Let's take a look on the original R5 teardown post

Started Aug 20, 2020 | Discussions
Kelvin_Woooo Junior Member • Posts: 44
Let's take a look on the original R5 teardown post

Hi guys, I am a guy from Hong Kong, my mother tongue is Traditional Chinese and English is my secondary language, please do mind if you see any bad grammar or sentence.

What I want to say is we really need to take a look on the original post of the entire teardown thing. As I can read simplified Chinese, I found the EOSHD theory is nonsense and they intentionally OMITTING FACTS

On 30-July-2020, a guy from China teardown an R5

http://c.tieba.baidu.com/p/6848700307?pn=1

Which started the entire Canon fake R5 overheat event.

However, on 3-Aug-2020, op posted below 2 photo

http://c.tieba.baidu.com/p/6848700307?pn=5

the 1mm thick aluminum plate

And said the following

这个是在电源板和cpu 内存颗粒之间的1mm厚度的铝片 之前没有拍出来
被你们理解成电源板之间贴cpu上
实际上中间有一个铝片的

In English, it means

"This is a 1mm thick aluminum plate set between the power supply PCB and the CPU RAM section, before I forget to show it and you guys misunderstand that the CPU is stick right onto power supply PCB, the fact is there is a aluminum plate"

If you look carefully, there you go, the missing thermal pad that so much people, especially EOSHD use to claim that Canon is intentionally making the R5 overheat.

Some may think this is not enough but given the size of the camera and the tilting screen, IBIS and all that kind of stuff, Canon in fact has not much option here, just think like you are trying to build a ITX PC with a really small size case, and don't forget the screen actually created from some space that is caved inward to the body.

And for the timer thing, in the OP from China, some of them suggested that the so called "timer" is a temperature base, their theory is based on the cooling time (or overheat lockdown) is shorten after using higher thermal conductivity thermal paste, if it is software base, it would not change.

Then on 10-Aug-2020,

EOSHD comes out and say Canon is cheating his customers and WITHOUT a single word mentioning the complete finding of the OP. Personally, this make EOSHD become a source that is not trustworthy

All the way until now,

For what I have observed so far, they never ever giving out any kind of solid details on how they test, something that is really important for people to verify their result, for example, the source code of their "App", or the working apk file for people to DIY testing, (In modern days, videos or picture can be created easily to fake someone)

I found one thing interesting with EOSHD's claim is that they always compare the temperature to something stationary, like desktop PC. But the fact is R5 is a camera designed to be held with our hand, 50C may sounds like not a big problem but there is many fact that such temperature could cause contact burn, (there is even a way to cook with low temperature), it is something made for human, so we should make consideration with human standard, let alone the fact that even a modern Intel/AMD CPU cannot withstand 90C for a long period. The fact is the camera overheated is not because they want to protect the machine, but protect the user.

And after today Fridge test thing, seriously? One of the selling point for some high-end Olympus camera in Hong Kong for their durability is COLD WEATHER RESISTANT, honestly I really think the test result is once again proofing R5 is a durable machine.

All a sudden, R5 become the biggest lie Canon ever made simply because of a website that never shows any full picture of any event, from teardown to so called "test".

Off topic a little bit, in my point of view, Canon only did one thing wrong.

I have a Sony RX0 II, it is well-known that this little thing will overheat with the 4K pretty easily, on that tiny little thing Sony has give people a option to allow the RX0 II stop with a higher temperature, they did this by showing a warning on the screen that tells me I may risk getting my hand hurt. And this is what the R5 really missing.

Kelvin_Woooo's gear list:Kelvin_Woooo's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +8 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
traderjay
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Let's take a look on the original R5 teardown post

Thank you! I know EOSHD (canon should sue them for trademark infringement) is full of sh*t. Sounds like a whiny kid. I have no engineering background but spend the last 15 years around cutting edge semiconductor and can still infer that this POS site is just a clickbait.

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || NVIDIA RTX 2080ti

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,782

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,739
Can you please translate some new Chinese posts?

There's a new set of posts on Baidu referenced by a new EOSHD article indicating an R5 was returned to full video-time availability after a shutdown by removing the internal clock battery. Doing so would erase the NVRAM, which the firmware is likely using to store state variables in the management of the thermal algorithm. One experiment i proposed a while back was to remove the battery while the camera was on, since most cameras only update NVRAM during an orderly shutdown (for performance and integrity reasons) - you can see evidence of this on other cameras by abruptly removing the battery and noticing how the camera didn't save the configuration/exposure changes from that power-on session.

Unfortunately Canon camera's including the R5 have a latch detector on the battery door that forces an orderly shutdown whenever the battery door is open. The only way around this would be to defeat that latch before powering-up the camera so that the battery can be removed to force an abrupt shutdown.

Anyway, here's a link to the Baidu thread:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6891962890?see_lz=1&pn=0&fbclid=IwAR0CCaTWm_xFXAFyePLSuCcCQK7jyWygEtwNvS_xoMyrpY5QT2K_H1qZNSo&

And a link to the Google-translated version:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ftieba.baidu.com%2Fp%2F6891962890%3Fsee_lz%3D1%26pn%3D0%26fbclid%3DIwAR0CCaTWm_xFXAFyePLSuCcCQK7jyWygEtwNvS_xoMyrpY5QT2K_H1qZNSo%26

OP Kelvin_Woooo Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Can you please translate some new Chinese posts?

If you look at 24th post, you can see clearly that when he remove the battery the machine is returned to around 30C.

As this action reset everything, it is absolutely normal that the R5 can shoot after removing battery as the heat protection is forced off as R5 can work at 30C.

But this entire post is not the way that as EOSHD claims as Canon is a largest lier in the world, OP only stated that there is software controlling the cooling. But this cannot implies anything, for a heat protection mechanism it is common to see a threshold to release the protection (even for your computer or smartphone), which means the protection will wait until the machine cool down to a specific temperature or set some cool down time for the machine. IMO, EOSHD is using taking advantage of some people who do not have any kind of engineering/programming background.

Moreover, even inside that post people as stating that the temperature you see on the thermal imaging is usually lower than the actual temperature as the surface temperature and reflection rate affect the measurement. For example, one photo is showing that the sensor is about 50C hot, but the fact is in front of that sensor there will be a piece of glass which makes the actual temperature is likely around 60C, which is dangerously close to T-junction of modern sensors, do not forget R5 have a weather sealed body that meant to resist cold weather, such resistance also traps heat inside the body as conductivity is applied for inward and outward.

But with all these photo, one thing consistent is that the temperature inside the machine goes beyond 50C, and again, R5 is made to hand-held, if it really allows to heat up to rather high temperature, then I guess we will see post around today with title EOS R5 burn my hand.

edit1:

The fact is there is a lot of engineering decision here, and there is no perfect answer to a single problem, only a better answer, and if you have any product design experience, it is not hard to see for the heat issue, the decision is made around keeping user safe

Sony DSC-RX0 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +8 more
Andrew_EOSHD
Andrew_EOSHD New Member • Posts: 16

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

Hi guys, I am a guy from Hong Kong, my mother tongue is Traditional Chinese and English is my secondary language, please do mind if you see any bad grammar or sentence.

What I want to say is we really need to take a look on the original post of the entire teardown thing. As I can read simplified Chinese, I found the EOSHD theory is nonsense and they intentionally OMITTING FACTS

And said the following

被你们理解成电源板之间贴cpu上
实际上中间有一个铝片的

In English, it means

"This is a 1mm thick aluminum plate set between the power supply PCB and the CPU RAM section, before I forget to show it and you guys misunderstand that the CPU is stick right onto power supply PCB, the fact is there is a aluminum plate"

If you look carefully, there you go, the missing thermal pad that so much people, especially EOSHD use to claim that Canon is intentionally making the R5 overheat.

Some may think this is not enough but given the size of the camera and the tilting screen, IBIS and all that kind of stuff, Canon in fact has not much option here, just think like you are trying to build a ITX PC with a really small size case, and don't forget the screen actually created from some space that is caved inward to the body.

And for the timer thing, in the OP from China, some of them suggested that the so called "timer" is a temperature base, their theory is based on the cooling time (or overheat lockdown) is shorten after using higher thermal conductivity thermal paste, if it is software base, it would not change.

Then on 10-Aug-2020,

EOSHD comes out and say Canon is cheating his customers and WITHOUT a single word mentioning the complete finding of the OP. Personally, this make EOSHD become a source that is not trustworthy

All the way until now,

For what I have observed so far, they never ever giving out any kind of solid details on how they test, something that is really important for people to verify their result, for example, the source code of their "App", or the working apk file for people to DIY testing, (In modern days, videos or picture can be created easily to fake someone)

I found one thing interesting with EOSHD's claim is that they always compare the temperature to something stationary, like desktop PC. But the fact is R5 is a camera designed to be held with our hand, 50C may sounds like not a big problem but there is many fact that such temperature could cause contact burn, (there is even a way to cook with low temperature), it is something made for human, so we should make consideration with human standard, let alone the fact that even a modern Intel/AMD CPU cannot withstand 90C for a long period. The fact is the camera overheated is not because they want to protect the machine, but protect the user.

And after today Fridge test thing, seriously? One of the selling point for some high-end Olympus camera in Hong Kong for their durability is COLD WEATHER RESISTANT, honestly I really think the test result is once again proofing R5 is a durable machine.

All a sudden, R5 become the biggest lie Canon ever made simply because of a website that never shows any full picture of any event, from teardown to so called "test".

I have a Sony RX0 II, it is well-known that this little thing will overheat with the 4K pretty easily, on that tiny little thing Sony has give people a option to allow the RX0 II stop with a higher temperature, they did this by showing a warning on the screen that tells me I may risk getting my hand hurt. And this is what the R5 really missing.

Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminium. This is why the heat-pipe in your laptop or smartphone is made of copper.

The aluminium plate in the Chinese tear-down is an electrical emissions shield.

I was aware of the plate from the Google translation and images. Thanks.

It does not effectively transport heat from the main processor to the magnesium alloy chassis nor is it optimally designed to. The primary purpose is to stop interference between the CPU / RAM and the PCB on top of it.

The PCB I believe is an IC board.

If you believe otherwise, please correct me.

tifa3 Regular Member • Posts: 167

EOSHD is full of crap and that Andrew guy is a troll that just wants clicks. Canon should sue him for his false posts.

Poefolk Regular Member • Posts: 193

tifa3 wrote:

EOSHD is full of crap and that Andrew guy is a troll that just wants clicks. Canon should sue him for his false posts.

LOL!  I think Canon can handle it.

Poefolk's gear list:Poefolk's gear list
Fujifilm XP90 Sony a1 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,655

tifa3 wrote:

You can thank him later when you get a firmware update that addresses some issues.

I don't understand why people get so worked up and have to defend a company that has been pretty quiet about this hoping it will go away.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6

Poefolk wrote:

tifa3 wrote:

LOL! I think Canon can handle it.

I agree!

https://www.canonrumors.com/2019-global-camera-market-share-numbers-are-out-canon-leads-the-way/

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

trungtran wrote:

tifa3 wrote:

You can thank him later when you get a firmware update that addresses some issues.

I don't understand why people get so worked up and have to defend a company that has been pretty quiet about this hoping it will go away.

Canon Rumors said there would be a FW update to address heating. They also said don't expect too much.

-- hide signature --

Andrew_EOSHD wrote:

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

And said the following

被你们理解成电源板之间贴cpu上
实际上中间有一个铝片的

In English, it means

Then on 10-Aug-2020,

All the way until now,

Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminium. This is why the heat-pipe in your laptop or smartphone is made of copper.

It does not effectively transport heat from the main processor to the magnesium alloy chassis nor is it optimally designed to. The primary purpose is to stop interference between the CPU / RAM and the PCB on top of it.

I have been reading about aluminum vs copper and heat pipes. How much more time would that buy in a small enclosure. 10 minutes or 2 hours?

-

rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,984

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

Also with respect to sinking there could be a case made that Canon didn't want too good of thermal conductivity between the hot sources and the external shell because of low-temperature burning. Kind of a damned if you and damned if you don't.

the processor isn't going to run at 90C .. the claims it should are just flipping stupid. I'd love to see someone run their desktop PC and jack the CPU up to 90C and then grab onto the heat sink for 20 minutes.

Then you have the fact that if you spread the heat out onto the aluminum plate there, you accomplish nothing really - because it's a closed air system - it is is a radiator.  heat sinks work because there's usually convection and/or forced air running over the surface.

Andrew_EOSHD wrote:

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

And said the following

被你们理解成电源板之间贴cpu上
实际上中间有一个铝片的

In English, it means

Then on 10-Aug-2020,

All the way until now,

First of all, this is not what I believe but it is fact.

Second, thank you for admitting that PCB is some IC board, which shows you did  not read through or really understand the OP and you just make a post on something based on Google translation, (Most of the translate so far cannot handle Chinese language well) because in the Chinese post they already determined it as power supply board, not some IC board. Also, thank you for admitting that you are INTENTIONALLY OMITTING A FACT that you are AWARE OF. Moreover, the OP in baidu did tell people that thermal pad is attached to it, which means it serve as heat dissipation parts. For the EM shielding thing, simply that plate is not enough as it did not encase the whole CPU RAM component.

Third, please kindly explain why aluminium is used on even some really high end CPU cooler like Noctua NH-D15 inside my desktop, they made up more than 70% of the thing, does Noctua or any CPU cooler maker need to come clean on this? STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE ON PEOPLE who have less experience or knowledge on things like these, aluminium good to do the heat dissipation job.

Moreover, EOS R5 is a weather-sealed camera, and I strongly believe this includes cold weather, if there is really a lot of heat pipe to transport heat to the body, how would you stop heat being transferred to the CPU when the camera is sunbathing, it is basic physics and conductivity conduct both ways, in and out.

Oh, by the way, can you hold a hot tea pot with your bare hand for 10 mins?

trungtran wrote:

tifa3 wrote:

I am not defending the company, but I really hate to see someone is basically cheating or lying to someone who may have less experience or knowledge, and they just proved to me that they do not fully understand the post and making up things. (edit1: "they" refer to EOSHD)

Most importantly, the way EOSHD did is keep making up false question, which all answer is biased to say Canon is bad, like the fridge test, which no matter the result, Canon will still be damned. (If the heat does remove with fridge, they can claim the weather-sealing is weak and not cold resistance).

Last but not least, even Canon did make firmware updates, why would it be related to EOSHD, but not Youtube and all those Youtuber.

traderjay
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 466

LOL WOW...EOSHD is so full of SH*T to be cooking up BS article based on google translate from Chinese to English. It shows how low his credibility is. If he really wants to redeem any credibility (none to speak of), he should pay a certified translator and an actual electronics engineer to do a thorough analysis of the board - someone like this guy who has in depth board and component level knowledge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IS2XEl3qXo

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || NVIDIA RTX 2080ti

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more

rrc1967 wrote:

Kelvin_Woooo wrote:

Also with respect to sinking there could be a case made that Canon didn't want too good of thermal conductivity between the hot sources and the external shell because of low-temperature burning. Kind of a damned if you and damned if you don't.

the processor isn't going to run at 90C .. the claims it should are just flipping stupid. I'd love to see someone run their desktop PC and jack the CPU up to 90C and then grab onto the heat sink for 20 minutes.

Then you have the fact that if you spread the heat out onto the aluminum plate there, you accomplish nothing really - because it's a closed air system - it is is a radiator. heat sinks work because there's usually convection and/or forced air running over the surface.

EOSHD claimed that only overheating with 90C+ is acceptable, and I also agree it is stupid.

As you are correct, for a sealed body like R5, all the heat is trapped inside the machine and no matter how, it will eventually overheat, the only thing it helps is how much buffer we have until the machine is overheated

Stu T Forum Member • Posts: 51

Horshack wrote:

There's a new set of posts on Baidu referenced by a new EOSHD article indicating an R5 was returned to full video-time availability after a shutdown by removing the internal clock battery. Doing so would erase the NVRAM, which the firmware is likely using to store state variables in the management of the thermal algorithm. One experiment i proposed a while back was to remove the battery while the camera was on, since most cameras only update NVRAM during an orderly shutdown (for performance and integrity reasons) - you can see evidence of this on other cameras by abruptly removing the battery and noticing how the camera didn't save the configuration/exposure changes from that power-on session.

Unfortunately Canon camera's including the R5 have a latch detector on the battery door that forces an orderly shutdown whenever the battery door is open. The only way around this would be to defeat that latch before powering-up the camera so that the battery can be removed to force an abrupt shutdown.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6891962890?see_lz=1&pn=0&fbclid=IwAR0CCaTWm_xFXAFyePLSuCcCQK7jyWygEtwNvS_xoMyrpY5QT2K_H1qZNSo&

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ftieba.baidu.com%2Fp%2F6891962890%3Fsee_lz%3D1%26pn%3D0%26fbclid%3DIwAR0CCaTWm_xFXAFyePLSuCcCQK7jyWygEtwNvS_xoMyrpY5QT2K_H1qZNSo%26

Could it not be proven using a dummy battery, where you can just pull the power cord?  I have a usb only one which requires a PD source, but it does work.

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,739

Stu T wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Could it not be proven using a dummy battery, where you can just pull the power cord? I have a usb only one which requires a PD source, but it does work.

Definitely give it a try and please report back what you find. Btw, J. Marcus just tried the experiment of defeating the door latch and it appears to work:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64285563

ArchiDeos
ArchiDeos Forum Member • Posts: 60

Totally agree on your statement. The key word here is Weather Sealed body for this Camera.

ArchiDeos's gear list:ArchiDeos's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads