monitor for photo editing: Benq PD2700U or EW3270U

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
karmNL New Member • Posts: 10
monitor for photo editing: Benq PD2700U or EW3270U

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which of these are better for photo editing and color grading. Which of these has the most accurate colors?

I've been reading and looking on the internet, and both have good reviews.

The PD series of Benq seems to be the professional one and is Calman verified. That means that is has accurate color for professionals. But the EW3270U, that is an entertainment/gaming monitor, has a much wider color range.

The EW3270U covers 88% of the adobeRGB range, while the PD2700U only has 70%. On top of that the EW covers 95% of the DCI P3 range. Here's a review i read about the EW: https://frankdoorhof.com/web/2019/05/benq-ew3270u-and-what-is-p3-for-you/

The EW is about a 100 buck cheaper and its much bigger, which is nice but not nessecary. But still cheaper.

So which one would you guys choose, the professional one or the one that has a wider color range. I have a Spyder to calibrate the monitor. And am using it as a hobby for now, but getting much more serious with it. So am thinking future proof.

Hope someone has some good advice or a bit of knowledge about the color ranges of these monitors and how accurate they really are.

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,601
Re: monitor for photo editing: Benq PD2700U or EW3270U

karmNL wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which of these are better for photo editing and color grading. Which of these has the most accurate colors?

I've been reading and looking on the internet, and both have good reviews.

The PD series of Benq seems to be the professional one and is Calman verified. That means that is has accurate color for professionals. But the EW3270U, that is an entertainment/gaming monitor, has a much wider color range.

The EW3270U covers 88% of the adobeRGB range, while the PD2700U only has 70%. On top of that the EW covers 95% of the DCI P3 range. Here's a review i read about the EW: https://frankdoorhof.com/web/2019/05/benq-ew3270u-and-what-is-p3-for-you/

The EW is about a 100 buck cheaper and its much bigger, which is nice but not nessecary. But still cheaper.

So which one would you guys choose, the professional one or the one that has a wider color range. I have a Spyder to calibrate the monitor. And am using it as a hobby for now, but getting much more serious with it. So am thinking future proof.

Hope someone has some good advice or a bit of knowledge about the color ranges of these monitors and how accurate they really are.

If you want to get into serious editing with accurate colours, you'd need a monitor with hardware calibration - neither of these can, as they don't have LUTs: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/156980858

The EW3270U is a MVA panel, good for watching movies (deeper blacks, higher contrast ratios), but not good for colour accurate editing.

If you want a BenQ, look at their PV series for video grading: https://www.benq.com/en-ap/monitor/video-post-production.html , and their SW-series for photo editing: https://www.benq.com/en-ap/monitor/photographer.html

Better brands would be Nec and Eizo.

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
OP karmNL New Member • Posts: 10

Ok thnx for your reply,

Maybe i should look for a SW then. Iam on a budget of 500euro. The cheapest SW is an option. But its only full hd. Plus a little extra cause of it 19:10 ratio

Does anyone have any information on resolution? I rather have a QHD or UHD screen. I hear different storys about this. Some claim that on 4k edited photos can look bad on HD screens and the other way around its not the case. And something with sharpening on 4k is a thing?

Someone experience, info, opinions?

karmNL wrote:

Ok thnx for your reply,

Maybe i should look for a SW then. Iam on a budget of 500euro. The cheapest SW is an option. But its only full hd. Plus a little extra cause of it 19:10 ratio

Does anyone have any information on resolution? I rather have a QHD or UHD screen. I hear different storys about this. Some claim that on 4k edited photos can look bad on HD screens and the other way around its not the case. And something with sharpening on 4k is a thing?

Someone experience, info, opinions?

It really depends, given your budget, what your priorities are: colour accuracy, high resolution (which is nice if you use it not just for photo/video editing), etc.

What do you (want to) do with your processed photos (and videos): print (for yourself or sell), 'just' watch on your own monitor, share online, etc?

PS: which Spyder do you have?

Nikon Coolpix P7800
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,289

I have two SW240 1920x1200 screens.  The resolution is perfectly adequate for me at my 18" or so viewing distance.  No pixels visible.

Do people that love smaller 4K screens ever compare them to lower, but good, resolution screens?

With bigger screens, it's even more interesting, since you need to sit further away, which means the value of 4K diminishes fast.  I guess some folks may sit close, but then it's difficult to take in an entire full screen image, since the human eye's high resolution angle of view just isn't wide enough, about 6 degrees, according to Wikipedia.  So you need to do a lot of scanning of a large, close image, which gets in the way of interpreting the whole.

Iam planning on printing to sell. so i think im better of with a monitor that can display AdobeRGB. For now i have my eyes on the BenqSW240.

But will check the other brands too, before i make definite desision.

I have the spyder4, is it any good?

Ok thanks for your reply, i think iam going with a decent AdobeRGB fullHD monitor.

Still not sure wich one.

thnx

karmNL wrote:

Iam planning on printing to sell. so i think im better of with a monitor that can display AdobeRGB. For now i have my eyes on the BenqSW240.

But will check the other brands too, before i make definite desision.

I have the spyder4, is it any good?

Spyder4 is not supported anymore by Datacolor anymore, see e.g.: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64698747

Which OS are you on?

Nikon Coolpix P7800

iam on windows 10

karmNL wrote:

iam on windows 10

32-bit or 64-bit?

Nikon Coolpix P7800

windows 10 64bit

and i have nvidia gtx970

still not 100% sure if my GPU supports 10bit monitor?

karmNL wrote:

still not 100% sure if my GPU supports 10bit monitor?

Reading the comments discussion under this article https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Setting-Graphics-Card-Software-to-Display-10-bit-Output-1221/

I get the impression that you only get 10-bit colour for DirectX (gaming) programs, not for OpenGL photo editing programs, but I'm no expert on this (at all).

Nikon Coolpix P7800

karmNL wrote:

windows 10 64bit

and i have nvidia gtx970

Looking at what I referred to earlier, Spyder4 latest version uses 32-bit software...

Have you tried it on your 64-bit system?

PS: he did say though: "You can run the Spyder4 inside free DisplayCal software"

Nikon Coolpix P7800

I have used it on my current display and it worked, it calibrated as good as it could on my cheap monitor.

Ok only directX, so can AdobeRGB be fully displayed in 8bit? Any clue?

Thnx

karmNL wrote:

I have used it on my current display and it worked, it calibrated as good as it could on my cheap monitor.

Thnx

A quick search gave me this as a, I think, good answer: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50272554

Nikon Coolpix P7800

karmNL wrote:

Thnx

PS: here some reflections on if one really need Adobe RGB:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64321278

Nikon Coolpix P7800

Haha yeah thnx, could have done that myself ofcourse.

But you seem like a person with a lot of knowledge.

So it was the answers i was looking for, thats good.

I orderd the benq sw240 and will try to get the 10bit in opengl out of it with my gtx970, will post if it al works.

Thnx everyone.

karmNL wrote:

Haha yeah thnx, could have done that myself ofcourse.

But you seem like a person with a lot of knowledge.

Not really, just proficient with google

So it was the answers i was looking for, thats good.

I orderd the benq sw240 and will try to get the 10bit in opengl out of it with my gtx970, will post if it al works.

Sukses !

Thnx everyone.

Nikon Coolpix P7800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads