A7III IBIS malfunction (got solution from sony.com)

Started Apr 28, 2019 | Discussions
voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,979
A7III IBIS malfunction (got solution from sony.com)

I'm in the beginning of my 2-week vacation abroad, and today I got that violent image shaking, clicking noise and Turn power off then on error related to IBIS malfunction.

My A7III is almost 1 year old and running v3.0. I was shooting my friends casually with 24-240, and  suddenly IBIS failed, starting from roll axis, and then it quickly became impossible to use the camera at all (no matter which lens is installed, and whether the stabilizer is on or off).

My heart almost stopped at that moment, because carrying 2 kg, 3000$ worth of dead weight on my back for 2 weeks (while shooting with mobile phone) wasn't in my plans.

Luckily tonight I was able to fix this problem using the solution in this article: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/cameras-camcorders/articles/00032723

It says:

1. Turn the camera off.
  2. Remove the batteries and let it sit for a full minute.
  3. Turn the POWER switch to the ON position
  4. Press and hold the shutter button for 30 seconds.
  5. Release the shutter button.
  6. Turn the POWER switch to the OFF position.
  7. Reinsert the batteries.
  8. Turn the POWER switch to the ON position.

It helped, and the camera looks OK now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Reported this problem to Sony.

Probably this solution may  relieve someone from ruined photo set.

P.S. Now I feel grateful to myself, buying A6300 in place of A6500 as a second camera. Probably the EOS R cameras aren't that bad?

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +8 more
Nikon 1 V3 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: A7III IBIS malfunction (got solution from sony.com)

Hope your Camera Will work the whole trip.

Wish you have a great trip.

TonyCh
TonyCh Regular Member • Posts: 218

It says:

1. Turn the camera off.

It helped, and the camera looks OK now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Reported this problem to Sony.

Probably this solution may relieve someone from ruined photo set.

Glad that your camera is OK. Question - in steps 3~5, there's no battery in the camera, right?

TonyCh's gear list:TonyCh's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a7R III Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 377

TonyCh wrote:

It says:

1. .
  2. Turn the POWER switch to the ON position
  3. Press and hold the shutter button for 30 seconds.
  4. Release the shutter button.

Glad that your camera is OK. Question - in steps 3~5, there's no battery in the camera, right?

This sounds like there is no hold-over battery in the camera (unlike the small date-time battery in all PCs), and all they were doing in steps 3 to 5 was draining any capacitors that still had a change inside the camera, to make sure all temporary settings (as opposed to memory settings) went back to default on power on again.

Kevin

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +6 more
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,530

JerseySailor wrote:

TonyCh wrote:

It says:

1. .

This sounds like there is no hold-over battery in the camera (unlike the small date-time battery in all PCs), and all they were doing in steps 3 to 5 was draining any capacitors that still had a change inside the camera, to make sure all temporary settings (as opposed to memory settings) went back to default on power on again.

Kevin

If there is no hold-over battery, presumably running the procedure would result in the loss of date/time (and possibly other) settings.

If that's the case, it should be mentioned in the procedure (the user would need to restore various settings after running through the other steps). The OP would be able to clarify either way whether the date and time or other setup were affected.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,304

voronspb wrote:

P.S. Now I feel grateful to myself, buying A6300 in place of A6500 as a second camera. Probably the EOS R cameras aren't that bad?

1st of all sorry to hear about your software issues - something a few here underrate is the complexity of testing and validating software features.

Adding some functionality might cause problems elsewhere and thus every new feature should be treated as a major overhaul of the complete system.

Having a less feature rich camera like an A6300 removes complexity but also options for photographing.

It's always good to understand what your intention is and what trade offs have to be made.

My Canon 5D II was malfunctioning several times not showing the histogram - only removing the battery helped. No major failure but annoying nonetheless.

I'd hope that your problem is a seldom coincidence. That said it's good to understand how to properly rest the camera - thx for sharing!!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +10 more
bayindirh
bayindirh Regular Member • Posts: 437

JerseySailor wrote:

TonyCh wrote:

It says:

1. .

This sounds like there is no hold-over battery in the camera (unlike the small date-time battery in all PCs), and all they were doing in steps 3 to 5 was draining any capacitors that still had a change inside the camera, to make sure all temporary settings (as opposed to memory settings) went back to default on power on again.

Kevin

You can selectively power some parts of the board with a backup capacitor and leave others powered by main battery only. I guess the RTC is capacitor backed, but temporary working memory is not.

bayindirh's gear list:bayindirh's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +4 more
voronspb
OP voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

Unfortunately this didn't help me for long. At afternoon the camera started glitching again. It works somewhat, but shakes the sensor from time to time. Will send it for repair after vacation.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +8 more
voronspb

All settings were intact after dropping the power.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,530

voronspb wrote:

All settings were intact after dropping the power.

Thanks for confirming that.

Meanwhile, sorry to hear that the glitching has reccurred. Hope you can use the reset procedure to get you through the week!

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,304

voronspb wrote:

Unfortunately this didn't help me for long. At afternoon the camera started glitching again. It works somewhat, but shakes the sensor from time to time. Will send it for repair after vacation.

too bad - modern technology can be a pain in case it works - somehow but not reliable is not enough.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +10 more
blusbyphoto
blusbyphoto Regular Member • Posts: 114
Same failure happened to me TODAY

This same error happened this morning as I was shooting a real estate job.  Luckily I had my second body in my bag, and was able to complete the job on time.  I was also lucky that I was still within the return/exchange policy from Best Buy on the body that failed.  The camera was just weeks old!  Hopefully this is not an indication of reliability in the future!!

bayindirh
bayindirh Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Same failure happened to me TODAY

blusbyphoto wrote:

This same error happened this morning as I was shooting a real estate job. Luckily I had my second body in my bag, and was able to complete the job on time. I was also lucky that I was still within the return/exchange policy from Best Buy on the body that failed. The camera was just weeks old! Hopefully this is not an indication of reliability in the future!!

I have my body for a year and had no problems with IBIS. I also carried mine in a camera backpack for a week, during a South Korea trip.

Sony generally replaces the bodies when they fail that early. They exchanged my friend's A7II when its shutter failed within six months.

bayindirh's gear list:bayindirh's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +4 more
adventure_photo
adventure_photo Contributing Member • Posts: 831

voronspb wrote:

I'm in the beginning of my 2-week vacation abroad, and today I got that violent image shaking, clicking noise and Turn power off then on error related to IBIS malfunction.

My A7III is almost 1 year old and running v3.0. I was shooting my friends casually with 24-240, and suddenly IBIS failed, starting from roll axis, and then it quickly became impossible to use the camera at all (no matter which lens is installed, and whether the stabilizer is on or off).

My heart almost stopped at that moment, because carrying 2 kg, 3000$ worth of dead weight on my back for 2 weeks (while shooting with mobile phone) wasn't in my plans.

Luckily tonight I was able to fix this problem using the solution in this article: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/cameras-camcorders/articles/00032723

It says:

1. Turn the camera off.

Probably this solution may relieve someone from ruined photo set.

I’m sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. This happened to me also when I was traveling a couple years ago with the A7II. Nothing worked until I tried one thing. I used a clean micro fiber cloth and gently touched the sensor and gently moved it around physically just a bit. Up down left right. Once I did that the problem completely went away and it never happened again. Upon return I sent the camera to Sony for repair and they found no issues. The only thing I can attribute it to was from traveling with the camera in a roller bag, I think that jostled the sensor around and it somehow got stuck in a weird position. Worth a try I suppose. Best of luck.

adventure_photo's gear list:adventure_photo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
voronspb

Thanks, I've seen this solution before. BTW, my camera works fine for 2 days in a row. I'll be displeased if the service center will say that it's totally OK,  because I don't have much trust in its reliability anymore. Luckily I was able to record a video containing the fact of that malfunction .

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

jimboyvr Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

voronspb wrote:

My A7

What firmware Vlad?

voronspb

The latest one, 3.0 if I recall correctly.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb

Here's a video with sensor shaking on my camera:

In last few days this malfunction has stopped appearing for some reason, the camera mostly works as usual. But I'll be going to service center today, as I don't know in what moment the camera will become inoperable again.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

TonyCh
TonyCh Regular Member • Posts: 218

The shake is so strong and loud, it definitely needs servicing. Be sure to show the service person this video. Please keep us posted with the updates.

TonyCh's gear list:TonyCh's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a7R III Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
voronspb

TonyCh wrote:

The shake is so strong and loud, it definitely needs servicing. Be sure to show the service person this video. Please keep us posted with the updates.

Already done. The camera is at the service now, in a few days I'll have an update regarding its status.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads