70th Birthday Prize: rx100m6 ordered. due 7/11/18

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,540
70th Birthday Prize: rx100m6 ordered. due 7/11/18

I'm turning 70 in August, don't I deserve a treat?

I have been jumping around like a cricket: RX10m4 or rx100m6?????? I only do fixed lens Jpegs. Both horrible prices, but as has been true since 2012, both lenses worth the price themselves. Friends at dinner last night were aghast that I (Donna) would spend $1,200. for a pocket camera.

50, 60, 70, these artificial humps when we self delude ourselves, are when I abandon my preference of waiting to stay a generation behind, or wait 2 years like I did to get my RX1r

A recent thread about taking RX10m4 for a real hike convinced me more than ever I would leave it at home, so rx100m6 it is.

It finally occurred to me, I could just add the rx100m6 to my m3, and give my m1 to someone, so no real concerns about close brightness.

Bingo, this revelation resulted in a pre-order via Amazon a few minutes ago. I also went for the 3 year square trade accidental plan for $58 ($20/yr on a $1200 camera, less than 2%). Considering using Amazon Prime credit card gives me -5% credit, -$63. it was free. I advocate accidental plans for any MMM gizmo (Miniature, Mobile, Moving parts), especially a new model!

I will have no problem putting m3 in one jacket pocket, m6 in another, and out for the day. Or pick one for the day.

My only concern about m6 is starting at f2.8 and going to f4.5 for reach. I shoot a lot of low light, and motion. No doubt in decent light, bigger brighter RX10m4 could easily beat my current compact zoom, and RX10m4 has twice the optical reach. Some debate in my mind about rx100m6 achievable results, kids sports, compared with my smaller but brighter lens with more reach. I will be showing anyone who cares after I get it.

I will also be trying 10mp 1.4x Smart Zoom (in-camera optical crop no in-camera upscale). I expect some darn good 280mm f4.5 results. I never print large.

If I resize (so I/you won't know which is which) (Bill says I should always resize when posting, I have been lazy) I am pre-convinced, viewing on 23" monitor, printing 8x10, I/you will never see difference of 20mp original from 10mp optical original. Will we see difference of 200mm 20mp to 10mp 1.4x Smart Zoom 280mm? Not quite pre-convinced.

Time will tell. One difference for me, shooting 10mp, will be much less post cropping. Alternate crops will need to be alternate original shots on site, something I already do with my Oly's 12mp smaller sensor because you cannot crop it much. More zoom, now will be 200mm and smart zoom trial 280mm makes it much easier to get closer detail shots on site, (that I now get by cropping later from rx100m3 70mm 20mp shots). And, zoom keeps an old man from having to get his knee wet and back bothered for all the lovely things that grow too short!

I will be comparing the m6 results, especially kids sports, to my smaller sensor constant f2.8 300mm zoom which I get very acceptable results from in decent light.

Nothing is important, if the light sucks, I don't bother taking photos, I wouldn't get anything I would keep. All I ever want is a few good ones, and a trail of their development thru life. That changes when it is travel, and you won't be back, then you want whatever gives you achievable results. For me, fixed lens, jacket pocket/belt case/small shoulder bag size limit.

Then, there is the beloved/hated CIZ, 400mm at 20mp, f4.5. Even more at 10mp. Each generation of Sony's processors advances CIZ results. Time will tell. Keep in mind, I use CIZ for 'occassional, good enough, EFFORTLESS' to get something I would not otherwise get

Timing is perfect, I will have a week here before a week with the grandchildren at the shore to evaluate it. Now, I use my m1 at the beach, wind borne sand, water, moisture, ..., so it will now be m3 for hazardous duty and protect the m6 from the elements.

Deadline for return is day before my birthday, hope to keep it. Actually, does Amazon give you a longer return period?

Oh yeah, I may use flash with the new m6, I forget the m3 has a flash. I am pretty accomplished using flash with strength cut back, shot to shot if called for, I needed to do that with my beloved R1 which has no IS, it's biggest weakness for me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R Sony RX100 VI Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus 1s +1 more
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Harry Hughes1 Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: 70th Birthday Prize: rx100m6 ordered. due 7/11/18

Elliott

That birthday present is the same one that I ordered for my 89th Birthday and it, too, is scheduled for arrival on the 11th.   I traded my 100iii, but will still have the fast lens on my RX1R.   I'll certainly think of you ... and lift a toast to our big day ...after inserting the card and battery, of course.

Harry

Harry Hughes1's gear list:Harry Hughes1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX1R Sony RX100 VI
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762

Congratulations. I've got a birthday coming up in less than 3 weeks. I'm trying to use that as an excuse to move up from the V to the VI. I have a RX10 IV, so I find it hard to justify the cost of the RX100 VI, but sure would like to have the additional reach over the V in that same little package. I'm anxiously awaiting more of you guys and gals to get the new camera and start posting your views about them. I think I'll fall off the fence pretty quickly. I just don't know which side of the fence I'm going to land on.

-- hide signature --

Steve

chuikov Regular Member • Posts: 274

Happy Birthday, Elliot!

I think you made the right choice, and I look forward to seeing the beautiful images you produce with the RX100m6.

Enjoy,

Neil

chuikov's gear list:chuikov's gear list
Sony RX1
Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,228
congrats for looking forward to things to come

enjoy

and the best to you and your family

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus Stylus 1 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
hwvlover
hwvlover Senior Member • Posts: 3,359
Me too

Happy birthday Elliott for when it arrives.

I beat you to the big 70 by a few weeks which is why we are heading off early next week to a couple of weeks indulgence in the Caribbean. Mrs hwv also has a significant birthday during our holiday although her one is significantly less significant than mine. And I still think that the RX10 Mark 4 is the bees knees of such cameras,
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
snappyden
snappyden Senior Member • Posts: 3,156

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I have been jumping around like a cricket: RX10m4 or rx100m6?????? I only do fixed lens Jpegs. Both horrible prices, but as has been true since 2012, both lenses worth the price themselves. Friends at dinner last night were aghast that I (Donna) would spend $1,200. for a pocket camera.

50, 60, 70, these artificial humps when we self delude ourselves, are when I abandon my preference of waiting to stay a generation behind, or wait 2 years like I did to get my RX1r

A recent thread about taking RX10m4 for a real hike convinced me more than ever I would leave it at home, so rx100m6 it is.

It finally occurred to me, I could just add the rx100m6 to my m3, and give my m1 to someone, so no real concerns about close brightness.

Bingo, this revelation resulted in a pre-order via Amazon a few minutes ago. I also went for the 3 year square trade accidental plan for $58 ($20/yr on a $1200 camera, less than 2%). Considering using Amazon Prime credit card gives me -5% credit, -$63. it was free. I advocate accidental plans for any MMM gizmo (Miniature, Mobile, Moving parts), especially a new model!

I will have no problem putting m3 in one jacket pocket, m6 in another, and out for the day. Or pick one for the day.

My only concern about m6 is starting at f2.8 and going to f4.5 for reach. I shoot a lot of low light, and motion. No doubt in decent light, bigger brighter RX10m4 could easily beat my current compact zoom, and RX10m4 has twice the optical reach. Some debate in my mind about rx100m6 achievable results, kids sports, compared with my smaller but brighter lens with more reach. I will be showing anyone who cares after I get it.

I will also be trying 10mp 1.4x Smart Zoom (in-camera optical crop no in-camera upscale). I expect some darn good 280mm f4.5 results. I never print large.

If I resize (so I/you won't know which is which) (Bill says I should always resize when posting, I have been lazy) I am pre-convinced, viewing on 23" monitor, printing 8x10, I/you will never see difference of 20mp original from 10mp optical original. Will we see difference of 200mm 20mp to 10mp 1.4x Smart Zoom 280mm? Not quite pre-convinced.

Time will tell. One difference for me, shooting 10mp, will be much less post cropping. Alternate crops will need to be alternate original shots on site, something I already do with my Oly's 12mp smaller sensor because you cannot crop it much. More zoom, now will be 200mm and smart zoom trial 280mm makes it much easier to get closer detail shots on site, (that I now get by cropping later from rx100m3 70mm 20mp shots). And, zoom keeps an old man from having to get his knee wet and back bothered for all the lovely things that grow too short!

I will be comparing the m6 results, especially kids sports, to my smaller sensor constant f2.8 300mm zoom which I get very acceptable results from in decent light.

Nothing is important, if the light sucks, I don't bother taking photos, I wouldn't get anything I would keep. All I ever want is a few good ones, and a trail of their development thru life. That changes when it is travel, and you won't be back, then you want whatever gives you achievable results. For me, fixed lens, jacket pocket/belt case/small shoulder bag size limit.

Then, there is the beloved/hated CIZ, 400mm at 20mp, f4.5. Even more at 10mp. Each generation of Sony's processors advances CIZ results. Time will tell. Keep in mind, I use CIZ for 'occassional, good enough, EFFORTLESS' to get something I would not otherwise get

Timing is perfect, I will have a week here before a week with the grandchildren at the shore to evaluate it. Now, I use my m1 at the beach, wind borne sand, water, moisture, ..., so it will now be m3 for hazardous duty and protect the m6 from the elements.

Deadline for return is day before my birthday, hope to keep it. Actually, does Amazon give you a longer return period?

Oh yeah, I may use flash with the new m6, I forget the m3 has a flash. I am pretty accomplished using flash with strength cut back, shot to shot if called for, I needed to do that with my beloved R1 which has no IS, it's biggest weakness for me.

Elliot,

Hope you love the new camera.  I just  turned 70 in May and all I got was a lousy (just kidding, it was fabulous!) 3 week trip to France.

Happy birthday to you,

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,750

I'm turning 73 in August and hike with an RX10iv with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'm sure you'll love your RX100vi but do yourself a favor, get an RX10iv too. You only live once.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +9 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,847

Congrats on the new toy Elliott. Enjoy it well. And have a Happy Birthday.

I got the RX10iv for my birthday hitting 76.

You can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it while you can.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,540

I should visit Bill again, and we 3 should pick a spot mid way to Syracuse. Then you will see my lazy Jpeg game in action. It would be a treat to meet and learn from you 2 old dogs.

Damn nor'easter ruined spring visit with Bill, now he is on the road out west, perhaps in the fall.

I want to shoot the Merry  Go Rounds in Binghamton, and I need to drop a McIntosh amp and pre-amp off at the factory, lots of reasons.

Bill is a blast!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R Sony RX100 VI Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus 1s +1 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,750
Yes, Yes, Yes

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I should visit Bill again, and we 3 should pick a spot mid way to Syracuse. Then you will see my lazy Jpeg game in action. It would be a treat to meet and learn from you 2 old dogs.

Damn nor'easter ruined spring visit with Bill, now he is on the road out west, perhaps in the fall.

I want to shoot the Merry Go Rounds in Binghamton, and I need to drop a McIntosh amp and pre-amp off at the factory, lots of reasons.

Bill is a blast!

Please do. I would love the opportunity to participate in a photo outing with you two!!!!

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +9 more
Re: Yes, Yes, Yes

tbcass wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I want to shoot the Merry Go Rounds in Binghamton, and I need to drop a McIntosh amp and pre-amp off at the factory, lots of reasons.

Bill is a blast!

Please do. I would love the opportunity to participate in a photo outing with you two!!!!

It would be grand if we could get Greg to point his motor home up that way. We could try 24fps on his dogs.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Yes, Yes, Yes

Bill's in Vestal, NY, you are in Syracuse correct? I was born in Auburn, lived right on the lake for 8 years before leaving for FL, NC, VA, VT, Brooklyn, NY, NJ.

What of interest is between Bill and you?

Nice thing about fall is the kids are in school, makes everything easier to get in/out of.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,177

First, happy 70th Elliott!  I hope you enjoy every minute of it with your family.

I soon turn 72, so I can testify that there is indeed life after 70.

Congrats on the M6!  I am anxious to see what can be done with one of those by someone of your considerable skill.

Reviews look good on them - they basically cast it as an M5 with a much longer, but slightly slower, lens.  I have come to really like my M5 for field use - it's not perfect (typical dense Sony menu system, etc), but the IQ and capability of that tiny package are nothing short of amazing.

Since I am now free to travel again and am hoping to head to Montana in the motorhome this fall to hunt and explore until I get tired of it; and since that is really big country where the dogs are often a 1/2 mile out; I've been getting tempted by the long lens on the M6.  But, my worry is this:  it's dusty out there from blowing dirt and dry vegetation debris.  Such super-zoom lenses are infamous for sucking in dust like a vacuum cleaner as they move in and out.  And it's not an ILC.  If you get dust in the lens elements or on the sensor, you are looking at a factory repair - nothing you can do yourself.

Does anyone have thoughts on using an M6 super-zoom in a place where the air is full of fine dry dust?

A NY trip in the MH plus actually meeting some of the folks here face-to-face, would be fun, but Joy has never been west and the big skies of MT are calling her and me....  Maybe later in the year?

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Greg, get an extended warranty and use the sucker, pun intended

Thanks for best wishes, we will meet, just a matter of time.

I don't think you should be overly concerned.

Of course I will be careful, but for these reasons:

Dust, water, dog slobber, wind borne sand at the shore, new 2 stage motorized pop-up EVF, new lens, letting grand-kids use it, it's a MMM miniature, mobile, motorized:

I got a 3 year accidental warranty, so I can send the dirt sucking beast in.

One thing I do, while strolling along in NYC or elsewhere, is palm the little thing, face down, still on, simply raise to shoot. Turn it off anytime I want. I set Power Save to 5 minutes, I don't want it turning off just when I see an opportunity. I actually think it uses less power than turning it on and off frequently. This method will minimize lens retraction you are concerned about.

The early rx100m1's had dust on sensor problems. I sent mine in 2 times on warranty, and took it apart and cleaned it myself the 3rd time. Absolutely filthy inside.

I think they made a subtle assembly change when they moved production to China, the complaints stopped, and there really has been no mention of dust on sensor for m3,4,5

I also was quite cavalier with my m1, putting it in my pockets unprotected, I changed to at least a nylon dust sock.

Even then, the spots on my m1 only show up after f8, and diffraction starts at f5.6, and full focus depth is also reached at f5.6, so who cares.

The new m6 lens's point of full focus depth and point of diffraction degradation will need to be established. I am looking forward to more shallow depth of focus capability with the new lens.

You are on Sony warranty I presume. It used to be, within the first year, you could buy Sony extended warranty coverage. Also, IF you bought directly from Sony, you could buy Sony's accidental coverage. All of this may have changed.

I go with Square Trade, they have been quite professional when I need to make a claim.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Mina J
Mina J Senior Member • Posts: 2,816

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Happy Birthday Elliott and Congrats on your new camera. You deserve it and more.

I am looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing what you think of the new cam.  I'm going to be in New York at the Lexington for a conference the end of this month.  I'm taking the RX10M4 and the RX100M3. We are doing some site seeing and I thought the M4 would be better than a FF with a 35mm lens (which I love) for site seeing.  Also we are going on a dinner cruise.

I just might go into B&H and have a look at the RX100M6 and you never know what could happen, especially after I read your take on it 

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750 Nikon D300

When are you going to be here. Perhaps we could meet at B&H, it is right near the train station.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Mina J
Mina J Senior Member • Posts: 2,816

elliottnewcomb wrote:

When are you going to be here. Perhaps we could meet at B&H, it is right near the train station.

Just sent you a PM and that would be great.

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750 Nikon D300
seri_art Senior Member • Posts: 2,767

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I could just add the rx100m6 to my m3

I've been reading all the posts about replacing a prior version of the RX100 with the new M3 model, and always thought why not have both which is exactly what you are doing. For now, I'll stick with my RX100 III but if I ever get the urge for the M6 (for its longer focal length) I'll for sure keep the M3 (for its low-light ability).

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,186

Happy early birthday Elliot! You’re the same age as my mom, and a year older than my dad.  I hope you enjoy your new RX100m6. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

-- hide signature --

Courtney

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Sony RX100 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads