Pentax 35mm f/1.4 ???

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions
ronniemac Regular Member • Posts: 373
Pentax 35mm f/1.4 ???

Given that the Tamron have just released the Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD for only Nikon and Cannon DSLRs, would Pentax users be happy to see Ricoh come to an agreement with Tamron just as they did for the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8?  On paper, the 35mm f1.4 looks like a very nice lens indeed.

My fear is that otherwise it could be a long wait for the 'Large Aperture wide angle single focus lens' on the Pentax roadmap (2019 or later) given that their attention is firmly on the 85mm F1.4.

Sure it would cost more than the Tamron lens, but any Pentax lens will always cost more than the Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina equivalent. Personally I don't mind who develops the lens, provided it is available as a Pentax in K mount. Given that Pentax is now a niche brand, it's unfair to expect Ricoh to have the resources to release lenses at the rate we would like. Sure I have the old Pentax FA 35mm f2, but then again I have the old FA 50 f1.4 and it didn't stop me going for the new D-FA* 50 f1.4 SDM WR for when image quality is paramount.

Any thoughts or inside info?

ronniemac's gear list:ronniemac's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +32 more
Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PeterPentax
PeterPentax Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Pentax 35mm f/1.4 ???

Pentax released a revamped version of the well respected 35mm f2 earlier this year. Would make more sense for the next prime lens to be a different FL

Anyway, have we not all got a copy of the original 35mm 1.4 in our camera bags somewhere ? http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/lenses/wide-angle/m35f1-4/

Rahto Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Why not just get the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. I use it on my K1 and it is a superb lens.

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +50 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,017

PeterPentax wrote:

Anyway, have we not all got a copy of the original 35mm 1.4 in our camera bags somewhere ? http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/lenses/wide-angle/m35f1-4/

One of these was spotted in Toronto a few years back on a tourists camera, however the spotter didn't realize the rarity of this lens and didn't get a photo of it for posterity.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

OP ronniemac Regular Member • Posts: 373

PeterPentax wrote:

Pentax released a revamped version of the well respected 35mm f2 earlier this year. Would make more sense for the next prime lens to be a different FL

I see where you're coming from, however the concurrent existance of the FA 50mm f1.4 and D-FA* 50 f1.4 caters for different requirements, budgets, or situations, and so it might be with 35mm.  I only suggest adoption of the Tamron because it is already there and would require almost no investment from Ricoh.

I absolutely agree that further and wider focal lengths would be very nice indeed.  I'd really like to see a range like the previous FA series primes which included 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm and 35mm, (not forgetting the 31mm limited).  For me the new FA 35 is too similar to the old one to justify replacing it with, but something like the Tamron I would be interested in.   The more the merrier!

Ha!  The unicorn of Pentax lenses!

Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +32 more

Rahto wrote:

Why not just get the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. I use it on my K1 and it is a superb lens.

Indeed that does make sense, I would be unwise to not consider this alternative if looking for another 35mm lens.  It looks like excellent value for money.

My question, though, was why would Pentax not simply rebrand another manufacturers lens rather than go through the expensive r & d that is required to create their own.  They have previously adopted a Tamron lenses.

I guess this new Tamron 35mm 1.4 will need to have something special up it's sleeve to justify its far higher price.

For reasons I don't really understand I currently stick with just Pentax branded lenses, maybe because if I open the gate to other brands LBA would go right out of control!

AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,086

ronniemac wrote:

Given that the Tamron have just released the Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD for only Nikon and Cannon DSLRs, would Pentax users be happy to see Ricoh come to an agreement with Tamron just as they did for the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8? On paper, the 35mm f1.4 looks like a very nice lens indeed.

My fear is that otherwise it could be a long wait for the 'Large Aperture wide angle single focus lens' on the Pentax roadmap (2019 or later) given that their attention is firmly on the 85mm F1.4.

Sure it would cost more than the Tamron lens, but any Pentax lens will always cost more than the Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina equivalent. Personally I don't mind who develops the lens, provided it is available as a Pentax in K mount. Given that Pentax is now a niche brand, it's unfair to expect Ricoh to have the resources to release lenses at the rate we would like. Sure I have the old Pentax FA 35mm f2, but then again I have the old FA 50 f1.4 and it didn't stop me going for the new D-FA* 50 f1.4 SDM WR for when image quality is paramount.

Pentax just released an updated 35mm f2 lens. I know it isn't a star lens and doesn't have f1.4 but the difference between f1.4 and f2 is pretty small. Check it out:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456858-REG/pentax_22860_hd_pentax_fa_35mm_f_2.html

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
baldeagle21b Contributing Member • Posts: 987

ronniemac wrote:

Indeed that does make sense, I would be unwise to not consider this alternative if looking for another 35mm lens. It looks like excellent value for money.

My question, though, was why would Pentax not simply rebrand another manufacturers lens rather than go through the expensive r & d that is required to create their own. They have previously adopted a Tamron lenses.

I guess this new Tamron 35mm 1.4 will need to have something special up it's sleeve to justify its far higher price.

For reasons I don't really understand I currently stick with just Pentax branded lenses, maybe because if I open the gate to other brands LBA would go right out of control!

IMHO unlikely that Pentax engineers would accept a stock lens from another OEM fro release as a Pentax brand product. They would want to put their own unique stamp on it, which would mean at least some development. Less that starting from scratch, of course but more than just slapping a K-mount on.

baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II +9 more

ronniemac wrote:

My question, though, was why would Pentax not simply rebrand another manufacturers lens rather than go through the expensive r & d that is required to create their own. They have previously adopted a Tamron lenses.

My guess is that when Pentax released the K-1 they needed a full range of compatible lenses that would work on full frame. Some were developed inhouse (i.e. 70-200 and 150-450mm). Others were rebranded Tamrons (15-30mm and 24-70mm). Being a small company they likely did not have the capacity to have each lens developed from scratch.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more

AwesomeIan wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

Sure I have the old Pentax FA 35mm f2, but then again I have the old FA 50 f1.4 and it didn't stop me going for the new D-FA* 50 f1.4 SDM WR for when image quality is paramount.

Pentax just released an updated 35mm f2 lens. I know it isn't a star lens and doesn't have f1.4 but the difference between f1.4 and f2 is pretty small. Check it out:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456858-REG/pentax_22860_hd_pentax_fa_35mm_f_2.html

I see where you're coming from Awesomelan, I have the outdated 35mm f2 lens and it is a nice little thing even without the HD coating (and textured focus ring).

Interestingly Pentax currently have in their range two 50mm f1.4s, a 55mm 1.4, a 50mm 1.8 (and the 50mm 2.8 macro) but there is a good deal more than the f stop that differentiates them.   Historically Pentax have a penchant for various lenses of identical focal lengths with differing max apertures - and at differing costs!

I agree with your recommendation regarding the 35mm f2, and although I would endorse the FA 50 1.4 (and 1.7), the new heavyweight D-FA* 50mm 1.4 is an outstanding lens and I guess that's the case I am making for an additional alternative to the 35mm we already have.

baldeagle21b wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

Indeed that does make sense, I would be unwise to not consider this alternative if looking for another 35mm lens. It looks like excellent value for money.

IMHO unlikely that Pentax engineers would accept a stock lens from another OEM fro release as a Pentax brand product. They would want to put their own unique stamp on it, which would mean at least some development. Less that starting from scratch, of course but more than just slapping a K-mount on.

As AwesomeIan pointed out and is recognised by those with more indepth knowledge than I, the Pentax 15-30 and 24-70 are Tamron developed lenses.  I understand that Ricoh's contribution was to change the mount, grip texture, lens coatings, and graphics and I'm sure some other details.  Interestingly the shake reduction elements inside are still there - just disabled.

The thing is, I'm perfectly fine with that, it saves considerable R & D costs, and gives us a nice range of lenses that would otherwise not be available to us.

AwesomeIan wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

My guess is that when Pentax released the K-1 they needed a full range of compatible lenses that would work on full frame. Some were developed inhouse (i.e. 70-200 and 150-450mm). Others were rebranded Tamrons (15-30mm and 24-70mm). Being a small company they likely did not have the capacity to have each lens developed from scratch.

I do agree, Awesomelan, and yours is the point I tried to make, although perhaps I should have worded my message with greater clarity.

I am completely in favour of Ricoh bringing more lenses to us by adapting what other manufacturers have developed.  I gather that this is common practice across the photographic industry with collaboration between most camera manufacturers and various lens companies.  It's in both their and our interests.

My proposal was that Pentax could reduce their development costs for the projected wide angle lens if they were to adopt the new Tamron 35mm f1.4.  On paper it sounds like a fantastic lens, perhaps almost on a par with the Pentax D-FA* 50mm f1.4.

If however the wide angle lens that Pentax are developing is a different focal length, then I do hope they proceed and release it before too long.

I am not being critical of Ricoh or their Pentax line, far from it.  However more wide angle prime lenses would help Pentax sell more cameras by putting a stop to the oft quoted criticism that Pentax don't have a comprehensive range of lenses.

Until then, I will happily continue to use my legacy 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm as well as 31mm Ltd and 35mm f2 Pentax primes.

Of course if perfection in image quality became paramount I could, as suggested above, always look into the acclaimed Sigma 35mm f1.4 if a state of the art Pentax wide angle be too slow to materialise.

Massao Contributing Member • Posts: 744

ronniemac wrote:

Given that the Tamron have just released the Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD for only Nikon and Cannon DSLRs, would Pentax users be happy to see Ricoh come to an agreement with Tamron just as they did for the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8? On paper, the 35mm f1.4 looks like a very nice lens indeed.

Pentax users already have the option of Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM, and it seems like a fine lens. Not sure how better this newer Tamron version is.

Kind regards,

Massao

-- hide signature --

First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Samsung NX20 Sony SLT-A37 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Pentax K-30 +27 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,013

ronniemac wrote:

Yup I'm fine with that. There are a few perks with OEM lenses. The price of course needs to be close. I hope they license it, actually. Tamron might object: it's their anniversary lens. The Pentax will object to putting a star on it... (Rolling eyes, Japanese companies are like 4-year olds)

According to the rumors, the 'Large Aperture wide angle single focus lens' will most likely be a 24mm f/1.4. So yes, I hope they license the 35!

I think that Pentax should to be able to offer 24-35-50-85 f/1.4 star lenses by now. And a 135* f/1.8 down the line.

Sure it would cost more than the Tamron lens, but any Pentax lens will always cost more than the Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina equivalent. Personally I don't mind who develops the lens, provided it is available as a Pentax in K mount. Given that Pentax is now a niche brand, it's unfair to expect Ricoh to have the resources to release lenses at the rate we would like.

That's a good point.

Sure I have the old Pentax FA 35mm f2, but then again I have the old FA 50 f1.4 and it didn't stop me going for the new D-FA* 50 f1.4 SDM WR for when image quality is paramount.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +6 more
Wheatfield7
Wheatfield7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,670

AwesomeIan wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

Yeah, it’s only twice as much light.

miles green wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

According to the rumors, the 'Large Aperture wide angle single focus lens' will most likely be a 24mm f/1.4. So yes, I hope they license the 35!

I think that Pentax should to be able to offer 24-35-50-85 f/1.4 star lenses by now. And a 135* f/1.8 down the line.

Many valid points in your post Miles.  I'm very interested to hear that the large aperture wide angle single focus lens' could well be a 24mm f1.4, that would be wonderful.

In that event there would also be a better chance of a Pentax version of the Tamron 35mm f1.4 joining the ranks of K mount lenses.

I'm ever the optimist!

Massao wrote:

Pentax users already have the option of Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM, and it seems like a fine lens. Not sure how better this newer Tamron version is.

Kind regards,

Massao

Yes, there is some very positive user experience with respect to the Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art, and it has both you and Rahto recommending it.

It would be very interesting to see a side by side comparison between the Sigma and the Tamron.  Given that the latter costs approx 50% more, one hopes for more than weather resistance and the benefit of more advanced lens coatings to distinguish between the two, important as these features are to Pentaxians like myself.

Wheatfield7 wrote:

AwesomeIan wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

Yeah, it’s only twice as much light.

A f2 lens also has twice as much light as a f2.8 lens. My point was that you aren't going to see a huge difference between the f1.4 and f2. To me the big advantage with f1.4 would be when shooting in low light with high ISO. In that case cutting the ISO in half is a nice bonus but as far as background separation and bokeh I don't see a huge difference. Cheers.

Follow me on flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123942854@N06/

ronniemac wrote:

baldeagle21b wrote:

ronniemac wrote:

As AwesomeIan pointed out and is recognised by those with more indepth knowledge than I, the Pentax 15-30 and 24-70 are Tamron developed lenses. I understand that Ricoh's contribution was to change the mount, grip texture, lens coatings, and graphics and I'm sure some other details. Interestingly the shake reduction elements inside are still there - just disabled.

The thing is, I'm perfectly fine with that, it saves considerable R & D costs, and gives us a nice range of lenses that would otherwise not be available to us.

Tamron has been advertising the new 35mm f1.4 as the best lens they have ever created. If true I highly doubt they would let pentax re-brand it as a pentax lens....

-- hide signature --
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 9,976

ronniemac wrote:

Given that the Tamron have just released the Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD for only Nikon and Cannon DSLRs, would Pentax users be happy to see Ricoh come to an agreement with Tamron just as they did for the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8?

The Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens D FA* from the roadmap will be designed and made by Ricoh Imaging/Pentax. Just like the D FA* 50mm f/1.4, and the upcoming D FA* 85mm f/1.4.

Only two D FA lenses are actually Tamrons - and neither of them is a * lens.

I'm afraid we will have to wait.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads