How to avoid Nikon NX-D to create NKSC_PARAM sub-directory ??

Started Dec 3, 2019 | Discussions
JP Scherrer
JP Scherrer Forum Pro • Posts: 10,703
How to avoid Nikon NX-D to create NKSC_PARAM sub-directory ??

Hi ! Having used for yeeeaaars the old Nikon Capture NX-2, then only Photoshop's ACR, to process my NEF images, I had the curiosity to try the "newish" NX-D ! Definitely not as nice as the old one, but well...

Thing is, I always use Nikon ViewNX 2 and its great TRANSFER utility ! When I drop my CF-card in the card reader, it automatically opens and runs TRANSFER, which automatically creates a new sub-directory in my HD, downloads the files in it and opens Nikon ViewNX 2 !! Just GREAT !

The problem is that now, after having installed CNX-D, it changed the old TRANSFER for a new one, and now, it creates this damn NKSC_PARAM + one file per image ! I HAIT this and I don't want it !

Is there a way to avoid the software to create these useless directory and files ! ...or is there a way to get the OLD "TRANSFER" and have it running like it used to do ?

Thanks for your tips and suggestions !

Cheers,

J-P.

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
Tim S Contributing Member • Posts: 968
Re: How to avoid Nikon NX-D to create NKSC_PARAM sub-directory ??

You could just use your file manager, open your card in file manager order according to file type, select your nefs and dump them into your chosen folder.

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,452

When you install NX-D and NXi it deletes the old software. You just re-install ViewNX2 after installing the new software and you're good to go. You can get the download from the Nikon website.

As far as the new directory is concerned it is the standard used by most photography software which creates a sidecar file during editing and applies the file when you convert it to jpg. This ensures the old NEF file is not destroyed.

As an aside I use Viewnx2 as my first pass jpeg editor as it preserves the original jpg by copying it into an originals folder. Viewnxi works the same as NX-D it creates a sidecar file even for jpegs..

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

romfordbluenose wrote:

When you install NX-D and NXi it deletes the old software. You just re-install ViewNX2 after installing the new software and you're good to go. You can get the download from the Nikon website.

As far as the new directory is concerned it is the standard used by most photography software which creates a sidecar file during editing and applies the file when you convert it to jpg. This ensures the old NEF file is not destroyed.

As an aside I use Viewnx2 as my first pass jpeg editor as it preserves the original jpg by copying it into an originals folder. Viewnxi works the same as NX-D it creates a sidecar file even for jpegs..

^^^

OP:  What he said.

The NKSC_PARAM directory is the location of the sidecar files which holds the development and other metadata data used in the RAW file edits.  This means any RAW processing you do is stored in those file and is accessible via both Capture NX-D and View NX-i. View NX-I creates it, too.  Those files are the record of the RAW edits you have done, and any time you open Capture NX-D or View NX-i, it opens those files up and displays them with the edits you already did.  If you lose the .nksc file associated with a given RAW file, you're effectively starting over when you open the RAW.

After a recent trip, in an epic display of talent I somehow managed to delete the NKSC_PARAM directory for an entire portion of my vacation (and I failed to back it up.  Genius, I know), which necessitated an imperial buttload of time to re-process all of the RAWs to match what I had done with the already-processed JPG--since some people wanted prints as opposed to web-ready downsampled images.  Needless to say that was as fun as a pantful of piranha--and a reminder to back up more often, but I digress...

Unless you plan to hit your photos only once and then forget about processing/reprocessing, I'd recommend keeping that folder if you plant to keep using Capure NX-D and View NX-i.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,929

The sidecar file subdirectory has nothing to do with the new Transfer. It's part of the workflow of NX-D and NX-i. Changes to raw files are no longer saved in the files themselves, they are saved to sidecar files in the subdirectory. Unless you never edit raw files, there is no way to avoid it.

That said, if you do all you file management (moving files around and such) in NX-i, you won't even see the sidecar folder and can forget that it exists.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
JP Scherrer
OP JP Scherrer Forum Pro • Posts: 10,703

Thanks ! That's what I did: as I definitely do not like NX-I, even though it accepts the D8xx RAW files, I deleted it and reinstalled ViewNX 2 !

Everything back to normalĀ  !

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,452

JP Scherrer wrote:

Thanks ! That's what I did: as I definitely do not like NX-I, even though it accepts the D8xx RAW files, I deleted it and reinstalled ViewNX 2 !

Everything back to normal !

You don't actually need to delete it both bits of software live happily together but as you won't be using nxi its not a problem either.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads