Best all-in-one Film Camera for travel?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jaeae Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: Best all-in-one Film Camera for travel?

ThaQuest wrote:

Ernest M Aquilio wrote:

My choice would be the Konica Hexar AF or my personal favorite the Mamiya 6 w/50mm lens. Those are both hefty so maybe also consider the Olympus XA series

Searching for the "best" is subjective. We all have different requirements. Good luck in your searching!

Expensive! Should have mentioned the $100 price limit. Although I do aspire to the Mamiya 6 or 7 one day...

you can get a usable Oly XA with 100$. the newer Mju-II may cost twice as much but for vacation shots it might be better, actually.. due to full auto operation. it's less fiddly in certain quick situations. and it's rainy day -proof

PhotoTeach2 Senior Member • Posts: 9,860
Pentax 928

Has 28 to 90mm zoom ...

I recommended it to a customer and "we" took it to Sedona and Yosemite and used only that camera.

I then later got one for myself for a specific traveling job where I didnt want to take my "expensive" gear, or change lenses.

Worked great for every job assigned to it.

absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,194
Give it a rest....

Jesus wept, the OP never asked for opinions on whether to shoot film or not, that's clearly what he wants to do, for valid reasons, he didn't ask anybody to tell him why you wouldn't, or for digital recommendations. What is the matter with some people?

To the OP, I can recommend the Pentax 280p, its widest aperture is F3.5 but it has a 28-80mm zoom with a very decent flash on it and lots of other bells and whistles that make it a fun camera to use. Ok it's not as svelte as some cameras but it's versatility makes it a very good option. It can do double exposures and has exposure compensation which means you can overcome DX coding if you want to push or pull your film. It can also be had very cheaply, it's great bargain at the moment if you can find one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-Wide-angle-28-80mm-Lens-Panorama-Multifunction-Zoom-280-P-Remote-Film/202643063682?hash=item2f2e77c382:g:spIAAOSwp-Fco31w

The other option would be to take a small SLR and a fast 50mm prime, which can also be had cheaply. Something like an OM20 and the 50mm F1.8, or a spotmatic, or Pentax MX.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,048
Interrail with Konica C35

ThaQuest wrote:

I'm looking for something nice and compact with a built-in lens, f/2.8 at minimum but f/2 would be even better. Not only for travel, but for carrying around day-to-day. I just sold my AE-1 Program which was a little more bulk that I cared for.

So far the Olympus Trip 35 seems like a good option (with a 40mm 2.8 lens), but it only has two shutter speeds: 1/40 and 1/200, and I'd like some more low-light potential than that. The viewfinder is smaller than I'd like. Alternatively, the Olympus Pen half frames seem like a lot of fun.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

In my youth I as many others went for a month on Interrail - free train travels all over Europe for a whole month for a bargain fee. My buddy took his Minolta SRT 101 with a 50 1.7. I wanted to travel light so I left my Yashica SLR and borrowed my fathers Konica C-35 with a fixed 38 2.8 and program autoexposure. It proved to be good choice. This type of camera is very handy for travel.

There is a more advanced model called Konica S3. Minolta and Canon made some similar models. You can read some here:

https://davidde.com/2018/12/11/konica-auto-s3-review/

If you really want t go hi-end with a compact rangefinder consider Leica CL or Minolta CLE.

Another option (SLR): Pentax ME or MX (manual) with the 40 2.8 pancake. The ME with the 40 2.8 might be the most compact 35 mm SLR/lens combo ever.

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,694
Re: Give it a rest....

absquatulate wrote:

Jesus wept, the OP never asked for opinions on whether to shoot film or not, that's clearly what he wants to do, for valid reasons, he didn't ask anybody to tell him why you wouldn't, or for digital recommendations. What is the matter with some people?

I know, I know, the moderators have said film is an ok topic but this is still primarily a digital photography forum.

What would you expect digital camera users to recommend?

tcg550 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

I know, I know, the moderators have said film is an ok topic but this is still primarily a digital photography forum.

In a post that's entitled "Best all in one film travel camera"? take a wild guess.... You do realise that there is no law that if you shoot digital you can't shoot film?

mandm Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Olympus XA

The XA, not the XA 2, XA 3, XA 4 or any other XA ?.

The XA is a very compact, Full Frame, 35mm Camera with a 35mm 2.8 lens, Aperture Priority, Manual Focus with a Detachable Flash.

-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera in my hand. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career. Retired in 2008ish I now shoot for fun and for charities (for free).

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,694

absquatulate wrote:

tcg550 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

In a post that's entitled "Best all in one film travel camera"? take a wild guess.... You do realise that there is no law that if you shoot digital you can't shoot film?

I never said otherwise, I said this primarily a digital photography forum and you wonder why posters relate their posts to their experiences.

tcg550 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

tcg550 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

I never said otherwise, I said this primarily a digital photography forum and you wonder why posters relate their posts to their experiences.

Of course, I made the fatal mistake of thinking that when the OP asks for a film camera recommendation what he really meant was "Please tell me why you think I shouldn't be using film and obviously give me a digital recommendation that I'm not asking for"...yep, that must be it...

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,813

Ricoh GR1V.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
Definitely Olympus Stylus or XA Series

Those were all the rage, before digital took over.

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,019

ThaQuest wrote:

The best is no doubt the Huawei P30 Pro and Sony RX100 VI!!!

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,098
Re: Cheapest all-in-one Film Camera for travel

ThaQuest wrote:

Ernest M Aquilio wrote:

My choice would be the Konica Hexar AF or my personal favorite the Mamiya 6 w/50mm lens. Those are both hefty so maybe also consider the Olympus XA series

Searching for the "best" is subjective. We all have different requirements. Good luck in your searching!

Expensive! Should have mentioned the $100 price limit. Although I do aspire to the Mamiya 6 or 7 one day...

You sure should have.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,055
Minox 35

ThaQuest wrote:

I'm looking for something nice and compact with a built-in lens, f/2.8 at minimum but f/2 would be even better. Not only for travel, but for carrying around day-to-day. I just sold my AE-1 Program which was a little more bulk that I cared for.

So far the Olympus Trip 35 seems like a good option (with a 40mm 2.8 lens), but it only has two shutter speeds: 1/40 and 1/200, and I'd like some more low-light potential than that. The viewfinder is smaller than I'd like. Alternatively, the Olympus Pen half frames seem like a lot of fun.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I've not looked at the other suggestions, but if you get a sound Minox 35 (any flavour really) it is great.

You don't get focus aids, but you do get something tiny and which gives great image quality.

If you want something that has a rangefinder, Olympus, Konica, Ricoh and Minolta did some lovely tiny cameras, plus some with fast lenses (f/1.8), Also Yashica, and the Canonettes, but those tend to be a little larger.

-- hide signature --

Edit - there were also some nice Cosinas and the Lomo LC, but new prices on the LC are ridiculous - £18 in 1981 was a bargain, but current new prices are ridiculous..

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
BG28
BG28 Regular Member • Posts: 185

I love these all-mechanical cameras. I have an Ansco 120 folding "pocket" camera that I use semi-regularly, as well as an all-metal TLR from the 40's. I got pretty lucky as the lens and shutter assembly on both of these are still in good repair.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one! 

BG28's gear list:BG28's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
BG28
Re: Minox 35

Seriously, those LCAs are sooo overpriced! Sometimes I think LOMO thinks it's 1985. I still want one, tho.
At one point, I was choosing between a Cosina CX-2 and a Minolta AF-C.. ended up with the minolta.

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
BG28

@ThaQuest, first thing you should decide is zoom or not, as that will seriously impact the size and max aperture of your $100 camera.

Martin JC Senior Member • Posts: 2,685

ThaQuest wrote:

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

look at the contax t2 or -- to make your eyes water -- t3 ....

Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: iPhone or Samsung Galaxy but just a tad over your $100 (!) limit. Any pawn shops nearby? (nt)

Corkcampbell wrote:

Yes, knowledge is good.  We know that.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Hike Pics
Hike Pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
Canon Sure Shot Classic 120

Just my "2 cents", of course. But I have read some great reviews on it, even claiming it is the closest to SLR quality for a P&S that Canon ever did.

Hike Pics's gear list:Hike Pics's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Kodak EasyShare CX7430 Kodak EasyShare C340 Kodak EasyShare C310 Kodak EasyShare C663 +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads