Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug

Started Oct 7, 2018 | Discussions
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,161
Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug

I have encountered a bug whilst batch processing HDR images in Aurora HDR 2019 v1.0.0 (2549).

The problem appears when enabling deghosting when batch processing.

See samples below:

Non Batch Processed Image (single processed 3 shot HDR)

Ghost Reduction = Enabled
Reference image = Medium EV
Amount = Low
Color Denoise = Enabled
Chromatic Aberration Removal = Enabled
Exported with Sharpen: Low

Non Batch Processed with Deghosting enabled - No problems with image.

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
OP DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,161
Re: Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug

Batch Processed Image

Sharpen: Low
Color Denoise = Enabled
Ghost Reduction = Disabled
Amount = Low

Batch Processed image with Deghosting disabled - Image is good, but shows some ghosting.

Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more

Batch Processed Image

Sharpen: Low
Color Denoise = Enabled
Ghost Reduction = Enabled
Amount = Low

Batch Processed Image with Deghosting enabled - Image has "blooming" aberrations (clearly noticeable around power lines/trees)

I have reported this to Skylum support, and will direct them to this thread for input.

NOTE 1: I am running the PC version of Aurora HDR 2019 on Windows 7 Pro x64.

NOTE 2: the bug also appears in the batch processing mode in the last PC version of Aurora HDR 2018 as well.

Den

camfan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 804
Re: Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... Batch processings frequent crashes ! ...

Hi all,

I'm afraid that's not the only problem with Batch processings.

Unfortunately it gets worse when you want to Bach process many RAW (RWL-Leica) pictures.

Then, and on 2 very different Windows 10 systems, it crashes very frequently.

Sometimes after 5 HDR sets, sometimes after 100 ... and this with exactly the same pictures, but crashes at different time en pics.

Seems to be some kind of memory corruption bug !?

Please test this yourselves.

It  must be due to the new 2019 version because with the exact same RWL pictures and settings it NEVER happens in Aurora HDR 2018 !!!

But YMMV !???

Kind regards,

Stefaan

camfan1's gear list:camfan1's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)

Just an update for anyone else that's interested.

I received a response from Skylum support today, requesting copies of the above original raw files for their testing. So I zipped up the three bracket raw images, then uploaded it to a file server, then sent them the direct link for them to download.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they provide a fix.

I'll post further updates here.

Den

Re: Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug

I just attempted another batch processing test, and found another bug.
I wanted to process 120 images (40 x 3 bracket images), and Aurora cancels after creating 31 HDR images.

Message returned was "Batch Process Cancelled"

Anyone else encountered this bug?

Den

Ok, another update.

I found out what caused the batch process to cancel abruptly.

The Aurora HDR batch detection algorithm is incorrectly detecting then grouping the wrong images.

I have sent support@skylum.com 6 raw images (2x3 bracketed images) to test the batch process themselves. They'll notice the Aurora HDR algorithm fails to recognise them as 3 image sets, and adds the first image of the second set as a fourth bracket image to the first set.

I don't know why the Aurora HDR coders didn't just allow the user to set the number of bracket images manually before initiating the batch process, like every other HDR application???

I must say, so far, I'm pretty disappointed with Aurora HDR's lack of bug testing before release. My needs are pretty basic, and every other HDR package I've used doesn't have any problems processing my test images.

All I can say is thank god I didn't buy this "beta" software, its clearly buggy as hell and not ready for a prime time release. I'm still testing the fully functioning trial version.

Den

Re: Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... more serious I'm afraid ! ...

Hi Den,

I'm afraid that's not even the whole story ... even when the Batch detection algorithm works correctly it will/may fail/crash to DESKTOP at *any* time !

I used the EXACT same batches many times and it fails at all times! ... but sometimes at the first HDR bracketed images, at other occasions after 100 or so.

My guess is that we are seeing a serious memory corruption bug here and it will be there at all times, probably even for non-batch bracketed/singel? images.

I notified Support asap, but until now got no feedback whatsoever.

OTOH Aurora HDR 2018 does or did *not* have this problem (at least not with my Leica RWL/RAW files) . Aurora 2019 has problems with this.

But YMMV,

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
Re: Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... more serious I'm afraid ! ...

camfan1 wrote:

Hi Den,

I'm afraid that's not even the whole story ... even when the Batch detection algorithm works correctly it will/may fail/crash to DESKTOP at *any* time !

I used the EXACT same batches many times and it fails at all times! ... but sometimes at the first HDR bracketed images, at other occasions after 100 or so.

My guess is that we are seeing a serious memory corruption bug here and it will be there at all times, probably even for non-batch bracketed/singel? images.

I notified Support asap, but until now got no feedback whatsoever.

OTOH Aurora HDR 2018 does or did *not* have this problem (at least not with my Leica RWL/RAW files) . Aurora 2019 has problems with this.

But YMMV,

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Hi Stefaan,

I did try the last version of Aurora HDR 2018, and encountered the same "blooming" aberration bug, so I didn't test it beyond that.

I have come up with a workaround to bypass Aurora's batch processing algorithm, by running Aurora via the Lightroom plugin in single processing mode and processing three files at a time, then repeating the process with a mouse/keyboard recorder for all images in a batch.

It works properly, but takes 2:30 minutes to process/produce each HDR image, over a minute longer per HDR image than in Aurora's batch processing mode.

Den

DenImage wrote:

Ok, another update.

I found out what caused the batch process to cancel abruptly.

The Aurora HDR batch detection algorithm is incorrectly detecting then grouping the wrong images.

I have sent support@skylum.com 6 raw images (2x3 bracketed images) to test the batch process themselves. They'll notice the Aurora HDR algorithm fails to recognise them as 3 image sets, and adds the first image of the second set as a fourth bracket image to the first set.

I don't know why the Aurora HDR coders didn't just allow the user to set the number of bracket images manually before initiating the batch process, like every other HDR application???

I must say, so far, I'm pretty disappointed with Aurora HDR's lack of bug testing before release. My needs are pretty basic, and every other HDR package I've used doesn't have any problems processing my test images.

All I can say is thank god I didn't buy this "beta" software, its clearly buggy as hell and not ready for a prime time release. I'm still testing the fully functioning trial version.

Den

Update from a few moments ago.

Skylum support suggested for the meantime: "I'd recommend trying to drag and drop photos into bracket groups of your choice - this way you'll be able to override Aurora's automatic bracket detection"

I replied by telling him "Unfortunately I process a minimum of 120 images at a time, which means dragging and dropping 3 image groups 40 times, to guarantee that Aurora processes the images correctly. A bit unreasonable to be considered practical don't you think?"

Den

Re: Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... indeed unreasonable ...

Thanks Den !

Of course it is unreasonable !

In other HDR softwares we have the option to also set the number of bracketed photos ourselves and many additional (batch processing) options to do so ... manual, semi automatic, fully automated (EasyHDR, Photomatrix ...)

Most probably only a few percentage of users consider the Batch Option viable, maybe that's why it got less attention !???

Here's hopin' they will soon fix the issues a.o. yours and the crash-to-desktop Bach issue.

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
Re: Another Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... indeed unreasonable ...

Another update.

I was told that the "blooming" aberration issue will be fixed in the next update.

We'll see eh?

They thanked me for the 6 images I sent them the direct link for, and said they would look at the bracketed group detection problem.

Den

GeoPal
GeoPal Regular Member • Posts: 252

I can also confirm there is a bug in Aurora 2018 with batch processing.

One and same set of files and processing settings, two WAY different results. This is just not right for software claming to be the best in class! Hope Skylum manages to fix this if they really want to be number one and used by professionals.

Cheers!

Manual processing

Batch processing

Yep, that's the same "blooming" aberration (noticeable around the top of the cranes) I was getting. At least it's not just me 😉

Have you emailed the samples to Skylum "support"?

Den

GeoPal

No, but they are aware of the problem and working on it (from their words) with no ETA on releasing the fix. Hope they do it right and the software becomes more useful!

GeoPal wrote:

No, but they are aware of the problem and working on it (from their words) with no ETA on releasing the fix. Hope they do it right and the software becomes more useful!

Yeah I just read your post (and their response) in their "support" forum:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360025568931-Aurora-HDR-2019-batch-processing-bug?page=1#community_comment_360002818952

We'll have to wait and see how long it takes for them to fix their buggy software.

I would highly recommend that other users avoid Aurora HDR 2019 until they release a version which actually works properly. Because right now, their software is a joke.

Skylum, all hype no substance.

Den

GeoPal

Yes, exactly my thoughts too! Far from production tool yet, though it has some great functionality...just hope they make it working.

G

Re: Aurora HDR 2019 batch processing bug ... crashes ... at will ...

Hi,

You guys are still lucky !

The new 2019 versions simply crashes in Batch processing my D-Lux 109 RWL files at any time. Sometimes after 5 pics, sometimes 100.

Same picture batches work flawlessly in the old 2018 version.

I reported this to support weeks ago but never got a reply.

I also recommend people to stick with the 2018 version (or e.g. get "EasyHDR" instead  ... which never gave or gives me any problems up to this day).

But YMMV

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)

camfan1 wrote:

Hi,

You guys are still lucky !

The new 2019 versions simply crashes in Batch processing my D-Lux 109 RWL files at any time. Sometimes after 5 pics, sometimes 100.

Same picture batches work flawlessly in the old 2018 version.

I reported this to support weeks ago but never got a reply.

I also recommend people to stick with the 2018 version (or e.g. get "EasyHDR" instead ... which never gave or gives me any problems up to this day).

But YMMV

Kind regards,

Stefaan

It's been over two Months now since I reported the bugs, and still no fixes.

Skylum talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

FYI Stefaan, I also tested Aurora HDR 2018, and it has the batch processing bugs as Aurora HDR 2019.

Den

Over 3 Months now, and Skylum still haven't fixed anything.

Slylum "support" is a joke.

Den

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads