Where do I start

Started 2 months ago | User reviews
Joseph Kerollos New Member • Posts: 24
Where do I start

I really don't know where to start

When I got the A7iii plus the kit lens and the Sony 50mm f1.8 these were my only lenses. Then I went shopping before COVID - man that looks like a memory from a different planet now - I was hoping to get 16-35 GM which I got later but then I saw this lens and asked for price match and as able to get this one

So forward like 2 years and up until yesterday this was my portrait lens. Despite I had the 50mm f1.8 at the time but this lens...

I really don't know where to start... It's simply amazing

The build quality is even better than my other 3 GM lenses 24mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, and the newly added 50mm f1.2

Weight: the lens is not heavy at all you don't feel you are carrying something that will be just extra weight

Weight distribution: This lens doesn't feel front heavy

Auto Focus: the only hick-up is during Macro it takes some time to focus on the object you ant

Manual Focus: Very accurate

Sharpness: very sharp... I mean so sharp

Macro: It is simply awesome, the only thing is during autofocus even with focus limiter it is a bit finicky... it gets it but a bit slow

Portraits: simply awesome

Bokeh: Amazing

If you are looking for an awesome lens for Macro and Portraits... that's the one!!!

Joseph Kerollos's gear list:Joseph Kerollos's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM +1 more
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
Telephoto macro prime lens • Sony FE • SEL90M28G
Announced: Mar 4, 2015
Joseph Kerollos's score
Average community score
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084
With posting a few picture

Joseph Kerollos wrote:

I really don't know where to start

When I got the A7iii plus the kit lens and the Sony 50mm f1.8 these were my only lenses. Then I went shopping before COVID - man that looks like a memory from a different planet now - I was hoping to get 16-35 GM which I got later but then I saw this lens and asked for price match and as able to get this one

So forward like 2 years and up until yesterday this was my portrait lens. Despite I had the 50mm f1.8 at the time but this lens...

I really don't know where to start... It's simply amazing

The build quality is even better than my other 3 GM lenses 24mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, and the newly added 50mm f1.2

Weight: the lens is not heavy at all you don't feel you are carrying something that will be just extra weight

Weight distribution: This lens doesn't feel front heavy

Auto Focus: the only hick-up is during Macro it takes some time to focus on the object you ant

Manual Focus: Very accurate

Sharpness: very sharp... I mean so sharp

Macro: It is simply awesome, the only thing is during autofocus even with focus limiter it is a bit finicky... it gets it but a bit slow

Portraits: simply awesome

Bokeh: Amazing

If you are looking for an awesome lens for Macro and Portraits... that's the one!!!

You could start off with posting a few images. I'm glad you like your new lens, but post a few pictures would help, since pictures are worth thousands of words. Thanks for your opinion of this lens.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
DigGary
DigGary Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Where do I start

I have had the Sony 90mm macro for a few months now and love almost everything about it. The down sides are:

1) a lot of focus breathing. This means when I try to focus stack it is more painful as each time I change the focus point the size of the image changes.

2) auto focus on my a6000 isn't really useful above f11 as it hunts up and back. I think this is more the camera then it is the lens and probably will happen with any lens so doesn't stop me from recommending it. I just haven't gone above f11 with my other lenses so this was new to me.

3) auto focus isn't the fastest but I find it good enough to still recommend.

Would I buy it again, not sure. I would look a bit more at the competition first. I only say this because a lens that didn't breath much would be really nice. If someone isn't interested in focus stacking and can handle the price tag then I would say buy it.

What I like about it:

1) LOVE the auto / manual focus clutch. This is a push / pull on the front end of the lens to switch modes.

2) image quality is great

3) build quality is great

4) auto focus works reasonably well even in macro. I use manual more than auto but I expected to need to use manual all the time.

Here is a from camera jpg. 1/160 sec, f11, ISO 200 with flash

I created this jpg in Affinity Photo from the raw 1/200 sec, f11, ISO 200 with flash

As I started doing macro what surprised me the most was:

- how much flash helps. I started with an old Canon flash on the camera in manual mode. Now I have a GoDox that I use on and off camera mostly in TTL mode.

- how much dust gets on the sensor when I change lenses more and how much you see it at f11 and f16. I clean the sensor myself. I now change lenses quick with the camera aimed down and I seem to get less dust per change now.

-- hide signature --
 DigGary's gear list:DigGary's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +2 more
OP Joseph Kerollos New Member • Posts: 24
Re: With posting a few picture

Agreed and apologies for not doing so

I will add some pictures of Macro, Landscape, and Portraits

Good Comment though

Sony a7 III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM +1 more
OP Joseph Kerollos New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Where do I start (PHOTOS)

A Sample of Macro

Praying Mantis August 24, 2020 1/80 Sec, F2.8, ISO 200

The Book of the Dead April 21, 2021 1/500 Sec, F5, ISO 100

A Sample of Portrait

My Son Oct 19, 2019 1/200 Sec, F2.8, ISO 200

Landscapes

Harbor April 12, 2021 1/125 Sec, F2.8, ISO 500

The Light House April 13, 2021 1/800 Sec, F4, ISO 100

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads