SX70, pictures using the Macro mode..

Started Mar 3, 2019 | Photos
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
SX70, pictures using the Macro mode..

..Finally had the chance to visit the local botanical garden..

..used my SX70 camera to take some pictures using the Macro mode..

..these are full size straight out of camera jpeg images, and not post processed..

..for sharpening, used the +4 setting, which is the default setting..

..and set the Auto Lighting Optimizer "Off"..

..found when using the Macro mode, had to be a little bit aways from the subjects in order for the camera to focus properly.. which means I cannot hold the lens right up close to the subjects.. so maybe using a close-up lens would helpful..

..thanks everyone for looking..

..SX70, sooc jpeg, macro mode..

..and happy shooting everyone,

..Cheers..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,691
Re: SX70, pictures using the Macro mode..

Basically, all macro lenses have a minimum focusing distance. Same for your camera. It should be written in the user manual. It could even be printed on the camera itself.

Aside from that, this camera is definitely a little jewel.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
jshen808
OP jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

benjilafouine wrote:

Basically, all macro lenses have a minimum focusing distance. Same for your camera. It should be written in the user manual. It could even be printed on the camera itself.

..Thanks very much, Benji!

..yes, I'm certain it's in the manual..

..but I'm more of hands on person to try things out..

..and yes the SX70 is definitely a little jewel that's waiting to be discovered..

..thanks for sharing about things, and happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,691

The hands on method is easy: start close and get slowly away until you hear the in focus beep!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
jshen808

benjilafouine wrote:

The hands on method is easy: start close and get slowly away until you hear the in focus beep!

..Thanks very much, Benji!

..yes, that's how I try to do it..

..thanks for sharing, and happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

Avian2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258

To me, these looks mighty fine. Nicely done John.

After 5000+ shots my findings are that this cam performs the best at telephoto mid-to-full zoom.

In addition, as you have demonstrated here, you can get good results using the Macro setting. With latter, you need to vary proximity to the object a bit to allow focus to lock.

The downside of this cam is, IMO, wide-angle capability. But as the story (usually) goes, compromises are inevitable.

-- hide signature --
Steen Bay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,418
Minimum focusing distance

benjilafouine wrote:

It's even better than that. The minimum focusing distance (from front of the lens) is shown below the zoom scale in the EVF (and LCD). You can see how it varies depending on the focal length (assuming it's the same with SX70 as with SX50/SX60).

jshen808

Avian2016 wrote:

To me, these looks mighty fine. Nicely done John.

After 5000+ shots my findings are that this cam performs the best at telephoto mid-to-full zoom.

In addition, as you have demonstrated here, you can get good results using the Macro setting. With latter, you need to vary proximity to the object a bit to allow focus to lock.

The downside of this cam is, IMO, wide-angle capability. But as the story (usually) goes, compromises are inevitable.

..Thanks very much, Avian!

..thanks for sharing your experiences with the SX70, and I agree with you on your assessment..

..I think for better results, best to not use the extreme wide and extreme long, to stay in the middle is preferred..

..and you know I'll be working on the wide angle captures in the future..

..thanks again for sharing, and happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

jshen808
Re: Minimum focusing distance

Steen Bay wrote:

benjilafouine wrote:

It's even better than that. The minimum focusing distance (from front of the lens) is shown below the zoom scale in the EVF (and LCD). You can see how it varies depending on the focal length (assuming it's the same with SX70 as with SX50/SX60).

..Thanks for sharing, Steen Bay!

..happy shooting my friend,

..Cheers..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads