GFX 50R, Techart Pro adapter, Canon EF 11-24 tests

Started Jan 13, 2019 | Discussions
cjb Regular Member • Posts: 358
GFX 50R, Techart Pro adapter, Canon EF 11-24 tests

Some background: I have a big trip coming up and I decided to purchase the GFX 50R, GF45 and GF110 with the recent aggressive markdowns. That means I'll be taking 3 bodies on this trip: Fuji X-H1, Canon 5DSr, and GFX 50R. Plus glass.

I have a number of Canon EF lenses I'm interested is being able to use on the GFX at some point, so I took the plunge and bought the Techart Pro adapter. The following represents some initial tests with the Canon EF 11-24 only. I have not tested other lenses yet, but based on some quick tests, I'm optimistic.

As a reference, I also took the same pictures using the same 11-24 with the 5DSR. All tests were on a tripod with aperture priority and 2s shutter delay. The cameras were allowed to do AWB and AF on their on. Both were AFS single shot. All tests were at ISO 400.

I'll be the first to say these tests are not rigorous nor complete, but they do represent some effort to compare things side by side.

Some observations:

• Techart says don't try to do AFC with the TechArt adapter. It might work, but probably not. That means no BIF with the GFX and a 400/2.8.
  • AF performance with the GFX 50R + 11-24 was acceptable, but noticeably slower than native Fuji lenses or with the 5DSR + 11/24. Focus hunted a little but, but locked. This might be different in low-light or low-contrast.
  • I tested just 2 apertures in this initial test. f4 and f8, and I thought those represented typical working apertures. I did not not notice any obvious surprises; there might be subtle differences between the 2 cameras, but not significant to my eye.
  • The Techart reported the 11-24 as 24mm, even when it was at 11 mm. Probably a bug.
  • The GFX has a 35mm Auto mode that will crop the sensor to about 30mp in order to avoid vignetting. I did not detect this feature initially, so wound up repeating the tests just to see the amount of vignetting that was happening. As a result, I have some tests with 30mp files and 50Mp GFX files. The amount of actual vignetting varies with focal length.
  • I can apply Canon 11-24 lens profiles to the GFX image using the latest LightRoom settings. Honestly, I thought the resulting images look pretty good.
  • I was shocked at the image quality from the GFX compared to the 5DSR. The GFX was noticeably better at the edges, even when comparing 30mp GFX files to 50mp 5DSR files. It makes me wonder if there was something off with my technique with the 5DSR, or if some other parameter was in play (e.g. AF differences, field curvature, or something).

Conclusion so far: The Techart adapter works, with limitations, of course. But it works well enough that you can be creative using Canon lenses on the GFX. Given my collection of Canon glass, I plan on keeping the adapter.

The following images are a small subset of the test. They are JPEG exports from LR, with lens profiles applied. All other LR settings were default, including color profiles and sharpening of the GFX images (which probably should be dialed back a bit). If I can find a place to post RAWs, I will.

5DSr + 11-24 at 11mm, f4

GFX 50R, 35mm AUTO ON, + 11-24 at 11mm, f4

GFX 50R, 35mm AUTO OFF, + 11-24 at 11mm, f4 (with vignetting)

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R +25 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 3,206
Re: GFX 50R, Techart Pro adapter, Canon EF 11-24 tests

cjb wrote:

That means I'll be taking 3 bodies on this trip: Fuji X-H1, Canon 5DSr, and GFX 50R. Plus glass.

How do you transport all that stuff?

OP cjb Regular Member • Posts: 358

Like most hoarders I have a bunch of bags. This is the one I'm using for my upcoming trip:

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-commuter

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R +25 more
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,750

cjb wrote:

Some background: I have a big trip coming up and I decided to purchase the GFX 50R, GF45 and GF110 with the recent aggressive markdowns. That means I'll be taking 3 bodies on this trip: Fuji X-H1, Canon 5DSr, and GFX 50R. Plus glass.

I have a number of Canon EF lenses I'm interested is being able to use on the GFX at some point, so I took the plunge and bought the Techart Pro adapter. The following represents some initial tests with the Canon EF 11-24 only. I have not tested other lenses yet, but based on some quick tests, I'm optimistic.

As a reference, I also took the same pictures using the same 11-24 with the 5DSR. All tests were on a tripod with aperture priority and 2s shutter delay. The cameras were allowed to do AWB and AF on their on. Both were AFS single shot. All tests were at ISO 400.

I'll be the first to say these tests are not rigorous nor complete, but they do represent some effort to compare things side by side.

Some observations:

• Techart says don't try to do AFC with the TechArt adapter. It might work, but probably not. That means no BIF with the GFX and a 400/2.8.
  • AF performance with the GFX 50R + 11-24 was acceptable, but noticeably slower than native Fuji lenses or with the 5DSR + 11/24. Focus hunted a little but, but locked. This might be different in low-light or low-contrast.
  • I tested just 2 apertures in this initial test. f4 and f8, and I thought those represented typical working apertures. I did not not notice any obvious surprises; there might be subtle differences between the 2 cameras, but not significant to my eye.
  • The Techart reported the 11-24 as 24mm, even when it was at 11 mm. Probably a bug.
  • The GFX has a 35mm Auto mode that will crop the sensor to about 30mp in order to avoid vignetting. I did not detect this feature initially, so wound up repeating the tests just to see the amount of vignetting that was happening. As a result, I have some tests with 30mp files and 50Mp GFX files. The amount of actual vignetting varies with focal length.
  • I can apply Canon 11-24 lens profiles to the GFX image using the latest LightRoom settings. Honestly, I thought the resulting images look pretty good.
  • I was shocked at the image quality from the GFX compared to the 5DSR. The GFX was noticeably better at the edges, even when comparing 30mp GFX files to 50mp 5DSR files. It makes me wonder if there was something off with my technique with the 5DSR, or if some other parameter was in play (e.g. AF differences, field curvature, or something).

Conclusion so far: The Techart adapter works, with limitations, of course. But it works well enough that you can be creative using Canon lenses on the GFX. Given my collection of Canon glass, I plan on keeping the adapter.

The following images are a small subset of the test. They are JPEG exports from LR, with lens profiles applied. All other LR settings were default, including color profiles and sharpening of the GFX images (which probably should be dialed back a bit). If I can find a place to post RAWs, I will.

5DSr + 11-24 at 11mm, f4

GFX 50R, 35mm AUTO ON, + 11-24 at 11mm, f4

GFX 50R, 35mm AUTO OFF, + 11-24 at 11mm, f4 (with vignetting)

Hi,

The rear baffle can be removed on that lens. It just snaps in.

There would still be vignetting from the hood.

http://hcam.de/de/26240193_1402114309901001_1714125394866458407_o.jpg

http://hcam.de/en/whatsnew.htm

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

dgovoni Contributing Member • Posts: 954

The Techart adapter only reports the correct focal length of a prime lens, I found. When using a zoom, it will register the focal length the lens is at when you turn the camera on. If you change the focal length during shooting, it doesn't send that to the camera.

I reported this soon after it was released but they tend to be non-responsive. On some lenses I found that as you dial through the f-stops, it will incorrectly report that. For example, I used an f4 canon lens that when setting the f-stop it went to f2.8. I reported that too.

Don't expect much customer support from them. The last firmware release was to support 35mm mode and that was last June.

Dennis

RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 331

Very cool.  I am probably going to upgrade to a D850 from a D750 now, but I have seen a lot of good results with adapted glass.  I will probably go with a used GFX50S when the time comes.  I am interested to see how it resolves through long Nikkor glass.

I have a 600mmf5.6 AI that I love.  I should really rent one from someplace first.

vsk

RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +21 more
buggz
buggz Regular Member • Posts: 314

Thanks very much for this information.

Looks as if the GFX in 35mm mode is a touch wider.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads