New GM lens around the corner

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 529
New GM lens around the corner

Just watched the DPRTV Z 7II review and at the end a lineup of the high-res bodies for the next video is shown with the Sony's lens blurred. I wonder which lens it is, the 35mm GM or 16mm GM. Red badge and aperture ring looks good.

Announcement of the lens within the next week?

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +12 more
UConn140point6 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: New GM lens around the corner

Good find. It looks very similar to the 24 1.4 so hopefully it is. Looking forward to getting this lens.

bigtourist
bigtourist New Member • Posts: 17

Great catch. Looks like its a 67mm thread and 27cm MFD (~.2x mag? if 35mm)

Size looks somewhere between the Z 24-70 and the RF 24-105

bigtourist's gear list:bigtourist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Panasonic G85 +6 more
OP moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 529

You might be right that it is the 35mm GM. The lens hood does not look like UWA.

If it is on par with the other latest Sony lenses (sharpness, coma, flare) I might get it instead of the Sigma 35mm 1.2 and 2.0 to replace my 1.4 Art. I'm very excited.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +12 more
Malling Forum Member • Posts: 93

Looks like the seize of a 35mm fast prime.

I’m still waiting for that 16mm as I’m considering getting that or the 20mm as it would be cheaper than the 12-24gm or 16-35gm and smaller and lighter too, but I’m expecting a price at little over the 24mm that will drop down around that range after 6months or so.

Nice to see an aperture ring.

67 filter so the same as the 20 and 24, that’s on the small seize for a 16mm 1.8

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,162

It's definitely not the 16/1.8 IMO. That would likely have a shorter MFD (in line with the 20/1.8 G), and/or a petal hood*, and/or a larger filter thread than 67mm (unless they go for Laowa levels of vignetting, but since it's a GM I'm guessing they'll aim to do better there).

* (although this could be a pre-production or disguise, but that seems unlikely with the GM badge hanging out in the open)

35/1.4 GM seems likely, didn't SAR comment it'd be slightly larger than the 24 GM? That could've been wild speculation but going off this pic it seems probable. I'm gonna guess that at best they'll price match the Sigma f1.2 DN... So $100 more than the 24 GM. Personally I hope they price it higher still so I'm not even tempted.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +27 more

Malling wrote:

I’m still waiting for that 16mm as I’m considering getting that or the 20mm as it would be cheaper than the 12-24gm or 16-35gm and smaller and lighter too, but I’m expecting a price at little over the 24mm that will drop down around that range after 6months or so.

67 filter so the same as the 20 and 24, that’s on the small seize for a 16mm 1.8

Yeah I'd expect something like 77mm (at least) on a 16/1.8 (see: Laowa 15/2), and a much shorter MFD in line with the 20/1.8 and other recent fast UWAs. I'm really loving the 20/1.8 G, and I'm waiting for the 16/1.8 GM as well but I think they might price it above what I'm willing to pay; so I might settle for something like the Laowa. 15mm would be a better FL complement to my 17-28 anyway. Still wanna see what the GM brings tho...

Panasonic GX850 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +27 more

Impulses wrote:

Malling wrote:

Yeah I'd expect something like 77mm (at least) on a 16/1.8 (see: Laowa 15/2), and a much shorter MFD in line with the 20/1.8 and other recent fast UWAs. I'm really loving the 20/1.8 G, and I'm waiting for the 16/1.8 GM as well but I think they might price it above what I'm willing to pay; so I might settle for something like the Laowa. 15mm would be a better FL complement to my 17-28 anyway. Still wanna see what the GM brings tho...

Exactly I would be surprised if it smaller than 77mm, even that would be on the smaller seize, I’ll expect it to be 82mm this will make it possible to get a very high quality that doesn’t suffer from bad vignetting.

RE Alpha
RE Alpha Contributing Member • Posts: 718

According to Sony Alpha Rumours the new 35/1.4 GM will be announced this upcoming Wednesday.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/confirmed-sony-35mm-f-1-4-gm-lens-will-be-announced-on-january-13-at-1500-london-time/

RE Alpha's gear list:RE Alpha's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +6 more
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,641

Impulses wrote:

It's definitely not the 16/1.8 IMO. That would likely have a shorter MFD (in line with the 20/1.8 G), and/or a petal hood*, and/or a larger filter thread than 67mm (unless they go for Laowa levels of vignetting, but since it's a GM I'm guessing they'll aim to do better there).

* (although this could be a pre-production or disguise, but that seems unlikely with the GM badge hanging out in the open)

35/1.4 GM seems likely, didn't SAR comment it'd be slightly larger than the 24 GM? That could've been wild speculation but going off this pic it seems probable. I'm gonna guess that at best they'll price match the Sigma f1.2 DN... So $100 more than the 24 GM. Personally I hope they price it higher still so I'm not even tempted.

Ho hum. A reasonably compact 16mm at a reasonable price point would be more intriguing.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more

Euell wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Ho hum. A reasonably compact 16mm at a reasonable price point would be more intriguing.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

Jb502 Contributing Member • Posts: 585

Its not around the corner.  Its here!

Jb502's gear list:Jb502's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7S III GoPro Hero8 Black GoPro Hero9 Black Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +8 more

Jb502 wrote:

Its not around the corner. Its here!

Now move on to more important stuff, when can we expect to see the 16mm GM.

This is just basically an update of the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35 it weren’t really a missing piece but it’s nice Sony finally started updating their lenses and this means shrinking the seize of it. The lens look exactly like the original almost down to the smallest detail except that it’s smaller 67mm vs 72...

the biggest plus besides improve IQ, is that all the confusing naming goes away... It where really a mess with the Zeiss lenses that both covered the G and GM level spectrum and in some cases even below those. I’m really looking forward to the day when Sony Zeiss is no more!

Häakon Regular Member • Posts: 137

bigtourist wrote:

That timestamp doesn't even exist in the video.

Häakon wrote:

bigtourist wrote:

That timestamp doesn't even exist in the video.

Haha, it absolutely did and DPR ninja edited after they realized their goof up; there was a whole extra scene teasing this week's video comparing high end FF bodies before, we didn't make this up. There's even slightly different stills of the scene on the SAR comments.

I guess that confirms it was a simple mistake and a badly done blur on their part (people on SAR were going kinda nuts about how the blur was intentionally bad and other nonsense).

arneh Regular Member • Posts: 156

Malling wrote:

Jb502 wrote:

Its not around the corner. Its here!

This is just basically an update of the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35 it weren’t really a missing piece but it’s nice Sony finally started updating their lenses and this means shrinking the seize of it. The lens look exactly like the original almost down to the smallest detail except that it’s smaller 67mm vs 72...

It looks exactly like the old ZA lens because that is an image of the old ZA lens!

The new one looks more like the 24 GM.

arneh's gear list:arneh's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R III Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads