Amazing on paper, not so good for me

Started Oct 24, 2018 | User reviews
Horsedino
Horsedino Forum Member • Posts: 92
Amazing on paper, not so good for me

I used to shoot RE and church services with my old a58 + kit lens. I needed a wide angle lens to shoot RE and a faster lens to shoot church services. So a friend introduced me the a6000.

I borrowed it for a week, shot some RE and test it out during a church service she was also shooting at. It was love at first sight so I bought one for myself!

I could just have bough new lenses, but the idea of a new camera was whispering in my ears lol.

In the beggining It was quite a good camera, felt more solid than my a58, AF was much faster, much more AF points, could use iso a little more than 1 stop higher than I did with my a58, in camera flash was quite usable and video was really great!

I ended up buying some vintage glass as the canon fd 50mm f1.4 since the sony 50mm f1.8 oss is too expensive and I also bought the samyang 12mm  f2 for RE, as the kit lens is not very sharp and not wide enough.

After many events, church services, a wedding, some portrait shoots I decided the a6000 was not for me. Here is why:

Every event I shoot with both a58 and a6000 I liked the pics from the a58 much more! (colors)

Even though I could get 1 stop higher iso with my a6000, the a58 sensor has stabilization and I can shoot on lower speeds. - depending on what the a6000 is still better for lowlight but it's not 1 stop, it's less.

AF on the a6000 isn't always reliable, too many points and no way to change them fast.

AF lenses are very pricey.

It focus up to -0ev so AF is pretty useless in lowlight.

Doesn't work with flash focus assist. keep that in mind. - sony developed a flash that uses led light as focus assist, this might work but it's very pricey.

After 8 months of use I had issues with the shutter button. So the camera wouldn't work for 3 days during an event. Glad I had another a6000 and the a58 with me at the time. But I had to set back button focus in order to keep shooting with it. This issue didn't bother me much afterwards.

- to shoot RE  the a6000 + samyang 12mm f2 is amazing! Very sharp images, really good dinamic range, so it paid itself through time. But for pretty much everything else my weapon of choice is the a58. - I'm  actually shooting RE with the a58 + tokina 11-16 f2.8 right now because it has in sensor stabilization, I can't shoot raw with a6000 play memories app and I have a bad tripod, so I lose some pics when shooting with my a6000 even though I'm using 2s timer. So with the a58 I don't have any shake at all. -  But this can be fixed with a better tripod!

It good to mention the EVF on the a6000 is much better, the video is MUCH better and the customization is PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

Who is this camera for?

Landscape on a budget. Paired with the samyang 12mm f2 the image quality is superb!

Real State Photography. Same as above!

Travel Photography: The camera is quite small. If you want an ILC it's a very good deal. The wifi also helps to  share your jpegs and mp4 videos to your mobile. It recharges  without the need of a charger, but you might need some extra batteries.

Portraits: The colors aren't as good as some other cameras, but paired with a good lens the results are very good. It has EYE AF so you won't be missing the eyes.

Event shooters who use continuous light: the camera doesn't focus in lowlight with flash focus assist, but if you use continuous light such as led pannels then it should work just fine.

Video: The video  quality is quite good. in camera mic is at least decent, but you'll need an external recorder.

It's a good backup camera, and some people shoot really good stuff with it. It's just not the best tool for me. Wish I bought an a77 instead.

-- hide signature --

Just a random camera nerd who likes Sony little perks.

Horsedino's gear list:Horsedino's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Sony a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
Horsedino's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
bad
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS / Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,083
Re: Amazing on paper, not so good for me

Horsedino wrote:

I used to shoot RE and church services with my old a58 + kit lens. I needed a wide angle lens to shoot RE and a faster lens to shoot church services. So a friend introduced me the a6000.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's RE?

I borrowed it for a week, shot some RE and test it out during a church service she was also shooting at. It was love at first sight so I bought one for myself!

I could just have bough new lenses, but the idea of a new camera was whispering in my ears lol.

In the beggining It was quite a good camera, felt more solid than my a58, AF was much faster, much more AF points, could use iso a little more than 1 stop higher than I did with my a58, in camera flash was quite usable and video was really great!

I ended up buying some vintage glass as the canon fd 50mm f1.4 since the sony 50mm f1.8 oss is too expensive and I also bought the samyang 12mm f2 for RE, as the kit lens is not very sharp and not wide enough.

After many events, church services, a wedding, some portrait shoots I decided the a6000 was not for me. Here is why:

Every event I shoot with both a58 and a6000 I liked the pics from the a58 much more! (colors)

Why is that a problem if you shoot RAW?

Even though I could get 1 stop higher iso with my a6000, the a58 sensor has stabilization and I can shoot on lower speeds. - depending on what the a6000 is still better for lowlight but it's not 1 stop, it's less.

AF on the a6000 isn't always reliable, too many points and no way to change them fast.

What focus area were you using?

Doesn't work with flash focus assist. keep that in mind. - sony developed a flash that uses led light as focus assist, this might work but it's very pricey.

After 8 months of use I had issues with the shutter button. So the camera wouldn't work for 3 days during an event. Glad I had another a6000 and the a58 with me at the time. But I had to set back button focus in order to keep shooting with it. This issue didn't bother me much afterwards.

- to shoot RE the a6000 + samyang 12mm f2 is amazing! Very sharp images, really good dinamic range, so it paid itself through time. But for pretty much everything else my weapon of choice is the a58. - I'm actually shooting RE with the a58 + tokina 11-16 f2.8 right now because it has in sensor stabilization, I can't shoot raw with a6000 play memories app

Yes you can, you just have to choose RAW+JPEG after starting the app/

and I have a bad tripod, so I lose some pics when shooting with my a6000 even though I'm using 2s timer. So with the a58 I don't have any shake at all. - But this can be fixed with a better tripod!

It good to mention the EVF on the a6000 is much better, the video is MUCH better and the customization is PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

Who is this camera for?

Landscape on a budget. Paired with the samyang 12mm f2 the image quality is superb!

Travel Photography: The camera is quite small. If you want an ILC it's a very good deal. The wifi also helps to share your jpegs and mp4 videos to your mobile. It recharges without the need of a charger, but you might need some extra batteries.

Portraits: The colors aren't as good as some other cameras, but paired with a good lens the results are very good. It has EYE AF so you won't be missing the eyes.

Event shooters who use continuous light: the camera doesn't focus in lowlight with flash focus assist, but if you use continuous light such as led pannels then it should work just fine.

Video: The video quality is quite good. in camera mic is at least decent, but you'll need an external recorder.

It's a good backup camera, and some people shoot really good stuff with it. It's just not the best tool for me. Wish I bought an a77 instead.

The A6000 is quite an old camera now, having been released almost five years ago. It was superseded years ago by the A6300, and then by the A6500, which has IBIS (which might have helped you, with your non-stabilised lenses). People are now expecting the A6500, in turn, to be superseded shortly.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Horsedino
OP Horsedino Forum Member • Posts: 92

Digital Nigel wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's RE?

Real State Photography.

I ended up buying some vintage glass as the canon fd 50mm f1.4 since the sony 50mm f1.8 oss is too expensive and I also bought the samyang 12mm f2 for RE, as the kit lens is not very sharp and not wide enough.

Why is that a problem if you shoot RAW?

What focus area were you using?

I haven't been using AF lately. for video is pretty good.

I probably tested every focus area and focus type.

But the AF reability also come from lots of tests Ive seen. the a6000 misses a lot unfortunatelly.

If I'm shooting wide, which is what I usually do it usually don't focus where I want it to. And there is no way to quickly change to MF on the body. Unless I assign one of the already few buttons I have.

- to shoot RE the a6000 + samyang 12mm f2 is amazing! Very sharp images, really good dinamic range, so it paid itself through time. But for pretty much everything else my weapon of choice is the a58. - I'm actually shooting RE with the a58 + tokina 11-16 f2.8 right now because it has in sensor stabilization, I can't shoot raw with a6000 play memories app

Yes you can, you just have to choose RAW+JPEG after starting the app/

I was quite unsure when I wrote this. Thanks for correcting me.

and I have a bad tripod, so I lose some pics when shooting with my a6000 even though I'm using 2s timer. So with the a58 I don't have any shake at all. - But this can be fixed with a better tripod!

Who is this camera for?

Travel Photography: The camera is quite small. If you want an ILC it's a very good deal. The wifi also helps to share your jpegs and mp4 videos to your mobile. It recharges without the need of a charger, but you might need some extra batteries.

Video: The video quality is quite good. in camera mic is at least decent, but you'll need an external recorder.

The A6000 is quite an old camera now, having been released almost five years ago. It was superseded years ago by the A6300, and then by the A6500, which has IBIS (which might have helped you, with your non-stabilised lenses). People are now expecting the A6500, in turn, to be superseded shortly.

Yes, the a6000 is old by now. I'm quite well aware of the a6300 and a6500 upgrades. I could invest in an a6300 by now, but I decided to buy an a77 which it a MUCH better camera for ME. I don't have the money to buy an a6500. And the a6500 has a much better IBIS than the one they make for a-mount. 5 axis instead of 3 axis.

There are some reasons I purchasted the a77 instead of an upgrade to the a6000.

colors(love a-mount colors a lot!)

amazing lcd screen(much more angle possibilities, making it much easier to shoot from a tripod)

stabilization(couldn't buy an a6500, only an a6300)

more buttons(really helpful for events where I need to change everything faster)

dial to move focus points (I'm so happy to have one!)

cheaper lenses (people are selling a-mount lenses so cheap I don't mind jumping to a dead end, for now)

Anyways... by now you realized I'm an a-mount fan and I preach a-mount to people lol... But that's just my personal preference due to the things I pointed above.

The a6000 is a very good camera though, just a bit dissapointing in some areas. I wans't happy with the results when I compared it to my other even older camera. So I decided to make the switch back to a-mount.

I still use the a6000 for RE video though. I'm keeping it for longer because I do have some use to it. And sometimes I do use it for social media. I just  won't use it as my main camera anymore, nor will I use it for events. (only as backup)

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,144

Sorry to hear your not liking your A6000, why not look at the A68 . Works well even at iso 6400 .

. These are jpeg sooc.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D3300 +1 more
Horsedino

I would buy an a68, and someday I might will! Unfortunatelly there isn't a single a68 for sale in Brazil! So I had to import and exchange rates are pretty high for now!

I was in between the a77ii and the a99 as my next body, but my a58(which is my old trusty workhorse is having some issues and need repair) so I needed to buy another body fast. Was in between the a68 and the a77. Wanted an a77 for weather sealing and the a68 for eye af. Chose the a77 becase there ain't a single a68 in my country lol...
I might buy one in future as a backup though!

Nice pics! This iso actually impresses me! jpegs from camera? or raw edited in lightroom?

I don't hate my a6000, it never leaves my bag. But I do like my other cameras a lot more! haha. So, I regret not buying the a77 before instead of buying the a6000. I was on the hype, bought with my heart not with my head.

At least I can use some vintage lenses on my a6000, I'm keeping it until I buy a petzval! lol

-- hide signature --

roneybr Regular Member • Posts: 201

Im glad to see another brazilian photographer here.

I was using A6000 for a long time, recently made a upgrade for A6300. With my old A6000 I was shooting portrait and a lot of music events. Color was Ok for me and when i was want better just using DxO and switch profile for Canon or A7R configs.

That camera is awesome in events and low light situations. Focus points and eye af save my life a lot of times. Today with A6300 I feel in the heaven. Ok, i only use sony glass and old takumar lenses.

I'll send a message for you, in portuguese...lol

roneybr's gear list:roneybr's gear list
A3000 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,144

Horsedino wrote:

I would buy an a68, and someday I might will! Unfortunatelly there isn't a single a68 for sale in Brazil! So I had to import and exchange rates are pretty high for now!

I was in between the a77ii and the a99 as my next body, but my a58(which is my old trusty workhorse is having some issues and need repair) so I needed to buy another body fast. Was in between the a68 and the a77. Wanted an a77 for weather sealing and the a68 for eye af. Chose the a77 becase there ain't a single a68 in my country lol...

Nice pics! This iso actually impresses me! jpegs from camera? or raw edited in lightroom?

jpeg straight from camera. Vivid with auto dro .

I don't hate my a6000, it never leaves my bag. But I do like my other cameras a lot more! haha. So, I regret not buying the a77 before instead of buying the a6000. I was on the hype, bought with my heart not with my head.

At least I can use some vintage lenses on my a6000, I'm keeping it until I buy a petzval! lol

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D3300 +1 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,314

Horsedino wrote:

That's too bad. I suspect the A68 shares much of the sealing of the A77II, but I haven't taken both apart to verify that.

The older sensor and processing in the A77 is a bit of a downgrade, but it should be an AF upgrade from the A58 and have better video quality.

I feel similarly about the A6000 especially about the unreliable AF. I am leaning towards replacing mine with an A5100 for the more comfortable form factor and touch screen.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +133 more
zild1221 Forum Member • Posts: 74

QuietOC wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

That's too bad. I suspect the A68 shares much of the sealing of the A77II, but I haven't taken both apart to verify that.

The older sensor and processing in the A77 is a bit of a downgrade, but it should be an AF upgrade from the A58 and have better video quality.

I feel similarly about the A6000 especially about the unreliable AF. I am leaning towards replacing mine with an A5100 for the more comfortable form factor and touch screen.

I have an a5100 and regret not getting the 6000. Not having a view finder is impossible. I do like how compact it is  but that only matters if you plan on using the kit lens really.

Horsedino

QuietOC wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

At first I thought to be a downgrade. But it's a body that makes the experience of photography much more enjoyable. And there are more more buttons to change settings without going through the menu or FN.
And the EVF is really wonderful! Much better than the a6000.
The a68 doesnt have any weather sealing! But it has eye af which is amazing.

Don't get the a5100! No viewfinder is a nightmare! I use the lcd a lot but the EVF comes in handy some many times... But... It's actually your choice in the end hahaha... I prefer the factor of an a77 with grip xD

-- hide signature --

QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,314

Horsedino wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

At first I thought to be a downgrade. But it's a body that makes the experience of photography much more enjoyable. And there are more more buttons to change settings without going through the menu or FN.

I find some of the buttons the A68 borrows from the A77 to be poorly placed. I wish the A68 could emulate the E-mount controls.

I appreciate the battery life of the A68. I had to swap batteries half way through the day when I used the A65. The A77 is rated a bit worse than the A65--maybe that is just becsuse of the stronger flash.

That's surprising. I thought the A77 used the same EVF as the A65, and I find the A68 EVF to be much better than that one--brighter, more dynamic range--shadow detail, less distortion, easier to see the corners.

The actual unit and optics of the A6000 EVF are better than the A68, but the range-finder placement is worse for me.

The A68 definitely has some sealing. Eye AF is not very useful on it.

Don't get the a5100! No viewfinder is a nightmare!

I already owned the A5000. I sometimes think the A6000 screen is harder to see in bright light than the A5000 screen, but I didn't test that while I owned both.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +133 more
Horsedino

QuietOC wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Horsedino wrote:

I find some of the buttons the A68 borrows from the A77 to be poorly placed. I wish the A68 could emulate the E-mount controls.

I appreciate the battery life of the A68. I had to swap batteries half way through the day when I used the A65. The A77 is rated a bit worse than the A65--maybe that is just becsuse of the stronger flash.

I see. The a68 might have the same placement of the a58. I"m used to it but I prefer the a77's controls. As for battery life I have yet to test the a77 with my battery from the a58. Both are original but I'm not sure which battery is in better condition.

That's surprising. I thought the A77 used the same EVF as the A65, and I find the A68 EVF to be much better than that one--brighter, more dynamic range--shadow detail, less distortion, easier to see the corners.

The actual unit and optics of the A6000 EVF are better than the A68, but the range-finder placement is worse for me.

I thought it to be surprising too! One of the main specs of the a6000 which made me buy it was the better EVF than my a58(which had terrible quality and I had some sight problems because of it.
But the a77's EVF is even better! Bigger than the one in the a6000. So it pleases me much more.

The A68 definitely has some sealing. Eye AF is not very useful on it.

Nice! Sony doesn't say it has anyways. But why not? Isn't the same EYE AF from their other cameras? People tend to use EYE AF  AF-C

Don't get the a5100! No viewfinder is a nightmare!

I already owned the A5000. I sometimes think the A6000 screen is harder to see in bright light than the A5000 screen, but I didn't test that while I owned both.

Oh, I see. But its very personal I think... Played with a camera which didnt have a viewfinder... But it's a much older mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads