P1000 on Modified Manfrotto 293 support - Final

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,146
P1000 on Modified Manfrotto 293 support - Final

Here is a pic (and explanation) of my final modification to mount my P1000 and provide lens support to eliminate the lens 'droop' issue at long distances. In my previous pic of this setup, I had a proof of concept version which I then modified with a hard rubber support. It worked great.... but frankly it looked like crap.

So, I took my original Manfrotto 293 support (see Adorama or B&H) and cut the slide shorter with a jig saw and heavy metal saw blade. Measured it to support the camera lens housing at exactly the end of the fixed barrel housing (not touching the lens extension) and tightened everything down. NIce and level but did it work to eliminate the droop.

I picked a point in a tree trunk that was white and easy to see at long distance and set the camera at 24 mm and sighted it in, using the EVF, to the middle of the white spot on the tree. The tree was 173 yards away measured with a good distance measuring scope. I then watched the LCD as I zoomed in to 3000 mm and landed right on the white spot. Tried is several times and it worked each time....no droop.

So how do i like it?? Well... I ordered the Alcatel PL-P1000T Dovetail Plate discussed here because IF it works just as well as this modified 293, it will be a dream!!! I could keep the plate on the P1000 all the time ...for if using on a tripod or handheld. It's small and easy. But it will have to pass my 173 yard test. The Manfrotto 293 was $80 and I have had it for years to use with my D800 and long lenses. Still around $80 today. PS.....the Manfrotto base plate is 150mm with a QR plate mounted on the bottom.

Here is the set-up. Took about 2 hours to modify once I figured out what I wanted to do and how,

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56582921@N05/
--
Nikon D800, V1, V2, P1000 & Lumix LX7, ZS40
"I never read, I just look at pictures"- Andy Warhol

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,415
Re: P1000 on Modified Manfrotto 293 support - Final

Looks great, let us know how it works in the field!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Riccurxx New Member • Posts: 7

Looking at the newer model of the 293, is it possible all you would need to do is reverse the top plate and not have to modify it at all? Link below.  Of course there would be a portion of the metal top plate sticking out but would it work?

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-293-Telephoto-Lens-Support/dp/B001BX3ZXE/ref=asc_df_B001BX3ZXE/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138290082&psc=1

Microshooter
OP Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,146

Riccurxx wrote:

Looking at the newer model of the 293, is it possible all you would need to do is reverse the top plate and not have to modify it at all? Link below. Of course there would be a portion of the metal top plate sticking out but would it work?

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-293-Telephoto-Lens-Support/dp/B001BX3ZXE/ref=asc_df_B001BX3ZXE/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138290082&psc=1

That was my first thought also, but it does not work. If you reverse the plate, the lens rest is closer to the front of the camera body and the holes are sticking out and away from the bottom plate. Therefore with the nearest hole to reattach the reversed the plate, the rest would not be very far away from the camera.... and IMO would not provide the distance I felt was necessary to provide support for the longer lens extension.

Taking the top plate and cutting it off was the solution I chose. And it was rather easy with the jig saw. I used the power saw because the metal on sliding top piece was rather heavy also. Filing the edges and some touch up didn’t take much time either.

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
--

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more
Microshooter

KJaay wrote:

Looks great, let us know how it works in the field!

Thanks KJaay... I agree....it looks like it was meant for the P1000...and I guess it eventually was.

Happy shooting!!

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
--

Rob Kipp
Rob Kipp Regular Member • Posts: 272

Microshooter wrote:

Here is a pic (and explanation) of my final modification to mount my P1000 and provide lens support to eliminate the lens 'droop' issue at long distances. In my previous pic of this setup, I had a proof of concept version which I then modified with a hard rubber support. It worked great.... but frankly it looked like crap.

So, I took my original Manfrotto 293 support (see Adorama or B&H) and cut the slide shorter with a jig saw and heavy metal saw blade. Measured it to support the camera lens housing at exactly the end of the fixed barrel housing (not touching the lens extension) and tightened everything down. NIce and level but did it work to eliminate the droop.

I picked a point in a tree trunk that was white and easy to see at long distance and set the camera at 24 mm and sighted it in, using the EVF, to the middle of the white spot on the tree. The tree was 173 yards away measured with a good distance measuring scope. I then watched the LCD as I zoomed in to 3000 mm and landed right on the white spot. Tried is several times and it worked each time....no droop.

So how do i like it?? Well... I ordered the Alcatel PL-P1000T Dovetail Plate discussed here because IF it works just as well as this modified 293, it will be a dream!!! I could keep the plate on the P1000 all the time ...for if using on a tripod or handheld. It's small and easy. But it will have to pass my 173 yard test. The Manfrotto 293 was $80 and I have had it for years to use with my D800 and long lenses. Still around $80 today. PS.....the Manfrotto base plate is 150mm with a QR plate mounted on the bottom.

Here is the set-up. Took about 2 hours to modify once I figured out what I wanted to do and how,

Hello Dan - Your Manfrotto 293 support looks quite sturdy which is a HUGE plus when out in the field.  I am curious about two things and was wondering if you had answers for either.   1.   does your support have the ability to go from Horizontal to Portrait orientation?  I am assuming a strap would be needed if it does.  2.  Does the Manfrotto plate for this support have the ability to accept Swiss Arca plate so I could use my other plates if I wanted to switch quickly.

Thank you,

Rob

Rob Kipp's gear list:Rob Kipp's gear list
Nikon D800E
Microshooter

Rob Kipp wrote:

Microshooter wrote:

Hello Dan - Your Manfrotto 293 support looks quite sturdy which is a HUGE plus when out in the field. I am curious about two things and was wondering if you had answers for either. 1. does your support have the ability to go from Horizontal to Portrait orientation? I am assuming a strap would be needed if it does. 2. Does the Manfrotto plate for this support have the ability to accept Swiss Arca plate so I could use my other plates if I wanted to switch quickly.

Thank you,

Rob

Hi Ron,

It is sturdy, a plus..and bulky, a minus. (And the reason I got the Dovetail plate on order.

The Swiss Arca Plate is on the bottom of the 293 and attached to the Swiss Arca mount on the tripod...so the whole unit comes off. Manfrotto stuff us usually propriatary and they use mostly their own plates I think. If you mean that you want to swap  cameras on the 293 then no...unless you buy Manfrotto plates to put on you other cameras and mount on the 293.  I would just take the whole 293 off and put a new camera w/Arca QR  on the tripod ball head. Just consider the 293 dedicated to the P1000. See the picture at the mount.

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
--

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,777

..Looks great, thanks for sharing this!

..Cheers..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,590

It seems very good, Dan, congratulations!

Because I prefer to shoot handheld, as you know, I think however my Hama tripod is good enough as it is, for a few occasions I have to use it

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Rob Kipp

Rob Kipp wrote:

Microshooter wrote:

Hello Dan - Your Manfrotto 293 support looks quite sturdy which is a HUGE plus when out in the field. I am curious about two things and was wondering if you had answers for either. 1. does your support have the ability to go from Horizontal to Portrait orientation? I am assuming a strap would be needed if it does. 2. Does the Manfrotto plate for this support have the ability to accept Swiss Arca plate so I could use my other plates if I wanted to switch quickly.

Thank you,

Rob

Dan-   Your setup looks like it will work, but looks quite high above the head its supported on so when used in portrait mode. Just curious as to what the strap is made of. Also added weight of 1.5/lbs is a lot. My 3D parts should arrive this weekend so I will have something else to try, hopefully that works or else I will be heading over to your build.

Rob

Nikon D800E
Microshooter

Rob Kipp wrote:

Rob Kipp wrote:

Microshooter wrote:

Thank you,

Rob

Dan- Your setup looks like it will work, but looks quite high above the head its supported on so when used in portrait mode. Just curious as to what the strap is made of. Also added weight of 1.5/lbs is a lot. My 3D parts should arrive this weekend so I will have something else to try, hopefully that works or else I will be heading over to your build.

Rob

Thanks Rob....it actually works perfectly! But only in landscape mode. I took off the strap. if I want to shoot portrait I will take it off of crop. This is really only for far away wildlife shots for me. The 3D part looks very good and my friend has a printer and would print it for me for free (we excange low cost favors,,,haha), but to be honest I am really foping the dovetail plate that Joe posted last week will work and I won't even have to use this one. I ordered the next to last one they had at the time and should get it in a few weeks. If it works, then that plate will stay on my camera and I'll be a happy camper.

Also,,,, I found that my fluid pan head, at long distances, is much better (easier and quicker) for me to use than my ball head.

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
--

Rob Kipp

Microshooter wrote:

Thanks Rob....it actually works perfectly! But only in landscape mode. I took off the strap. if I want to shoot portrait I will take it off of crop. This is really only for far away wildlife shots for me. The 3D part looks very good and my friend has a printer and would print it for me for free (we excange low cost favors,,,haha), but to be honest I am really foping the dovetail plate that Joe posted last week will work and I won't even have to use this one. I ordered the next to last one they had at the time and should get it in a few weeks. If it works, then that plate will stay on my camera and I'll be a happy camper.

Also,,,, I found that my fluid pan head, at long distances, is much better (easier and quicker) for me to use than my ball head.

Dan- Thank you for your reply. One of the reasons why I didn't like the Lim’s Quick Release Camera Tripod Dovetail for Nikon P1000 is that the plate did not extend far enough forward to allow me to "balance" the P1000 with the lens extended to 2000-3000mm, so I gave up on it.  I just tested it again when you made a comment that if the plate stays on the camera, then you would be happy.  I did a test using the Lim's plate using the tripod head Sherm suggested to me which has a drag on it holding the position you pick without tightening down the handle/clamp. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2XCPGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  At 2000-3000mm it held without drooping down.  With taking off the camera, I could position the head from Landscape to Portrait mode.  If I filed that knob down slightly, I could probably flip to either mode without removing the camera from the head.

Maybe this plate will work best for me after-all, it looks well made and sturdy on the tripod head.  Thanks Dan.  This might be it without the 3D printer options coming today.

Rob

Nikon D800E
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads