Z6 raw images and NX2

Started Apr 23, 2019 | Discussions
comoxbrit Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Z6 raw images and NX2

I used Nikon transfer to upload raw images into ViewNX-I and then opened up an image in NX-D.  I did not do any processing on the image but clicked on the "Open with" button and selected NX2.  NX2 opened up and I was able to use the Develope feature to crop, use the  Upoints, convert to b/w, increasing/decrease contrast and exposure and then save the image into another folder as a Nef or Tiff. I could not use the Adjust feature as it was greyed out.

I then opened up NX2 and tried to open a Z6 raw image but it didn't work.

The last camera that Nikon added to NX2 was the D610 but using my method seems to open up images in NX2 through the back door.

So those or you who still like NX2 why don't you try my method and let me know if it works.

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

Nikon D610 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,792
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

I do this regularly as well. But there just aren't many capture nx2 users still around.

 j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 19,915
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2
1

j_photo wrote:

I do this regularly as well. But there just aren't many capture nx2 users still around.

Maybe free to download current NX-D having U points, noise control options etc has something to do with there being few still using Capture NX2.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,792
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

j_photo wrote:

I do this regularly as well. But there just aren't many capture nx2 users still around.

Maybe free to download current NX-D having U points, noise control options etc has something to do with there being few still using Capture NX2.

No doubt. And the fact that NX2 can't open raw files from newer cameras.

 j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
JHWJR Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

Me. I still use and love NX2 with my D800. Just spent a few hours tonight. That I can't use it with newer bodies has kept me from buying newer bodies. It's sooooo very sad.

 JHWJR's gear list:JHWJR's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,253
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

Do I remember correctly that NX2 was a custom version of SilkyPix?

This thread made me take a look at SilkyPix, having never done so before. It's impressive - I was particularly taken with the custom colour control; sliding a point around a colour disk until things look right works very well. I happen to be looking out of my study at the scene in the image I tried the software with and was very pleased with how close to colour-truth I could get using this tool.

I also have a sense that the output files are Silky, something about them just looks very good - when images give me this impression, it normally indicates subtle and finely judged demosaicing performance.

But my real reason for posting is in response to the subject of this thread - lens error correction. The product has an automatic lens correction module which works by comparing NEF and OOC jpeg - in other words, you shoot RAW + Jpeg and the software generates lens correction by automatic geometry comparison of the two. I don't believe I've seen such a capability in any other product.

If Jim Kasson has a little spare time, an assessment of this functionality would, I'm sure, be valuable for many of us.

There is also an AUTO develop button which changes the image, a tool at a time, to suit the built-in [and adjustable] tastes settings. It marks each of the tools used in the tool panel as it goes, so that you can see what's been done.

I chose to test the Pro version and, when I started to get excited about it, I looked at the price US$250 - Gulp!

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

 edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 6,500
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

comoxbrit wrote:

I used Nikon transfer to upload raw images into ViewNX-I and then opened up an image in NX-D. I did not do any processing on the image but clicked on the "Open with" button and selected NX2. NX2 opened up and I was able to use the Develope feature to crop, use the Upoints, convert to b/w, increasing/decrease contrast and exposure and then save the image into another folder as a Nef or Tiff. I could not use the Adjust feature as it was greyed out.

I think as soon as your raw Z6 image opens in CNX2 from NX-D it becomes a tiff and you are no longer in the raw space unfortunately.

I still love the ease of use of CNX2 although it won't open my D810 files.  I do all of my finishing touches in CNX2 using a tiff however and still use Nik's Color Efex 3 plugin that was made just for CNX2 and love it.

The strangest thing is that tiff's that started out life in Lightroom will not Save as a jpeg when using CNX2.  I have to save them as a tiff, open in PS CC, then Save as a jpeg that way.

I then opened up NX2 and tried to open a Z6 raw image but it didn't work.

The last camera that Nikon added to NX2 was the D610 but using my method seems to open up images in NX2 through the back door.

So those or you who still like NX2 why don't you try my method and let me know if it works.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 19,915
Re: ?????

Ernie Misner wrote:

I still love the ease of use of CNX2 although it won't open my D810 files. I do all of my finishing touches in CNX2 using a tiff however and still use Nik's Color Efex 3 plugin that was made just for CNX2 and love it.

The strangest thing is that tiff's that started out life in Lightroom will not Save as a jpeg when using CNX2. I have to save them as a tiff, open in PS CC, then Save as a jpeg that way.

Who not move into the current world 

It should be easier 

NX-D has had U-point technology for some time 

NX-D does everything NX-2 did - and more - including working with recent Nikon cameras - than when support for NX-2 ceased a long time ago.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
JHWJR Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: ?????

For one, I’m wedded to the paradigm that embeds my edits into the RAW file, rather than a sidecar file that doesn’t move with the file. It’s been a while since I tried NX-D, but it seems to me it was missing another capability that was core to me, but I don’t recall at the moment what it was.

 JHWJR's gear list:JHWJR's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,109
Re: Z6 raw images and NX2

comoxbrit wrote:

I used Nikon transfer to upload raw images into ViewNX-I and then opened up an image in NX-D. I did not do any processing on the image but clicked on the "Open with" button and selected NX2. NX2 opened up and I was able to use the Develope feature to crop, use the Upoints, convert to b/w, increasing/decrease contrast and exposure and then save the image into another folder as a Nef or Tiff. I could not use the Adjust feature as it was greyed out.

I then opened up NX2 and tried to open a Z6 raw image but it didn't work.

The last camera that Nikon added to NX2 was the D610 but using my method seems to open up images in NX2 through the back door.

So those or you who still like NX2 why don't you try my method and let me know if it works.

But can you save NEF with NX2 setings also saved? And then reopen it? That would be great!

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
dacrema Contributing Member • Posts: 935
Re: ?????

I have mostly moved away from CNX2 to CNX-D. That said NX2 had a lasso tool that would allow an shape be drawn and another tool, the slider for example, to adjust color in that area.  I miss that feature during the few times I want it and keep NX2 for those occasions.

 dacrema's gear list:dacrema's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
OP comoxbrit Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Saving an image.

Yes, once you have worked on an image in NX-2 you can save it as a NEF compressed.

To Ernie Misner you are right, the image is saved as a Tiff.

-- hide signature --

www.derekvallintine.com

VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: ?????

JHWJR wrote:

For one, I’m wedded to the paradigm that embeds my edits into the RAW file, rather than a sidecar file that doesn’t move with the file. It’s been a while since I tried NX-D, but it seems to me it was missing another capability that was core to me, but I don’t recall at the moment what it was.

I was absolutley wedded to the embed edits feature and hung on to NX2 for quite a while, having not liked the earlier versions of NX-D.

I have to say, NX-D has come a long way and the sidecars are not really the nusiance I thought they might be. (I understand the sidecar advantage of having less risk of corruption of the original raw). If it's been a while, it's worth giving NX-D another try.

 VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,792
Re: ?????

VBLondon wrote:

JHWJR wrote:

For one, I’m wedded to the paradigm that embeds my edits into the RAW file, rather than a sidecar file that doesn’t move with the file. It’s been a while since I tried NX-D, but it seems to me it was missing another capability that was core to me, but I don’t recall at the moment what it was.

I was absolutley wedded to the embed edits feature and hung on to NX2 for quite a while, having not liked the earlier versions of NX-D.

I have to say, NX-D has come a long way and the sidecars are not really the nusiance I thought they might be. (I understand the sidecar advantage of having less risk of corruption of the original raw). If it's been a while, it's worth giving NX-D another try.

I still like how NX-2 works in layers, with options for transparency, blending, luminosity/chrominance adjustements, etc. Versioning is also very straightforward. But sadly, it's become a dinosaur in other ways.

 j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads