the center is similar. Having said that, I don't plan to shoot portrait at 28cm.
But it's good that you brought this issue up. At least next time if I ever need to use this lens as a pseudo-macro lens for closeup shots, I know that I need to shoot it at F2 or above.

DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 116

The 35mm 1.4 is actually one of the better Fuji lenses for close distance shots (Macro lenses aside), I believe the all lens group focussing has something to do with it. And as other stated sharpness is better at short to medium distances rather than shots at infinity.

-- hide signature --
nonicks Contributing Member • Posts: 793

DuncanIdaho wrote:

The 35mm 1.4 is actually one of the better Fuji lenses for close distance shots (Macro lenses aside), I believe the all lens group focussing has something to do with it. And as other stated sharpness is better at short to medium distances rather than shots at infinity.

I sorta disagree. For the old Fiji lenses, I think the 16/1.4, 23/1.4 and 14/2.8 are much better performers comparing to 35/1.4 in term of IQ at close or minimum distance focus.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 4,413

This is mine at f/1.4 near minimum focus distance. It's not amazingly sharp wide open, but it doesn't suck either. There can be some CA to clean up and usually a loss of contrast that can make it look kinda crappy relative to smaller apertures, but with a few simple corrections it typically looks just fine. The periphery is typically soft until around f/2, but that's part of its charm. There are plenty of technical imperfections to point out with the 35 f/1.4 when shooting test charts and whatnot, but I don't know of a lens that is as capable of making consistently great looking images. It is one of the very last lenses I would sell off.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 116

nonicks wrote:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

I sorta disagree. For the old Fiji lenses, I think the 16/1.4, 23/1.4 and 14/2.8 are much better performers comparing to 35/1.4 in term of IQ at close or minimum distance focus.

You’re probably right, I was thinking of close quarter shots  (0.8m-5m) like what i usually use for shooting portraits rather than the absolute minimum focus distance. At that range I usually stop down anyways so probably the performance wide open is not ideal of the 35mm at that close distances.--

Visit my Flickr albums: https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanidaho/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads