your FZ "sweet spot": from FZ28 to FZ1000

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,534
your FZ "sweet spot": from FZ28 to FZ1000

Now, I know that the FZ1000, FZ1000 mk 2 and FZ2000 are great. They are quite big though.

Most FZ models before them were great too.

Which ones are/were your favorite ?  And why ?

Which ones would you recommend (used or new), with a nice balance between compactness, features and IQ ?

Since 2009, I owned and used the following Lumix superzoom cameras:

• FZ28 : i've liked it a lot. Great lens, not too big, F/2.8-4. Amazing.
  • FZ35 : same great lens, faster auto-focus, but, more noise in pictures. Nonetheless, it was faster to save RAW files, and, when I look at those files now, I'm still amazed.
  • FZ150: another great lens F/2.8-4, with a wonderful lower noise sensor. My favorite FZ, so far (I have not tried the FZ1000 yet).
  • FZ200: nice F/2.8 from 25 to 600mm. But, the sensor is noisier than the one in the FZ150. And it's bulkier than the FZ150 (because of F/2.8 -- of course).

If I had to buy a FZ again, I might go for a FZ150 again. I still feel the FZ1000 is too big to carry for a long day of hiking or walking.

Yes, I know similar topics have been discussed in various threads here, but, we're still stuck in lockdown mostly and, we now have a lot more experience with those past cameras.

... and, maybe, like me, you had time to review your older pictures and notice the qualities and/or weaknesses in the files from previous cameras.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,495
Re: your FZ "sweet spot": from FZ28 to FZ1000

I’ve had the 28, 72,200,330 and 1000 . The 1000 is a great all rounder but my favourite is the fz330 and the lt-55 telephoto converter.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

jf_tea wrote:

Now, I know that the FZ1000, FZ1000 mk 2 and FZ2000 are great. They are quite big though.

Most FZ models before them were great too.

Which ones are/were your favorite ? And why ?

Which ones would you recommend (used or new), with a nice balance between compactness, features and IQ ?

Since 2009, I owned and used the following Lumix superzoom cameras:

• FZ28 : i've liked it a lot. Great lens, not too big, F/2.8-4. Amazing.
  • FZ35 : same great lens, faster auto-focus, but, more noise in pictures. Nonetheless, it was faster to save RAW files, and, when I look at those files now, I'm still amazed.
  • FZ150: another great lens F/2.8-4, with a wonderful lower noise sensor. My favorite FZ, so far (I have not tried the FZ1000 yet).
  • FZ200: nice F/2.8 from 25 to 600mm. But, the sensor is noisier than the one in the FZ150. And it's bulkier than the FZ150 (because of F/2.8 -- of course).

If I had to buy a FZ again, I might go for a FZ150 again. I still feel the FZ1000 is too big to carry for a long day of hiking or walking.

Yes, I know similar topics have been discussed in various threads here, but, we're still stuck in lockdown mostly and, we now have a lot more experience with those past cameras.

... and, maybe, like me, you had time to review your older pictures and notice the qualities and/or weaknesses in the files from previous cameras.

I've had:

FZ8

FZ18

FZ47/48

FZ60/62

FZ200

FZ300/330

The FZ300 is without doubt the stand out of them all. It's evolved & it shows.

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
PJPfeiffer Senior Member • Posts: 1,177

Panasonic newbie here ... switched from a Kodak 7590 (2005 - 2016) to FZ 300 for these reasons:

• IS
  • raw
  • constant f/2.8
  • zoom range
  • manual focus
  • remote shutter capability
 PJPfeiffer's gear list:PJPfeiffer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Snapseed +3 more
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,615

FZ20: built like a tank, outstanding lens, it launched my digital photography passion as I was burned out from film. It was a hot seller as people discovered it's solid IQ.

FZ48: my "sleeper" camera that will grab a fine looking image if I do my part. I like it better than the FZ35 I had. Love the clean output of it's CCD sensor..very low noise vs CMOS.

FZ200: still a great camera today and more compact than the FZ300. While the FZ300 has shown some upgrades (evf, weather resistance), the IQ of the FZ200 has not been surpassed. The 300 will shoot in 4k, but I'll take 1080p as it's very difficult to see the difference between the two and the 1080p video files are MUCH easier to work with. The FZ200 in excellent condition can be found for $200.+- If you want new, the FZ300 would be a great choice.

bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

I started with an FZ1000 which was great but, for reasons posted here,

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4524405

I gifted that camera to a close relative and got the FZ1000 II. I've since added an FZ300, mainly for the extra reach but unless that's a real necessity, the FZ1000 II is my choice for a fixed lens camera.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +19 more
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,838

No question, I absolutely HAD to respond to this thread.

The 10 MP FZ28 was my first Panasonic superzoom.  It went on several cruises and land trips with me, and I felt it was better than the 12 MP FZ35, which I also had.  The FZ28 followed on to my Canon S5IS and was better in several ways and with a little work, had equally good color. I liked it a lot; but it wasn't my favorite.

The FZ150 was a big improvement over the FZ28 and FZ35, although the lens was a little slower at the very long end; but image quality was noticeably better, particularly at higher ISO up to 1600.  The downside was the low resolution EVF and LCD screen.

The FZ200 (I've had 5 of these) The earliest two handled better than the FZ150, and had a higher resolution EVF; but image quality lacked a little bit.  Camera settings were different than all my previous FZ's.  The third one, from May, 2013 was different and better and wanted to use the same settings as the FZ150.  It also equaled the FZ150's image quality all the way to ISO 1600.  #4 was made in China and seemed to have a little less contrast in JPEG's.  It was bought new, as were the first three.  Camera #5 I still have.  It was made in Japan and seems to be every bit as good as #3.  It was my favorite FZ for quite a while; but...

The first FZ300 was almost as good overall as the last FZ200 I had.  Both models use the same 25-600 mm f/2.8 lens.  Images were sharp; but lacked "pop" and color was off just a little.  I gave it to a friend to take on his Alaska trip.  Later, in a different home, I missed the weather proofing of the FZ300, and bought a new one.  The second FZ300 was better.  Sharper, much better color, and it had the missing "pop".  That second one was a keeper, and the best of my small sensor FZ's.  It's also the heaviest and bulkiest of all my small sensor FZ's; but handling and balance are very good, and similarly equipped, it's only a little less than 4 oz heavier than the FZ200.  The FZ300 has better displays, can control off-camera flashes, and is ruggedized and weather sealed.

Along the way, a friend gave me an FZ18.  Smaller and lighter than the FZ150, and with not quite as long a lens (504 mm vs 600); it has nice color and sharp images; but is only 8 MP.  It also lacks a hot shoe.  The sensor is a CD.  I'd rank it just slightly below the FZ28.

I recently bought a used FZ80 to take advantage of the longer lens for shots of ducks and geese on a large pond near us.  I only shoot JPEGs, so it took a while to figure out the best settings.  They turned out to be pretty close to my first FZ200.  I'd rank it below the FZ150 for image quality in JPEG.  Its main strength is the 1200 mm (equivalent) lens, although I mostly use it at EX-M (9 MP) which gives an equivalent 1692 mm.

And then there's the FZ1000.  It's the biggest and heaviest, although not so big as to prevent taking it on cruises and land trips in my carry-on bag.  I bought one in 2015 as a replacement for my DSLR kit on travel.  It was good enough, that after a group trip to central California, I sold the whole DSLR kit when I got home.  It's not ruggedized and weather sealed like the FZ300; but does take better pictures at ISO's above 400.  I am now on my second one, and it's slightly better.   All up and ready to go, it's about 5.5 oz. heavier than the FZ300, and somewhat larger.  It has a significantly larger and higher resolution sensor that gives it a significant edge at higher ISO, and a higher resolution EVF.  It mostly stays home now and is used for portraits, scenics, and flash work.

OK, so what's the final ranking?  The FZ1000 wins on image quality, particularly over ISO 400; but it's the biggest and heaviest and isn't ruggedized or weather sealed.  The FZ300 is the best of the small sensor FZ's, it's weather sealed and ruggedized, and because of the longer, faster lens is my choice for use around the pond and on travel.  For me, in my current situation, it's a tie.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M5 +1 more
OP jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,534

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. Many interesting stories.

FA28-FZ35: Me too, I found the CCD of the FZ28 gave less noisy pictures. But the faster AF of the FZ35 enabled me to capture some images which would have been more difficult to catch with the FZ28. Both cameras were much better in good light than in low light (as all compact sensor cameras, as we all know).

I've been tempted by the FZ1000, but, I've handled in store and found it bigger than what I want to carry for walking around or hiking. I do understand that it can be a very practical (and nice) replacement for a DSLR with a set of lenses, including telephoto. Now, I do not own any long zoom for my ILC -- I prefer a few small primes -- and I rely on a FZ200 and ZS15 for long focals.

I will have to look at the FZ1000, eventually. I've read about the ZS100 and ZS200, but, their lens is not as good as the FZ1000 lens -- from what I read.

-- hide signature --

-JF

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
K-Dub
K-Dub Regular Member • Posts: 342

In that range, it would have to be the FZ200 which was the only one I've used. I now use the FZ2500, and like it for the most part. I miss the zoom range and size of the 200. The 200 was a nice, fairly compact camera compared to my older Pentax D200 DSLR & assortment of lenses.

My son has been using the 200 since I got the 2500. However, it just died, so we ordered a 300. I can't wait to get it and try it out. I'm expecting that we'll end up liking the 300 the most.

K-Dub's gear list:K-Dub's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6 Panasonic FZ2500 GoPro Hero8 Black
CruisinonRt66 New Member • Posts: 17

The FZ1000ii is amazing. I had the FZ300 and FZ2500  before and also very good. The FZ range is so versatile and with great handling. The quality of the Leica glass is very pleasing. I like the compactness of the earlier versions and it would be nice if they could go back to those sizes with all the bells and whistles of todays tech. I do not find the FZ1000ii too big or heavy for a whole day outing at all. Great to have such a focal range without having to carry individual lenses and bodies.

CruisinonRt66's gear list:CruisinonRt66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic GX850 +8 more

This has been one of the more interesting threads.

One of the things I really like about the whole FZ series, has been the color rendition.  Some of the other series, like the ZS(TZ) and LX have had some weird colors, although they eventually evolved to be more like the FZ's.

In general, I prefer Canon color; but the FZ series is close enough to be easily tweaked to match.  And that brings up another point.  The FZ series have long been able to tweak the color settings for AWB as well as the rest of the settings.  But for reasons I do not understand, the ZS/TZ series didn't have provision for changing color balance in AWB; but did allow it for the other exposure settings.  Does that make sense?

One other point: Size and Weight.  Back around 2006, I stopped carrying a DSLR on vacation travel, and began to use the Canon Pro 1.  It was about 23.7 ounces in weight, not too big, and covered 28-200 mm at f/2.4-3.5 with very good image quality.  At 8 MP it was perfect for travel.  But it lacked Image Stabilization and had slow response in the EVF and LCD, lagging by 1/4-1/3 second so you could not capture the peak of the action.

Canon never came out with an improved "Pro 2", and I spent years looking for an equivalent.  I finally settled on the FZ200 as my "Pro 2".  It's about the same size, shape, and weight as the Pro 1 (it fits in the same bag); has all the same features and image quality; but adds fast response, larger and higher resolution displays, image stabilization, easier use of filters and hood, longer and wider focal length lens, and equally good, or better image quality.

I still have an FZ200; but the FZ300 has become my "Pro 3", and even though it has picked up about 3.5 oz. of bulk, it still fits in the same bag as the Pro 1 used.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M5 +1 more
arnoud venema
arnoud venema Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

My entry in the FZ-saga dates from the FZ2 (2003).

I choose the FZ2 for it's long, Leica lens and the extended possibilities (P A S M, compared to the FZ1)

It was succeeded by the FZ3 mainly for the ability of lossless photo's TIFF (which I never used in practice)

The FZ3 was succeeded by the FZ30 which had manual non-extending zoomlens, fully articulating LCD screen and RAW.

Then I made a trip to Fourthird with the L1, but my quality-need (prints) did not justify further investment.

So I returned to the FZ-range with the FZ82 which I use now for over 3 years.

If I have to indicate my sweet spot I hesitate between the manual zoom and articulating screen of the FZ30 versus the enormous reach of the lens and the ability to communicate with my smartphone (Image App) of the FZ82.

Arnoud

-- hide signature --

keep on shooting!

arnoud venema's gear list:arnoud venema's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,519

After many years spent shooting with film SLRs, my journey with this range of ‘digital’ bridge cameras began with the FZ20 back in 2004. What a fantastic lens that camera had, too. Alas, only 5mp on the sensor meant that rendering of fine fur an feather detail was already limited and the option to crop was almost nonexistent compared to what we can expect from more modern FZ incarnations that at least doubled the pixel count to 10 and later 12 million.

And to think in the days of the old FZ20, it was believed that 5mp was the absolute limit for the 1/2.3’’ sensor before overall image quality would be degraded by added noise and yet more smearing of fine detail than we saw from the 2004 model. Anywhere above ISO 200 and regardless of how ideal the light was or wasn’t at the time of shooting our photos, and the Venus Engine of the old 20 clearly struggled to cope as well as we see nowadays (awful results of the FZ80 at 1200mm aside, of course!)

I’d guess that anyone who ever used the 10mp FZ28 would find it hard not to appreciate how wrong those ‘experts’ were when they predicted anything above 5mp on the pinhead would be overkill. Compared even to the well regarded FZ20, IMO the 28 took FZ image quality to another level and arguably laid the foundations for much better things that followed.

Short of slow focussing compared to later models, the FZ28 rendered far more detail than I’d ever seen from the 20. It’s not that the 20 wasn’t impressive within its limits and in its day. But the 28 brought about a wake-up call in terms of what could be achieved through thought and development. All of a sudden, wildlife fans like me were able to crop our shots to levels that, to the same degrees, would have rendered FZ20 examples useful for nothing but thumbnail size website postings or comparatively poor to barely reasonable 6’’ x 4’’ prints. Half the sensor capacity of the 20 gave us 2.5mp. Half of the 28’s rendered 5mp, and the improvements in the processing engine were just as impressive to my eyes. Thank goodness that folks who work for the likes of DPR only write reviews and pass on their opinions of what may be good or bad ideas re products. Imagine if those guys who’d suggested that 5mp limit were actually camera designers and engineers rather than journalists merely interested in photography; progression of the pinhead sensor (and probably a whole lot more that’s come about since then) would have stalled way back in 2004. Persish that thought.

Anyway, I’d disagree that the later FZ38 wasn’t even better than the 28 in every way – including image quality. Admittedly in-camera default/factory-set IQ parameters were more aggressive re the 38 than the 28. But a tweak or and there brought about slight improvements that were well worth searching for in terms of added detail and slightly increased DR courtesy of the additional 2mp on the 38’s sensor. 12mp compared to 10mp in favour of the 38.

You’re certainly bang on re the focussing speed, though. The 38 saw real improvements in this area and which lasted through the 100, 150 and 200 before the introduction of the even speedier DFD tech seen in the 330. Luckily, burst rates and buffer/writing speeds progressed after the FZ38. In this regard, the 38 was just as slow as the 28 if memory serves me correctly and was my only real gripe with the camera. Slow bursts mean missed opportunities in the world of wildlife photography and, good though the 28’s and 38’s images were, both models were incapable of recording action beyond the odd frame here and there. Enter the much respected FZ150. Wow, what an improvement that brought to the game!

By the way, the 150’s lens went from F2.8 to F5.2 rather than the 2.8 to F4 you suggested. I got to know the 150 very well indeed and rated it very highly. Until the appearance of the FZ330, it was my favourite of all pinhead incarnations. Oh, those amazing images – such detail! Arguably the 150 represented the perfect marriage between sensor and processor in its time. It was a truly superb OOC Jpeg image renderer like no other beyond the current pinhead flagship FZ330 in my experience. Such a shame that the 150 didn’t receive the improved EVF that came with the FZ200, as arguably that would have made the older camera more appealing and user-friendly than it was in its day.

Moving on, I certainly agree that the FZ200 was the noisiest image renderer of all those models you mention. It didn’t matter how much I tweaked that camera, compared to the FZ150, the 200 was (is) a noise fest in every sense of the description. It does shoot relatively good and clean video though, so it’s not all bad. That said, the 200 did record more than a few images of which I’m very proud to have taken, albeit that OOC results always and annoyingly required some degree of PP. And in the absence of the quality to which I was accustomed to seeing from the FZ28, 38 and 150, I may have rated the FZ200 more highly than I do (or did).

All in all, including the FZ50 that I borrowed but did not rate enough to buy despite its slightly larger sensor, of the FZ20, 28, 38, 150, 200, 80 and 330 I have owned, the latter is my clear favourite. (For balance, the 80 is my least favourite. It's by far the worst bridge camera I have ever used in terms of OOC Jpeg results and especially at full 1200mm where it struggles the most to render 'MY' higher standards of fine detail retention.)

With no hint of exaggeration, I view the 330 as the pinnacle of the whole pinhead FZ series. I cannot imagine how Panasonic could ever improve upon its design, feature set, the wonderful way in which it handles and the comparatively fantastic images that the 330 renders straight from its Jpeg processor. If ever any FZ was destined to become a genuine classic camera from the moment it was designed, it is surely the FZ330.

For me, although not entirely perfect due mainly to DFD AF technology that hits and misses in some scenarios, the FZ330 offers the most complete and user-friendly package in any bridge camera available at or near its current RRP. Not bad for a model that’s already been in production for six whole years and shows no sign of being replaced or upgraded by its manufacturer. Ultimately, this is one fantastic camera for the money we pay for it.

And if the 330’s the last pinhead sensor flagship model of its kind that we ever get to see from its designers, Panasonic can and should be very proud that they manufactured the best bang for the buck bridge camera ever to hit the retail market for around £400. What a bargain buy it is!

Moving to the heavier and larger 1” sensor varieties, I rate the FZ2000 above the other two models in the current Panasonic range. Now that the 2000’s heavily discounted from its original RRP of £1099, it represents truly excellent value for money, with my only gripes being no weather sealing and its increased size and weight compared to the FZ330. In terms of output though, the FZ2000 is utterly superb, and the more I use it, the more I like and appreciate just how brilliant this camera really is. And it IS simply brilliant!

So, for me, the FZ330’s king of the Pinhead range and the FZ2000’s the most appealing of the 1inch models, so much so that I recently bought two of them over either the FZ1000 or 1000 2, which I tested side by side before choosing.

Bottom line, I could not rate the FZ330 or FZ2000 any higher than I do. They’re both utterly superb and outstanding in their own individual and different sectors of the market and thus represent a double ‘sweet-spot’ for all my current photography requirements from wildlife through other genres in which I occasonally dabble.

Happy shooting to ya.

Cheers...

Stevie,

You got into the FZ models well before I did.  My earlier superzoom cameras were the S3IS and S5IS.   However, the SX10IS failed to correct the colored fringes in the earlier models, and I ventured into the world of FZ's; starting with the FZ28.  Although I was recently gifted with a clean FZ18, and would have liked that better than the SX10IS or the S5IS.

My preference for the FZ28 over the FZ35 was due to the dreaded "frog spawn" artifacts that were worse on the FZ35.

But then they gave us the wonderful FZ150!  I never found the f/5.2 lens to be a problem; particularly since the lens was around f/4 at 500 mm.  However, the EVF was low resolution and the weak point of the design.

And so I tried the FZ200.  I don't normally buy the first of a new model, as they often have manufacturing issues early on; but I bought the FZ200 in late July of 2012.  And thus began my love-hate relationship with the FZ200.  That early version was, as you say, noisy, and my FZ150 was clearly better.  Still, it was the FZ200 that traveled with us to the Galapagos Islands in October of 2012.  By that time I had figured out the settings to use, although they were quite different than my previous FZ's.  After that trip, I sold the FZ200 #1 and in December tried again with #2.  It was just like #1, and was returned and I continued to use my FZ150.  Then in May of 2013, I tried again with the FZ200 #3.  That was the ticket.  It liked the same settings as my FZ150, and gave equally good images with the same level of noise and I used that camera for several years.  Later, I bought FZ200 #4, made in China.  It was very much like #3; but exposures were about 1/3 stop darker than Japan made #3.  I eventually sold off #4, and carried on without an FZ200.  But I like the camera, and in a weak moment bought a used, Japan made FZ200 #5.  It turned out to be the photographic twin of #3, and I still have it.

The FZ300 was purchased in 2017 and went on a small boat trip in Alaska's "panhandle" region.  Not a lot of sun on that trip, and many days of at least part rain.  The FZ300 was perfect; but my images were disappointing.  Since I had FZ200 #5; I gave the FZ300 to a friend who was going to Alaska with his wife to celebrate his retirement.  And now in 2021, I have a new FZ300.  I didn't think #1 was bad or faulty; but #2 is better in terms of color rendition and noise.  And where FZ300 #1 was very close in image quality to FZ200 #5, FZ300 #2 is somewhat better.  And so, I agree with you that an FZ300 is the best of all my small sensor FZ's.

So far, this has all been about my adventures with small sensor FZ models.  However, I did buy an FZ1000 is 2015.  It was to be my travel camera, leaving my Canon 70D at home.  It did very well on a group tour in central California, and especially so at Yosemite.  I am now on FZ1000 #2, and it is a twin to #1, except that I don't see any of the deep purple central spots that occasionally showed up on scenics from #1.  How good is FZ1000 #2?  Good enough that I no longer have a DSLR.

I almost forgot.  I do have an FZ80.  It needs the same strange non-typical settings as FZ200 #1.  I live on a large pond, and the FZ80 is used solely for shots of waterfowl on the far side of the pond.  I share your feelings about this model.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

arnoud venema
arnoud venema Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

I forgot to mention the 20mm wide on the FZ82, which is great for indoor photography!

Arnoud

-- hide signature --

keep on shooting!

arnoud venema's gear list:arnoud venema's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,963

I've only had two FZs as my reference points:

• FZ150: Great camera for my introduction into the series. I avoided the sensor issues of the FZ100 and learned that Lumix offered feature-rich cameras with better performance for less money than the competition. 
  • FZ200: Purchase to replace the FZ150. Who wouldn't want the same camera with a full-range f/2.8 lens? A better EVF and improved performance were just icing. I always wished Panasonic had offered a DFD firmware upgrade or at least one that remembered your preferred focus box size and position, but I guess the only option is buying the FZ300... 
-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
OP jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,534

arnoud venema wrote:

My entry in the FZ-saga dates from the FZ2 (2003).

I choose the FZ2 for it's long, Leica lens and the extended possibilities (P A S M, compared to the FZ1)

You were a FZ pionner

... and a "selfie" mirror pionner too !

The FZ30 (and FZ50) must have been (are) quite amazing.

I was and still am astonished by the IQ the Leica lens in the early FZ (FZ28 and FZ35, for me).

-- hide signature --

-JF

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 17,172

I still rate the FZ50, I’ve bought and sold a few. Recently bought one for conversion to IR but, having spotted and bought a ready converted GF1, I shall now just keep it for occasional use. The FZ50’s colour rendition I find very attractive.

Worst FZ out of several I progressed through, the FZ100, just plain noisy. The FZ150 was a massive step up from the FZ100. The FZ200, with its constant f2.8 lens, allowed better shutter speeds at 600mm and I thought it a step up from the FZ150.

Enter the FZ330, one of the few cameras I bought early in its lifecycle and full price. I used it extensively but sold it a couple of years ago because I was spending too much time on PP having not made the switch to RAW. However, the FZ330 was the pinnacle for me: fast in operation, fast lens, great EVF, effective weathersealing and not too big or heavy.

Although I was firmly down the M43 track, tempted by an exceptional double special offer price, I did buy an FZ2000. IQ OOC was OK but the body was simply too big and the fully extended lens at switch on made it unwieldy. So, I sold it after trying it for several months and on a couple of holidays. I’m not surprised that offer prices are now low.

So, the FZ330 is still top of the tree and, if I spot one at good price, I might yet buy another.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +10 more

Stuart,

I just recently bought a new FZ300.  I don't still have the first one, so I can't do side by side comparison's; but the second one seems to me to be better in color and maybe a bit in noise.

As long as these cameras have been in production, I'd expect some running changes.  A small thing perhaps; but my second FZ300 did not come with the same charger as the first one.  USA cameras came with a charger with folding prongs to be plugged directly into an outlet.  The new one came with a wall power supply with fixed prongs, a changing cradle for the cell, and a cable to connect the two.  Probably related to the ability to charge the battery in-camera.  The point being that running changes are made and two examples several years apart can be different.  We certainly found that with early vs late FZ200's.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 17,172

Thanks Gerald. I trust you are well in this testing time.

FZ330 prices here, on the eBay Panasonic outlet, got down to £299 about  12 months ago, now they’re £349 or more.  Prices generally have hardened. I do have many Panasonics, mostly M43, and still carry the TZ60 just in case. The LX7 is used mainly for eBay sale images. So, adding an FZ330 will require the lure of a good price.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads