Iomega USB Zip Drive

Started Mar 12, 2019 | Discussions
sygnus21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Iomega USB Zip Drive

Cleaning out the garage I found my Iomega USB Zip Drive....

Connecting it to my i9-9900K PC with Windows 10 x64 (ver. 1809) shows it works without issue. No need to install drivers - just plug & play....

Driver info...

This is also for that person who challenged me (a few times) and said I didn't know what I was talking about

Anyway as I said then, Windows will simply see this as a disk drive and read/write to it because it is.... a disk drive

Bradrobb
Bradrobb Senior Member • Posts: 1,045
Re: Iomega USB Zip Drive

Hi

Bernoulli Drive

They had these before the Zip Drive.

I used them on my 386 computer.

A friend of mine gave them to me when they stopped using them at his office.

Brad

-- hide signature --

I go through life shooting Snap Shots.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradrobb/
2 Million Views on Flickr

Bradrobb's gear list:Bradrobb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha NEX-3 A3000 Sony a5000 +9 more
OP sygnus21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,907

Yeah, I'm just settling the notion that iomega Zip drives don't work under modern OS's. Clearly they do... and you don't need to install a driver since Window's natively supports them (disk drives).

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,330

If I look close enough at the bottom of a milk crate in the corner of my office, I can just make out my SCSI Jaz Drive resting peacefully in a tranquil covering of dust.

Yeah, this was resting in some dark hole until I found it while cleaning out my garage. I've no need for it and only hooked it up to prove a point. It'll go back in the garage after this

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,216

sygnus21 wrote:

Yeah, I'm just settling the notion that iomega Zip drives don't work under modern OS's. Clearly they do... and you don't need to install a driver since Window's natively supports them (disk drives).

well, the question really becomes, will they work at all, since even in their heyday, were notorious for disk failures.  And that was a long long time ago.

(Let's start another data archival thread!)

Or the question could be will my PC work tomorrow seeing how so many people are having issues with their PC's

The drive works. Point proven. Argue amongst yourselves

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,349

I've still got one as well. Mine is SCSI so I'd need an adapter or a SCSI card. I wonder if the USB adapters work. I laso have about 20 disks. Not sure why I still have them that data was moved years ago.

What I also remember is the zip drive click of death.

Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,962

Cleary this is a Windows 10 flaw and yet another example of everything that is wrong with Win 10 because backwards compatibility with dinosaurs blah blah etc. /jk 🤣

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +16 more

tcg550 wrote:

What I also remember is the zip drive click of death.

Not claiming they weren't without issues only that that they do work under Win 10

Anyway mine has been sitting in my garage since 2005 and will be going back soon. Like you I've no idea why I still have it (and an internal drive) but I do.  Maybe someone on eBay will be looking for one and I'll be like "hey, I got one"

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,349

Jeadm wrote:

Cleary this is a Windows 10 flaw and yet another example of everything that is wrong with Win 10 because backwards compatibility with dinosaurs blah blah etc. /jk 🤣

Huh?

Jeadm wrote:

Exactly

tcg550 wrote:

Huh?

I take it as sarcasm.

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,365

Billiam29 wrote:

If I look close enough at the bottom of a milk crate in the corner of my office, I can just make out my SCSI Jaz Drive resting peacefully in a tranquil covering of dust.

I used a Colorado QIC-40 drive for a few years in the early 90s.  The floppy interface was interesting, but slow.  And it was noisy.  But it worked.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

tcg550 wrote:

Huh?

Just a moment of levity regarding a certain deeply committed subset of this forum's population.  Hang around here long enough where any discussion of WIn10 is concerned, and you'll understand.

Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +16 more
Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,045

Thanks. I always assumed it would work on Windows 10, thanks for confirming. I've been meaning (for years) to look at what's on my old ZIP disks, and see if I want to copy anything before ditching them.

Same with my old floppy disks. I have a USB floppy drive I can connect.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,304
Sweet!

Now you can back up 3-4 RAW files per disk. Amazing!

Re: Sweet!

And at 50kB/second, nibble mode for max compatibility.

As Billy Joel said, "cause the good old days weren't always good..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s

tkbslc wrote:

Well considering I shoot 1 to 2 photos a week that would be perfect

Eric Carlson wrote:

Thanks. I always assumed it would work on Windows 10, thanks for confirming.

No problem.

I've been meaning (for years) to look at what's on my old ZIP disks, and see if I want to copy anything before ditching them.

I don't even want to look to see what's on those disks. I figure if I hadn't missed whatever's there when they were packed in my garage all those years why need it now.

That said, I've already packed it away again. I just wanted to see if it worked.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 20,173

tkbslc wrote:

When Zip drives came out, they sounded great.

• 100 MB per cartridge, compared to 1.4 MB per floppy disk
  • Much cheaper than hard disk cartridge systems
  • Supposedly more reliable than them, too

There was a saying:  "Zip:  The sound of a body bag closing over Syquest".

Then came the "click of death", as in the drive making a <CLICK> <CLICK> <CLICK> noise while you kissed your data goodbye.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads